U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-05-2011, 10:56 AM
 
223 posts, read 217,416 times
Reputation: 109

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I couldn't disagree more about Hathaway. She is not an actress, not to mention a good one; she's a movie star. Her preparation for the role of Selina Kyle? She lost 20 lbs. She is certainly better than Katie Holmes but not by much.
I have never met anyone who agrees with you on this. Sounds like she spurned your autograph request at some point. Hathaway routinely generates Oscar buzz, she's a gifted actress. Rachel Getting Married is proof of this.


Also, you say she's "certainly" better than Holmes but "not by much". Sounds to me like you can't make up your mind.

Quote:
Hathaway has been horribly miscast as Selina Kyle. Those pictures look terrible and are pretty much confirmation of what I had been dreading about this film, which sucks b/c the role could have been great had someone else been cast in it. Michelle Pfeiffer was a great Catwoman in Burton's version.
Burton's version was meant to be campy and cartoony. You haven't even seen a live-action shot of Hathaway as Catomwan, how do you already cast judgment? Weird post, to say the least.

Quote:
I also disagree that the character should be done away with; she's a great comic character who shouldn't be eliminated b/c a director interpreted her poorly and/or an actress did a terrible job portraying her on-screen.
Meh, I disagree. And not just because Halle Berry was an abortion. I simply cannot take some skinny woman in a tight suit seriously as a fighter except in camp roles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-05-2011, 11:34 AM
 
Location: Maine
15,072 posts, read 19,718,275 times
Reputation: 17188
Quote:
Originally Posted by OreNative78 View Post
Burton's version was meant to be campy and cartoony.
Agreed. I loved Pee Wee's Big Adventure and Mars Attacks! But I've never seen another Burton film I'd like to watch twice.


Quote:
Originally Posted by OreNative78 View Post
I simply cannot take some skinny woman in a tight suit seriously as a fighter except in camp roles.
I used to agree with you. But then I read Frank Miller's BATMAN: Year One and Ed Brubaker's Catwoman series from a few years ago. Both were not only FANTASTIC comics, but they made Catwoman into a fascinating character. Brubaker's story, in particular, read more like an old film noir hardboiled detective novel. If Nolan can pull that off, good for him. If he's looking back to previous movies or the old TV show, this is going to be campy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2011, 11:39 AM
 
223 posts, read 217,416 times
Reputation: 109
When you start talking comic books, I'm clueless. I have no clue if Nolan adheres more to the comics themselves, or the TV shows. I'd lean toward the former, since nothing about Nolan's Batman resembles the Adam West Batman, but I have no idea.

Frankly, I find the absolute relentless attack from comic-book films to be annoying. Summer films could at least feign an inclination toward originality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2011, 01:08 PM
 
Location: Maine
15,072 posts, read 19,718,275 times
Reputation: 17188
Quote:
Originally Posted by OreNative78 View Post
Summer films could at least feign an inclination toward originality.
Originality is over-rated. I'd rather eat a high quality hamburger than a low quality buffalo hump burrito.

There are no new stories anyway. The last guy to come up with one was probably Homer --- and he very likely stole it from someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2011, 02:22 PM
 
Location: The United States of Amnesia
1,362 posts, read 1,488,867 times
Reputation: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by OreNative78 View Post
I hated both movies. Probably because I can't stand Tobey Maguire, and I think I'm developing a strong aversion to Steve Carell despite being a huge fan of The Office and 40-Year-Old Virgin. I honestly think The Office will be much better without him.

Hathaway at least has an Oscar nod. She has chops. I never really liked the concept of Catwoman, however, so it could be hit or miss. I don't have a problem with the casting, just the character.
Will Ferrell is worst than Steve CArell. Although both actors usually play the same character in every movie. Carell and the guy who plays Dwight and Jim are the main drive for the show.

Hathaway in the picture looks somewhat off. Hopefully, it works on film.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2011, 02:25 PM
 
223 posts, read 217,416 times
Reputation: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Originality is over-rated. I'd rather eat a high quality hamburger than a low quality buffalo hump burrito.

There are no new stories anyway. The last guy to come up with one was probably Homer --- and he very likely stole it from someone.
Agreed, but perhaps we could be treated to something other than a rote facsimile? Inglourious Basters was a superb example of a top-notch summer movie, for instance. Few and far between.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2011, 02:28 PM
 
223 posts, read 217,416 times
Reputation: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klato View Post
Will Ferrell is worst than Steve CArell. Although both actors usually play the same character in every movie. Carell and the guy who plays Dwight and Jim are the main drive for the show.
Will Ferrell isn't replacing Carell, if that was your implication.

At least Ferrell has taken some leaps into drama (Stranger Than Fiction and Everything Must Go). He appears to be aware of how he is typecast and tries to deviate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2011, 03:26 PM
 
Location: Massachusetts
4,033 posts, read 8,245,548 times
Reputation: 4867
Quote:
Originally Posted by OreNative78 View Post
I have never met anyone who agrees with you on this. Sounds like she spurned your autograph request at some point. Hathaway routinely generates Oscar buzz, she's a gifted actress. Rachel Getting Married is proof of this.


Also, you say she's "certainly" better than Holmes but "not by much". Sounds to me like you can't make up your mind.



Burton's version was meant to be campy and cartoony. You haven't even seen a live-action shot of Hathaway as Catomwan, how do you already cast judgment? Weird post, to say the least.



Meh, I disagree. And not just because Halle Berry was an abortion. I simply cannot take some skinny woman in a tight suit seriously as a fighter except in camp roles.
I don't live in a world of absolutes. Hathaway is a better actress than Katie Holmes but that doesn't make her a good actress.

Hathaway "routinely generates Oscar buzz"? Are you serious? She was nominated once for RGM. Her films and her portrayals in them tend to generate high ticket sales, not Oscar buzz.

I happen to not like this actress' work; it's not a crime, some people just don't care for popular, mainstream actors and actresses as others do. If you want to gush like a mindless sycophant, then by all means, go ahead, but to me she's more a well-liked, pretty face than a good actress.

And much as you can accuse me of having judged her performance before I've even seen it, you've done the same thing: you already seem to be under the impression that she's going to be great in the role in spite of those awful pics.

It's going to suck, but I am sure there will be a bunch of people who gush over it b/c it's Nolan's work, just as they did with Inception, which wasn't good, and Memento, which was overrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2011, 03:29 PM
 
223 posts, read 217,416 times
Reputation: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I don't live in a world of absolutes. Hathaway is a better actress than Katie Holmes but that doesn't make her a good actress.

Hathaway "routinely generates Oscar buzz"? Are you serious? She was nominated once for RGM. Her films and her portrayals in them tend to generate high ticket sales, not Oscar buzz.

I happen to not like this actress' work; it's not a crime, some people just don't care for popular, mainstream actors and actresses as others do. If you want to gush like a mindless sycophant, then by all means, go ahead, but to me she's more a well-liked, pretty face than a good actress.
"I don't like her work" is a subjective opinion that you're totally entitled to.
"She's no actress" is an objective attempt at a statement of fact, that's highly dubious given the evidence.

You have no idea how little of a "gushing sycophant" I am with regard to Anne Hathaway. But I am smart enough to recognize she's a well-received, talented actress.

Quote:
And much as you can accuse me of having judged her performance before I've even seen it, you've done the same thing: you already seem to be under the impression that she's going to be great in the role in spite of those awful pics.
Please direct me to the post where I said that. Thank you.

Quote:
It's going to suck, but I am sure there will be a bunch of people who gush over it b/c it's Nolan's work, just as they did with Inception, which wasn't good, and Memento, which was overrated.
You're once again entitled to your incredibly dubious, unsupported opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2011, 03:35 PM
 
Location: Massachusetts
4,033 posts, read 8,245,548 times
Reputation: 4867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Originality is over-rated. I'd rather eat a high quality hamburger than a low quality buffalo hump burrito.

There are no new stories anyway. The last guy to come up with one was probably Homer --- and he very likely stole it from someone.
Yeah, actually, he did
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top