U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 05:21 PM

8,218 posts, read 8,498,682 times

Advertisements

I'm really lucky that NYC has so many options. If you have one in your town, do you support it by going? If you don't have commercial revival theater, do you have a museum that does classic film series?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 06:45 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,163,085 times
I live near Seattle and while there is no theater that is exclusively a revival theater, there are theaters and art houses that do often schedule old movies. The Seattle International Film Festival theater recently showed a restored version of The Bridge on the River Kwai and I enjoyed that very much. Last year, they showed some classic James Bond movies to a packed house. It's great seeing those old movies on the big screen.
I envy you having revival theaters in New York City. I would probably be at one every weekend as I prefer seeing those to most of what comes out today.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:42 AM

22,863 posts, read 64,900,746 times
We don't have one where I live,but it's a small town with only one theater.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:01 AM

10,892 posts, read 13,008,285 times
Yeah there's one right up the street actually.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:55 PM

165 posts, read 243,006 times
If one were put up in South Florida the idiots would throw a fit.

"Who wants to watch a movie they've seen before pfffft"

smh

Old 07-20-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
We don't have one where I live,but it's a small town with only one theater.
In Sweden? Is it a multiplex? Do they show foreign movies, or only Swedish?

Old 07-20-2011, 07:22 PM

21,260 posts, read 20,859,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I'm really lucky that NYC has so many options. If you have one in your town, do you support it by going? If you don't have commercial revival theater, do you have a museum that does classic film series?
The Salt Lake Film Society is currently featuring a "Summer of 35mm" series. From their website...

Pop quiz, hot shot. What's the only theater in Utah that will be showing "Enter the Dragon," "The Godfather: Part II" and "Pee Wee's Big Adventure" as part of the same series this summer?

The Salt Lake Film Society is launching its annual midnight(-ish) movie series, "Summer of 35mm," this weekend with "Repo! The Genetic Opera," and the fun will keep on rolling through Labor Day weekend. Each film in the series will be shown at the Tower Theatre in Salt Lake City at 11 p.m. on Friday and Saturday, with a noon matinee on Sunday.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:12 PM

16,841 posts, read 51,301,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claycassden View Post
If one were put up in South Florida the idiots would throw a fit.

"Who wants to watch a movie they've seen before pfffft"

smh
There used to be quite a few there. There was an art house in Coral Gables just off U.S. 1, There was one that was on Collins in Miami Beach just south of Bay Harbor, There was one in Miami Shores that did that and indies, and both the AMC and Shadowood in Boca had devoted screens to art and foreign product for a while. Kendell had one that alternated between that and dinner theatre/comedy club. There are probably a couple others... Oh yeah, Mitch used to run the stuff at Sunrise and the Mercedes in western Ft. Lauderdale. Not sure if Franks is continuing now that he bailed.

It is a VERY tricky market to make a buck consistently. The audience is small but can be fiercely loyal. However, getting product can be a real problem. Sony and Disney had distribution arms that took a segment... the story is too long and convoluted. I'm sure there are a few blogs run by art and revival houses that could fill you in. Real estate and utilities alone can be brutal. Trying to get a film released after it has made its run can be next to impossible. I know, I've tried a few times for summer series.

The "idiots" show up a couple of times, and quickly find that they can't understand the plot or acting, and discover that the special effects are missing. By the third try, they either start to read and get it or drop out.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:57 AM

22,863 posts, read 64,900,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
In Sweden? Is it a multiplex? Do they show foreign movies, or only Swedish?
It's just one small theater. There is a multiplex in a bigger city half an hour away.
They basically show the major Hollywood productions and also the major swedish ones.
The only other country's movies that are shown are the british movies.
I don't think we even get the biggest german and french movies.
But I haven't been to the movies for 25 years, so I'm not entirely sure.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
It's just one small theater. There is a multiplex in a bigger city half an hour away.
They basically show the major Hollywood productions and also the major swedish ones.
The only other country's movies that are shown are the british movies.
I don't think we even get the biggest german and french movies.
But I haven't been to the movies for 25 years, so I'm not entirely sure.
You haven't been to the movies in 25 years?!? Why? I know people in the U.S. who go to movies less for particular reasons, but no one who has abandoned them altogether. They're really meant to be a group experience in a theater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or