Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 02:38 PM

23,653 posts, read 17,409,910 times

Advertisements

Most actors want nice teeth now and get them done but I know what you are talking about. Some roles are ruined with perfect teeth---like the desperado out in the desert killing people and then smiles and the teeth shows he has been to a Hollywood dentist. LOL It ruins the mood of the movie. I think the make-up department needs to make the teeth look realistic for the period and movie. Maybe a set of false ones to go over the nice ones if the actors will let them touch their perfect teeth.

Some character actors will not get their teeth done since they mostly play the heavy in movies and it will increase their chances for a role. Also, older actors like Jack Nickolaus and Diane Keaton who had their teeth worked on before the super white was in style all have darker teeth. Some decide not to get more work done on their teeth but if the white, white teeth stay in style they may need to. It can be distracting. The younger actors are probably told to get their teeth done and other things enhanced. Some do and some will refuse. It's hard when you think you will lose work if you don't tow the line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 02:49 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,364,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Remember the NATURAL color of teeth is "yellowish".......white teeth are not natural; but another way to make average folks think they need to spend money whitening their teeth to "keep up with the Dental Jones."
Don't know if that's true. I've seen documentaries of tribal people in some places with beautiful white teeth and no access to dentists.

Genetics, diet, and care are all factors.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:09 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Most actors want nice teeth now and get them done but I know what you are talking about. Some roles are ruined with perfect teeth---like the desperado out in the desert killing people and then smiles and the teeth shows he has been to a Hollywood dentist. LOL It ruins the mood of the movie. I think the make-up department needs to make the teeth look realistic for the period and movie. Maybe a set of false ones to go over the nice ones if the actors will let them touch their perfect teeth.

Some character actors will not get their teeth done since they mostly play the heavy in movies and it will increase their chances for a role. Also, older actors like Jack Nickolaus and Diane Keaton who had their teeth worked on before the super white was in style all have darker teeth. Some decide not to get more work done on their teeth but if the white, white teeth stay in style they may need to. It can be distracting. The younger actors are probably told to get their teeth done and other things enhanced. Some do and some will refuse. It's hard when you think you will lose work if you don't tow the line.
I agree. I was just thinking that the other day. Atleast be appropriate for the role. For instance, the new remake of Conan. I saw the preview today in the theatre. The main guy (Conan) has perfect teeth. Come on now. Were talking B.C or older here. It just doesn't make sense. It can ruin the mood for a movie if you are looking for realism and make them accountable for their presentation and detail. I do. Not enough films have authenticity to them.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:53 PM

16,233 posts, read 27,273,573 times
David Bowie was so hot with his slightly imperfect British teeth - think Jareth in the movie Labyrinth...and now, when I saw him more recently, he has those unfortunate looking capped teeth. Sigh. What a shame.

This is one trend I hope loses some steam in the future. Perfect teeth are way overrated, and usually look about as natural as Pamela Anderson's boobs.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:12 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,574,571 times
So they can look like this http://www.lilligren.com/Redneck/ima...og_teeth_3.jpg

Old 08-19-2011, 05:51 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,940,001 times
......Because most of them "chew the scenery" so much.

Old 08-20-2011, 03:34 AM

8,226 posts, read 13,304,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
And to quote my Dentist I have lovely strong, and healthy creamy teeth. They shall never be white unless I try to destroy them with bleaches and I don't really see why I should be expected to , to be honest.
One of late Mitch Hedberg's lines: "I was gonna have my teeth whitened but I decided to get a tan instead".

Old 08-20-2011, 03:35 AM

8,226 posts, read 13,304,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
And to quote my Dentist I have lovely strong, and healthy creamy teeth. They shall never be white unless I try to destroy them with bleaches and I don't really see why I should be expected to , to be honest.
One of late Mitch Hedberg's lines: I was gonna get my teeth whitened but I said "Forget that, I will get a tan instead!".

Mitch Hedberg 2004 Just For Laughs gala - YouTube

Old 08-20-2011, 07:39 AM

3,845 posts, read 7,913,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
Google a pic of the actor Steve Buscemi from his first movie role in the miniseries "Lonesome Dove." It just might restore some faith for you in the authenticity of American cinema.
(And maybe even make you a little homesick, too.)

So, go "czech" it out!
Shelley Duvall too.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:43 AM

615 posts, read 1,671,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by czechmate View Post
Obviously i haven't watched every american movie so i can't know if it that actually is true. But from what i can remember i have not seen an american movie close to every actor has had completely white and regular teeth. Why is it so? Is it sponsored by cosmetic dental industry to make everyone want to have teeth like that? It looks ridiculous when everyone has that.

I am not sure if ALL have "perfect/white" teeth. However, considering their choice of career and how they are in the spot light it would behoove them to be as "perfect" as possible.

Not a career I would enjoy. No privacy, being chased down by the paparazzi/stalkers, etc......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies