U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 06:13 PM

4,033 posts, read 8,245,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Well, you're wrong. I've been reading the Ultimate line from the beginning, and all of the creators --- Bill Jemas, Joe Quesada, Brian Bendis, Mark Millar --- said from Day 1 that the intention of the Ultimate line was twofold:

1.) To bring the Marvel universe into the "modern" era. Lots of the classic Marvel heroes were born out of WWII, the Cold War, and the nuclear scare, which resonated with audiences of the '60s. Audiences of the 21st century don't relate as much. We live in an era of genetic engineering, terrorism, and Big Business seeming far more of a menace than the Reds. Were teens part of the target audience? You bet! But they were not the sole focus. The Ultimate line was not intended to be the "teen line." Spidey is a teen, yes. But Spidey has ALWAYS been a teen to begin with. That's just who Spider-Man is. Same with the X-Men (the other title that launched the Ultimate line). But the Ultimates ... all adults.

2.) A fresh start continuitywise. One of the great appeals of Marvel Comics over the ages was that they were all so connected, not only in one book from issue to issue, but between books as well. It makes for a great, coherent universe, but after 35 years of intense continuity, it made the stories inaccessible to new readers. You couldn't just "jump in" and know what was going on. So the Ultimate line "reset" the continuity. A fresh start.

Well, I still think you're wrong, though perhaps I'm just quibbling over "recent." But nearly every superhero movie ever made --- from the big and successful ones like Superman to the lesser known like The Crow --- make the origin the primary focus of the first movie. What Nolan did is that he did this REALLY well and made very successful films.

You're basing the entire quality of the film off one trailer???

You may well be right. I hope not, but I honestly don't know. But making up your mind to hate a movie before you've even seen the movie ... why? You'd think it was the Smurfs or something.
When did I say that I "hate" this movie?! I never said that; what I said was that the trailer and/or the film's premise/reconceptualization did not appeal to me, and that I will therefore not be seeing the movie. Why did you even post the trailer (or the film execs make a trailer) if not to give people an idea of what the film is all about? That's sort of its whole point. I'm certainly not going to feel guilty that I didn't like the trailer or that I am not going to see the film b/c of it. I'm glad you liked it, but I am not you.

And while the target audience of the Spidey comics is something to debate (I think it's best to keep the two mediums separate b/c they are so different), IMHO the target audience of this new Spidey film is clear: you said yourself that TM was "too old" to play the part and that Spidey has always been a teen in the comic. While Ramie might be making his choices re: this film out of consideration for the comic, it's naive not to see the Hollywood marketing strategists in all of this. The sudden "reboot" on the heels of the last franchise with new and younger stars tell me that the film is trying to recycle itself once again to make $$ off of an entirely new generation to whom the film will now appeal in the same way that the last franchise appealed to the exact same target audience years ago.

That said, my not seeing it makes sense: I'm not the target audience. It isn't really rocket science to see why this film wouldn't appeal to someone who was the target audience of the last franchise. And I'm certainly not going to see a film whose trailer doesn't appeal to me.

And I wouldn't compare it to The Smurfs; I think it's closer to the Twilight series.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 07:36 PM

5,207 posts, read 5,961,716 times
Quote:
That's part of who Spidey is. You can't take that away any more than you can take away Superman being from Krypton.
Dead parents?? Ive never seen that aspect of Peter Parker. Just the Aunt & Uncle, but I never seen the parents mentioned.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:17 PM

15,072 posts, read 19,718,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Dead parents?? Ive never seen that aspect of Peter Parker. Just the Aunt & Uncle, but I never seen the parents mentioned.
The reason Peter lives with his Aunt and Uncle is that his parents are dead.

In the original comics, I don't know that it was ever explained. In Ultimate Spiderman, Peter's parents were murdered.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:19 PM

15,072 posts, read 19,718,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
When did I say that I "hate" this movie?! I never said that; what I said was that the trailer and/or the film's premise/reconceptualization did not appeal to me, and that I will therefore not be seeing the movie.
Fair enough.

Quote:
IMHO the target audience of this new Spidey film is clear: you said yourself that TM was "too old" to play the part and that Spidey has always been a teen in the comic.
The two points are not related.

Quote:
And I wouldn't compare it to The Smurfs; I think it's closer to the Twilight series.
Haven't seen either of them. Don't intend to.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:09 PM

5,368 posts, read 4,866,204 times
I think they chose a wrong actor. I think of Peter Parker as being cute and nerdy (Andrew Garfield can only pull off the latter), and Andrew is already too old for this role. He is 27 and he is playing a 17 year old? Wasn't Spiderman in the age range of 17-24 or something? How can Andrew reboot this series when he will be in his 30s when and if there is sequel?

Old 07-25-2011, 07:47 AM

14,693 posts, read 22,464,412 times
Quote:
The reason Peter lives with his Aunt and Uncle is that his parents are dead.

In the original comics, I don't know that it was ever explained. In Ultimate Spiderman, Peter's parents were murdered.
They were government operatives who were finished by The Finisher (hehe).

Richard and Mary Parker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-26-2011, 09:25 AM

10,652 posts, read 11,343,767 times
I don't like this Emo Parker......the whole "Twilight-looking" vibe of the big hair....

Old 07-26-2011, 04:11 PM

1,362 posts, read 1,488,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
I think they chose a wrong actor. I think of Peter Parker as being cute and nerdy (Andrew Garfield can only pull off the latter), and Andrew is already too old for this role. He is 27 and he is playing a 17 year old? Wasn't Spiderman in the age range of 17-24 or something? How can Andrew reboot this series when he will be in his 30s when and if there is sequel?
Good point! Also, i feel as though it's too early to do a reboot of spiderman. There are a lot of Marvel characters that they can do a movie about like Silver Surfer,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or