U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 08:59 AM

27,237 posts, read 15,024,326 times

Advertisements

I don't know any GROWN-UPS that movie hop. YES, it is wrong and I think we all know that.

Sheesh.

YES, when I was a teen-ager, I paid for one movie (rated PG) and sneaked into anther movie (rated R) and quickly learned my lesson. It was rated R for violence (of course, we were looking for s e x) and when the blood started spurting - we got out of there.

It was the one and only time I've ever done that and I was well aware that it was WRONG.

I can't imagine where you live that parents would actually encourage this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 09:09 AM

32,538 posts, read 29,319,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buburuza13 View Post
Parents hier in South California are very fine with that.They encourage this and do it themselves!!!.
I don't know one single SoCal parent who is fine with it. And I don't know any who encourage their children to do it. None.

It's stealing. I'm assuming you don't know anyone employed in the industry because just mentioning this to them would get you a 20 minute lecture on ethics and economics.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:11 AM

12,976 posts, read 11,788,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Yawn. Another post from this poster about how awful American parents are compared to European parents. I don't know any parents that would encourage this behavior, although I'm sure there are some who do - I just doubt the US has cornered the bad parenting market.
Good point MM.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:35 PM

15,287 posts, read 16,833,735 times
No American parents I know encourage this behavior. I cannot imagine who the OP has been talking to.

Old 07-23-2011, 03:52 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
If I were a theater owner, I wouldn't care. I get the ten bucks at the boxoffice, and it's OK with me if the ticket holder occupies an otherwise-empty seat at a couple of extra screenings. My cost of showing the pictures is fixed, and the only difference is how many people gave me their ten bucks.

If I hired personnel to crack down, I'd lose money just by paying their salary. How many movie hoppers can there be, with enough free time to spend 6 hours in my cineplex? Plus, I'd lose the ten bucks from the people who discover that that they can't movie hop at my cinema, and go somewhere else.

In fact, I'd publicly advertise that my tickets are good for the whole day, and people can movie hop all they want. Or specify a couple of slow days a week a screen-hopper days. Just get them inside the building, grab their ten bucks, and I make money. For certain highly popular features, I'd just specify "reserved seating only, all-day tickets not honored".

Old 07-23-2011, 03:58 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,319,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
If I were a theater owner, I wouldn't care.
That's fine if you're a theater owner. You can always charge more for popcorn. (Which is what they do to make money on $5.00 early bird admissions.)

Not so much for someone who is on the crew. Or a shareholder in a studio/production company.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 07-23-2011 at 04:13 PM..

Old 07-23-2011, 04:18 PM

3,741 posts, read 2,915,749 times
Quote:
If I were a theater owner, I wouldn't care. I get the ten bucks at the boxoffice, and it's OK with me if the ticket holder occupies an otherwise-empty seat at a couple of extra screenings. My cost of showing the pictures is fixed, and the only difference is how many people gave me their ten bucks.

If I hired personnel to crack down, I'd lose money just by paying their salary. How many movie hoppers can there be, with enough free time to spend 6 hours in my cineplex? Plus, I'd lose the ten bucks from the people who discover that that they can't movie hop at my cinema, and go somewhere else.

In fact, I'd publicly advertise that my tickets are good for the whole day, and people can movie hop all they want. Or specify a couple of slow days a week a screen-hopper days. Just get them inside the building, grab their ten bucks, and I make money. For certain highly popular features, I'd just specify "reserved seating only, all-day tickets not honored".

We don't movie hop, but I kinda agree with this.

Dew, can you explain how it affects that shareholder in the movie? I am really curious. It seems to me that the money is made per *screening* of the film.

If you have a theater with 300 seats, and only sell 150 tickets to the 7:30 showing, does anyone really lose money if 10 people who saw a different movie at 5:00 sit in the empty seats for the 7:30 show? Those seats didn't sell anyway.

I really am curious, here.

And WHAT IF those 10 people bought more popcorn before hopping into the 7:30 show?

Old 07-23-2011, 04:19 PM

1,369 posts, read 1,726,570 times
Yeah, well, maybe if movie tickets weren't ridiculous expensive, less people would feel inclined to movie hop.

Old 07-23-2011, 04:24 PM

4,541 posts, read 9,495,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltheEndofTime View Post
Yeah, well, maybe if movie tickets weren't ridiculous expensive, less people would feel inclined to movie hop.
Well I suppose we could apply that logic to anything then we feel is too expensive, and so we have the right to steal - how about gas?

If it's too expensive and you can't afford it, then don't go. Good grief.

Old 07-23-2011, 04:34 PM

25,907 posts, read 34,966,446 times
Quote:

I don't movie hop because I think it's unethical, but I have a fuzzy time figuring out why because I do agree with the above. If 50 people buy tickets for a movie and there are 20 empty seats left over, it doesn't cost the theater owner anything extra if five more people use the empty seats. It's unfair to the people who did pay--I can see that--but it's not like sneaking onto a bus or helping yourself to the salad bar because the plates are right there. It's not as black and white for me, but it would feel wrong enough for me not to do it.

I like the idea of all-day movie passes, but they'd probably be cost-prohibitive to the ordinary consumer who just wants one movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or