U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2011, 01:40 PM

7,843 posts, read 11,137,853 times

Advertisements

I thought they did a really nice job with this last movie.
I do have a question - I don't think its a spoiler but just in case I will put it spoilers

Spoiler
Harry has the Resurrection Stone in his hand but drops it on the forest floor well before he goes on to face LV. He gets hit falls down, sees Dumbledore (Do I have that sequence right I'm already forgetting) is alive when Draco's mother checks him....so when does he use the resurrection stone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 05:29 PM

2,514 posts, read 5,162,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I thought they did a really nice job with this last movie.
I do have a question - I don't think its a spoiler but just in case I will put it spoilers

Spoiler
Harry has the Resurrection Stone in his hand but drops it on the forest floor well before he goes on to face LV. He gets hit falls down, sees Dumbledore (Do I have that sequence right I'm already forgetting) is alive when Draco's mother checks him....so when does he use the resurrection stone?
Spoiler
The Resurrection Stone is not the reason he came back from the dead. The Resurrection Stone was used for him to see everyone who he has ever loved who have died. He came back from the dead after talking to Dumbledore and decided he had to go back to finish off LV.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:13 PM

25,084 posts, read 13,910,330 times
I bought my tickets early for this flick and it was exciting... People were all dressed up in character they cheered when appropriate and I liked the movie, the audience definitely made it more pleasurable. The second time I saw it I was thinking there must be another.... However the ending was very final unless it is going to be a next generation...

Old 07-25-2011, 06:06 PM

4,112 posts, read 3,685,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
Spoiler
The Resurrection Stone is not the reason he came back from the dead. The Resurrection Stone was used for him to see everyone who he has ever loved who have died. He came back from the dead after talking to Dumbledore and decided he had to go back to finish off LV.
this is correct...

Old 07-26-2011, 07:12 AM

2,514 posts, read 5,162,282 times
Having a Harry Potter fan in the family, we've now seen this movie twice, both in 3D and IMAX. I strongly suggest IMAX.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:19 AM

2,187 posts, read 6,578,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
Spoiler
Fantastic Answer. I am contemplating seeing this again in IMAX but I saw it in a theatre with pretty great sound which added a lot. I was worried that the darkness of the movie (the filming process - not the substance) would make the 3D option horrible but was pleasantly surprised. I know I can't wait for the Blu-Ray collection to come out.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:00 AM

10,012 posts, read 5,740,935 times
I disagree with the answer; here is my explanation:

Spoiler
Harry was not actually 'dead'. When Voldermor hit Harry with the killing curse he only killed that piece of Voldermor's soul that was inhabiting Harry (one curse kills one soul). Harry was, of course, knocked out, which is when he had his vision in which he appeared at the train station and talked with Dumbledore, and saw that part of Voldermor's soul dying. When Harry asked Dumbledore if their converation was real or in his (Harry's) mind, Dumbledor answered 'In your mind, of course'.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:45 AM

1,955 posts, read 3,626,274 times
Spoiler

Hmmm, I always thought it had something to do with the fact that the Elder Wand, which Valdemort was using really had loyalties to Harry, so Voldemort could not use the wand to its full power. So when he used the killing curse, it only put Harry to near death.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:43 AM

10,012 posts, read 5,740,935 times
Spoiler
Good point. Perhaps if V. had used his own wand, his killing curse would have killed both Harry and himself (i.e., his fragment of soul in Harry). Since it was 'Harry's' wand, it would not kill Harry

Old 07-27-2011, 03:34 PM

213 posts, read 696,408 times
Spoiler

The books explain it in much greater detail then the movies did. The whole Deathly Hallows theme was not as fleshed out as the Horcrux theme in the movie.

1. Harry was the eight Horcrux; a Horcrux that Voldemort did not intend to make. When Voldemort tried to kill Harry, the killing-curse backfired on him. In the process, a part of his soul detached from his body and latched on to Harry, making Harry a Horcrux.

When Voldemort tried to kill Harry in the Forbidden Forest, what he actually managed to destroy was his own fragment of soul living inside Harry. Harry was merely knocked out (which is when the whole King's Cross thing takes place) as was Voldemort because another part of his soul died.

2. Second reason why Harry did not die that night in the Forbidden Forest was because the Elder Wand that Voldemort was using did not consider Voldemort to be his true master. Voldemort did not realize that Harry was the true master of the wand, as he had disarmed Draco, who had earlier disarmed Dumbledore, the original master of the wand. Hence, when Voldemort tried to use the killing curse on Harry, the wand realized that Harry was it's master, so would not kill him.

3. The third factor that MIGHT have been one of the reason why Harry survived was because he was the master of all the three Hallows, something that the movie skipped over. By the time the showdown took place in the Forbidden Forest, Harry had the Resurrection Stone, the Invisibility Cloak and finally the Elder Wand that considered Harry to be it's master. Whoever is the master of the three Hallows can cheat death, and that is what Harry did.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies