U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 04:54 AM

18,107 posts, read 16,444,002 times

Advertisements

I saw the trailer for the movie and I'd like to get people reactions to it. I saw the first movie in theater and it was an almost perfect horror film. I thought the ending was a little off if only beacuse at the very end I thought that Macready would have torched Childs. LOL, we had a friend who could do The Thing shriek (Reeeee!!!!!) and would do it and catch us off guard for weeks afterward.
Awesome movie. The prequel looks.... iffy. They added a female lead scientist which seems kind of old hat. Didn't we see that in the sequel of Alien in the south Pole( a bad film, the Alien franchise got progressively worse and only had two good ones, the first two).An American helicopter pilot. Nothing new there, instant comparisons to Macready. If the lady scientist is compared to Ripley, uh oh. I still mourn the Ripley character after the way she degenerated so badly as the Alien sequels wore on.
I think they should have done it more low key and kept the special effects to a minimum. If they have big CGI effects it won't make it any more scary, the scary parts of the original film were the paranoia and suspense.
One last thing, what exactly was The Thing? It seemed like a virus type creature, living off a host and using it to replicate itself. That is an almost unstoppable creature, although it might have a limited cellular lifespan causing it to need to feed and reproduce at a level difficult for it to sustain itself. And that would make it almost impossible to defend against, if you breathe any of its cells released into the air, you're infected.( we breathe nasty stuff everyday)
My personal take on it was that it was a sort of bio contructed lifeform sent to collect samples of life it encountered. Its space ship crashed and nothing more of it was heard of so the aliens never followed up. It would assimilate lifeforms and return with their genetic material catalogued. I don't know how it could retain a higher intelligence if seperated from its main original parent creature and I don't know if it was more hostile or just defensive. I'd like to think its ultimate goal would have been to rebuild its space ship or recreate one and then just leave earth. I think it would have had the intelligence and memories of those it assimilated at least.
We'll have to wait to see if its good or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 10:34 AM

3,074 posts, read 3,974,691 times
Did you know the first "The Thing" movie was released in the 1950's. James Arness (Who later became Matt Dillon on Gunsmoke) played the monster but you couldn't recognize him. It was in black & white, but pretty scary for it's time. Don't know if the new preqel will follow the original plot wherein the Thing just slaughtered people rather than transformed into them.
I will be interested to see the new trailer............

Old 07-27-2011, 11:09 AM

18,107 posts, read 16,444,002 times
I'm trying to think how they could possibly get actors to equal the original cast. Kurt Russell did great action scenes and a detached comedic take of a guy on the edge. Wilford Brimley was so cool when he went nuts and him being a murderous creature at the end was scary. The other guys were relative unknowns but thye seemed real. The characters all seemed real, ordinary. Maybe not Russell as Macready as much but he was a bigger star.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:37 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,552,557 times
This is going to be bad. Think about the reasons why. They intentionally are using a woman so that it can be like Ripley from Aliens. Btw Alien, Aliens, Alien 3 were the best Alien films possible and everything after that was horrible. I cannot see what was wrong with Alien 3 other than people not getting it. Too philosophical or something???

‪The Thing leaked teaser trailer.mkv‬‏ - YouTube

Old 07-27-2011, 02:05 PM

15,924 posts, read 16,847,914 times
The original movie as Pawporri pointed out was made back in the '50's (and was just on the other night).....

The alien was a highly complex vegetable.

The movie the OP talks about was the poorly done remake, and now there is ANOTHER remake of this flick?

Hollywood's creativity has really gone to the dogs........

Old 07-27-2011, 03:06 PM

10,324 posts, read 12,409,777 times
Default "That's not a dog, it's imitation....."

While it's a great story that I will still go to see, i doubt they can replicate the paranoia, great chemistry of the original cast and the SPECIAL EFFECTS. Rob Bottin's effects were ahead of it's time back then. The cast were regular people that audiences could identify with and had characters you actually cared about. This will probably be jumpy scares and a lot of "Some of us aren't human" musings. In that order. I am a big John Carpenter fan and hope they don't shame the original story.

I would love to see carpenter's Prince of darkness remade though. Great story but cheesy production.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:56 PM

3,074 posts, read 3,974,691 times
Carpenter's remake of the original had some good spots but remakes just never measure up to the original made in the 50's.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:01 PM

12,977 posts, read 28,798,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I would love to see carpenter's Prince of darkness remade though. Great story but cheesy production.
That would be AWESOME!!

Old 07-28-2011, 09:41 AM

17,579 posts, read 38,288,152 times
I loved that movie. The scene where everyone is tied up in chairs and they test the blood is great. It was also a very good book if I remember.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:20 AM

7,644 posts, read 5,636,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
Carpenter's remake of the original had some good spots but remakes just never measure up to the original made in the 50's.
That is exactly right.

This morning when I ran across this thread was the first I've heard of this new movie....and for a moment I was excited. Because the 1951 original of the same name was one of two sci-fi films made that year that remain at the top of my list of the best ever. The other, of course, was Michael Rennie's original version of The Day the Earth Stood Still.

But I quickly remembered what was done to the 1951 masterpiece in The Day the Earth Stood Still's 2008 remake and read further and found this new film is based on the 1982 remake, which bore little resemblance to the 1951 classic.

So much for excitement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies