U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 09:11 AM

15,072 posts, read 19,718,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
Yeah, well, it isn't much of a stretch for Keanu to play the role of someone who is "brain-baked" is it? LOL.
My point exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 08:18 PM

2,278 posts, read 2,102,185 times
Here's a list of the types of actors that I, personally, consider to be part of the group I described as...
Quote:
"comedic" actors that star in moronic, drunken, frat-guy, toilet humor and sex joke films that contribute to the dumbing down of America.
Ricky Gervais (is vile)
David Spade
Dana Carvey
Will Ferrell
Martin Short
Robin Williams
Jim Carrey
Chris Kattan
Jack Black
Chevy Chase
Jimmy Fallon
Jon Lovitz
Norm Macdonald
Tina Fey
Billy Crystal
Whoopie Goldberg
Janeane Garofalo
Molly Shannon
Tracy Morgan
Tom Hanks
Gilbert Gottfried
Eddie Murphy (younger days)
Bill Murray
Mike Myers
Adam Sandler
Steve Carell
Cheech and Chong
Amy Poehler
Seth Rogan
Sacha Baron Cohen
Zach Galifianakis
Dane Cook
Stephen Colbert
Jon Stewart
Rob Schneider
Chris Rock
Ashton Kutcher
Jason Schwartzman
Woody Allen
Steve Martin
Bill Murray

Lastly, someone who doesn't qualify in the above category but is an actress who I think is one of the most vile, horrible, unbearable women alive is Rosie Perez.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:38 AM

22,863 posts, read 64,900,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
Here's a list of the types of actors that I, personally, consider to be part of the group I described as...

Ricky Gervais (is vile)
David Spade
Dana Carvey
Will Ferrell
Martin Short
Robin Williams
Jim Carrey
Chris Kattan
Jack Black
Chevy Chase
Jimmy Fallon
Jon Lovitz
Norm Macdonald
Tina Fey
Billy Crystal
Whoopie Goldberg
Janeane Garofalo
Molly Shannon
Tracy Morgan
Tom Hanks
Gilbert Gottfried
Bill Murray
Mike Myers
Adam Sandler
Steve Carell
Cheech and Chong
Amy Poehler
Seth Rogan
Sacha Baron Cohen
Zach Galifianakis
Dane Cook
Stephen Colbert
Jon Stewart
Rob Schneider
Chris Rock
Ashton Kutcher
Jason Schwartzman
Woody Allen
Steve Martin
Bill Murray

Lastly, someone who doesn't qualify in the above category but is an actress who I think is one of the most vile, horrible, unbearable women alive is Rosie Perez.
Really?
It certainly fits some of them but you should take another look at them.
For one example,can you please tell me when Woody Allen has been a drunken moronic frat guy?
Or Tom Hanks?
Or Billy Crystal?
Or Robin Williams?
Or Steve Martin?

Old 07-29-2011, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Really?
It certainly fits some of them but you should take another look at them.
For one example,can you please tell me when Woody Allen has been a drunken moronic frat guy?
Or Tom Hanks?
Or Billy Crystal?
Or Robin Williams?
Or Steve Martin?
I didn't meant to imply that all the people I listed played drunken frat guys. I meant that they played those kind of moronic, imbeciles with immature humor.

However, now that you mention it, I can't think of much that Billy Crystal has done along that line. I shouldn't have really listed him with the others. I mean, I don't care for his acting and I think his humor is childish but not in the way that the others are.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:25 AM

1,900 posts, read 1,679,355 times
^^^ Hey plain and simple, you forgot Pauly Shore.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:02 AM

1,034 posts, read 3,729,148 times
Quote:

Ricky Gervais (is vile)
David Spade
Dana Carvey
Will Ferrell
Martin Short
Robin Williams
Jim Carrey
Chris Kattan
Jack Black
Chevy Chase
Jimmy Fallon
Jon Lovitz
Norm Macdonald
Tina Fey
Billy Crystal
Whoopie Goldberg
Janeane Garofalo
Molly Shannon
Tracy Morgan
Tom Hanks
Gilbert Gottfried
Bill Murray
Mike Myers
Adam Sandler
Steve Carell
Cheech and Chong
Amy Poehler
Seth Rogan
Sacha Baron Cohen
Zach Galifianakis
Dane Cook
Stephen Colbert
Jon Stewart
Rob Schneider
Chris Rock
Ashton Kutcher
Jason Schwartzman
Woody Allen
Steve Martin
Bill Murray

I think it is silly to list Tom Hanks and Gilbert Gottfried in the same list. Tom Hanks has done some great comedies (Big), but he is also a poignant dramatic actor in roles such as The Green Mile, Philadelphia, and Cast Away.

So I guess you're not a Saturday Night Live fan then?

Old 07-29-2011, 10:08 AM

3,225 posts, read 6,122,282 times
Quote:

So have you seen any of those actors/actresses you don't like play any roles that you really did like? Otherwise just listing ones you don't like should probably be another thread...

I would add Nicole Kidman in To Die For and Rene Zellweger in Cold Mountain

Old 07-29-2011, 10:10 AM

1,034 posts, read 3,729,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Any actors/actresses who you normally don't like, but surprised you by a decent or even outstanding performance in a little-known film?

-David Arquette as an Auschwitz inmate and crematorium worker in The Grey Zone

-Colin Farrell as a Russian professional thief in a Siberian Gulag in The Way Back

-Cameron Diaz as a mousy wife turned lesbian in Being John Malkovich
I can't stand Kevin Costner and think he pretty much portrays the same dumb, emotionless sap in every film he does. Heaven forbid he attempt to do an accent (Robin Hood).

But I cannot imagine anyone else in his role in The Untouchables. I also think he performed well in JFK and Dances with Wolves.

These are probably larger scale movies than what you're looking for, but he is my best example of an actor I detest giving a couple great performances under the right director.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySpice View Post
^^^ Hey plain and simple, you forgot Pauly Shore.
Thank you, yes! My list is definitely not complete. And there should be more women on it.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjan1225 View Post
I think it is silly to list Tom Hanks and Gilbert Gottfried in the same list. Tom Hanks has done some great comedies (Big), but he is also a poignant dramatic actor in roles such as The Green Mile, Philadelphia, and Cast Away.

So I guess you're not a Saturday Night Live fan then?
I understand your point. I really do. Tom Hanks was a personal debate within myself to include or not. His earlier work was good. It was fun. He was only moronic a few times. However, the Tom Hanks over the last few years has gotten on my nerves big time, comedic acting or serious, and I no longer like him so I included him!

But, you're right. I loathe Saturday Night Live. It's an embarrassment to America that we've let it go on for decades as representative of America's humor. Sadly, now, it's the perfect example of America's humor - asinine, crude, ludicrous, infantile, embarrassing, and always at someone else's expense.

Note: Yes, people should be able to not take themselves too seriously and be able to laugh at themselves, too, but that's not the kind of "at someone else's expense" I'm talking about. I'm talking about the cruel and vicious kind. The American public LOVES watching the downfall and public humiliation of others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or