U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 12:00 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,100,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
So have you seen any of those actors/actresses you don't like play any roles that you really did like? Otherwise just listing ones you don't like should probably be another thread...

I would add Nicole Kidman in To Die For and Rene Zellweger in Cold Mountain
Yes, I did. In my original post I mentioned how brilliant I thought Jim Carrey was in The Truman Show. I said I normally didn't like him because of his moronic humor. That led to me later explaining what I meant.

But, you're right. I've taken my point down a rabbit trail and I apologize to those keeping on topic. Thanks for the correction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 12:13 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,100,678 times
Back on track, here's another one...

Jack Black in The Holiday. He was great in that. For me, that was his "one hit wonder" moment.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:15 PM

18 posts, read 13,731 times
I liked Robin Williams in the Al Pacino movie (I forgot the name) but I also liked him in a movie he played a warped character in a film developing dept (24 hour?). He plays a great bad guy!
Ever catch him as a baddie in Law & Order: SVU? Awesome!

Old 07-29-2011, 02:09 PM

15,320 posts, read 40,416,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
But, you're right. I loathe Saturday Night Live. It's an embarrassment to America that we've let it go on for decades as representative of America's humor. Sadly, now, it's the perfect example of America's humor - asinine, crude, ludicrous, infantile, embarrassing, and always at someone else's expense.
SNL was great for the first thirty years or so.
It has gone downhill the last fifteen years and should have been cancelled in 1996.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:24 AM

3,225 posts, read 4,217,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knights68 View Post
I liked Robin Williams in the Al Pacino movie (I forgot the name) but I also liked him in a movie he played a warped character in a film developing dept (24 hour?). He plays a great bad guy!
Ever catch him as a baddie in Law & Order: SVU? Awesome!
One Hour Photo was decent enough. I thought Williams did a good job but the other actors were rather lousy.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:06 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,085,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjan1225 View Post
I can't stand Kevin Costner and think he pretty much portrays the same dumb, emotionless sap in every film he does. Heaven forbid he attempt to do an accent (Robin Hood).

But I cannot imagine anyone else in his role in The Untouchables. I also think he performed well in JFK and Dances with Wolves.

These are probably larger scale movies than what you're looking for, but he is my best example of an actor I detest giving a couple great performances under the right director.
Great example. I don't think much of Costner's apathetic, lifeless acting but he really performed well in the few films you mention.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:26 AM

38,762 posts, read 39,480,640 times
I don't usually like James Woods nor Glenn Close, but I thought they were both wonderful in "Immediate Family".

Same for Armando Assante and Antonio Banderas in "Mambo Kings".

I try to steer away from pictures with the Culkin children in them, but Rory was excellent in "You Can Count on Me".

I had wonderful hopes for Owen Wilson when I saw him in "Minus Man", but then he immediately morphed into the most dreaded actor in the history of drama.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:15 PM

25,632 posts, read 32,608,884 times
I agree with Jim Carrey in The Truman Show and Renee Zellweger in Cold Mountain. I'll even go so far as to suggest Will Farrell in Bewitched, only because he didn't annoy me to the point of switching the channel immediately.

The first movie I saw Meryl Streep in that I didn't hate her acting or her character was Out of Africa. I've liked most everything she's done since.

I'm not fond of Shirley MacLaine, but loved her in Defending Your Life.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:21 AM

356 posts, read 814,433 times
First first person that comes to mind - Sylvester Stallone in Rocky (76' Academy Award for Best Picture). Academy award nominee for Best Actor and Writer. The rest of his career is history.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:04 AM

3,769 posts, read 4,166,138 times
Not a Will Smith fan but I loved his performance in The Pursuit of Happiness.

Almost won me back with that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies