U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 09:55 AM

21,026 posts, read 15,233,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjan1225 View Post
I can't stand Kevin Costner and think he pretty much portrays the same dumb, emotionless sap in every film he does. Heaven forbid he attempt to do an accent (Robin Hood).

But I cannot imagine anyone else in his role in The Untouchables. I also think he performed well in JFK and Dances with Wolves.

These are probably larger scale movies than what you're looking for, but he is my best example of an actor I detest giving a couple great performances under the right director.
I had a similar feelings about Kevin Costner until I saw him in "Upside of Anger" and "Open Range." I thought he was absolutely terrific in those.

The other one is Tom Cruise. With the exception of "'Magnolia," he's just always playing "Tom Cruise."

I generally get a kick out of Will Ferrell's movies, but for actual acting, I thought he was brilliant in "Stranger Than Fiction."

Also, Keanu Reeves in "A Walk in the Clouds."

And, while I don't think he is a bad actor, he doesn't generally appear in movies that require him to act much - so, I'm adding Hugh Jackman in the 'The Prestige."

Last edited by TigerLily24; 08-05-2011 at 10:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 02:26 PM

1,362 posts, read 1,488,867 times
Ellen Page in Inception
Maggie Gylhallal (however it's spelled) in Batman Dark Knight

Old 08-06-2011, 06:55 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,832,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I had a similar feelings about Kevin Costner until I saw him in "Upside of Anger" and "Open Range." I thought he was absolutely terrific in those.

The other one is Tom Cruise. With the exception of "'Magnolia," he's just always playing "Tom Cruise."

I generally get a kick out of Will Ferrell's movies, but for actual acting, I thought he was brilliant in "Stranger Than Fiction."

Also, Keanu Reeves in "A Walk in the Clouds."

And, while I don't think he is a bad actor, he doesn't generally appear in movies that require him to act much - so, I'm adding Hugh Jackman in the 'The Prestige."
Check out "Collateral" and especially "Born on the Fourth of July" to see Cruise at his best. I'm not a big fan of him because most of his films suck, but he has some talent and when he takes a role outside the bad action films he can put on great performances. He deserved an Oscar for Born on the Fourth of July, great performance.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:05 PM

4,204 posts, read 5,470,353 times
Sly Stallone in "Cop Land".

Old 08-08-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Sly Stallone in "Cop Land".

Oh, yes. I thought he was quite good in "Nighthawks" as well

Old 08-08-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poletop1 View Post
Check out "Collateral" and especially "Born on the Fourth of July" to see Cruise at his best. I'm not a big fan of him because most of his films suck, but he has some talent and when he takes a role outside the bad action films he can put on great performances. He deserved an Oscar for Born on the Fourth of July, great performance.
Saw both, liked both, particularly "Collateral." And I agree, he was excellent in "Born on the Fourth of July." Honestly, I thought he was terrific in "Minority Report" but those performances just seem too few and far between and "Magnolia" really stands out even among those.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:20 PM

17,356 posts, read 3,528,493 times
Brad Pitt for Legends of the Fall

Old 08-09-2011, 01:14 AM

3,863 posts, read 7,890,116 times
Charlize Theron in Monster never really liked her acting until this movie

Old 08-09-2011, 02:02 AM

9,972 posts, read 14,017,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
Here's a list of the types of actors that I, personally, consider to be part of the group I described as...

Ricky Gervais (is vile)
David Spade
Dana Carvey
Will Ferrell
Martin Short
Robin Williams
Jim Carrey
Chris Kattan
Jack Black
Chevy Chase
Jimmy Fallon
Jon Lovitz
Norm Macdonald
Tina Fey
Billy Crystal
Whoopie Goldberg
Janeane Garofalo
Molly Shannon
Tracy Morgan
Tom Hanks
Gilbert Gottfried
Eddie Murphy (younger days)
Bill Murray
Mike Myers
Adam Sandler
Steve Carell
Cheech and Chong
Amy Poehler
Seth Rogan
Sacha Baron Cohen
Zach Galifianakis
Dane Cook
Stephen Colbert
Jon Stewart
Rob Schneider
Chris Rock
Ashton Kutcher
Jason Schwartzman
Woody Allen
Steve Martin
Bill Murray
Uh, so apparently you're not a fan of comedies. You probably didn't like Caddyshack either.

It looks as if mostly you just listed every former SNL cast member, some of which haven't made movies in years. Also Woody Allen made more broad comedies in his early days(some of which are very funny) but since the late 70s most of his work has been a different vein of comedy, and it's too bad if you don't enjoy his directing work like Crimes and Misdemenors or Matchpoint or Vicky Cristy Barcelona. Stephen Colbert and Jon Stewart are basically just TV hosts for the most part. You must really hate Bill Murray as you listed him twice, but he hasn't played any over-the-top comedic roles in the last decade, and has made some good films like Lost in Translation and Rushmore among others.

Also you listed Eddie Murphy, but noted him just for his "younger days." Which was the period when Eddie Murphy was actually funny. Do you prefer Eddie Murphy's more recent craptastic films?

And the point of the thread was to list bad actors in good roles, not give us a laundry list of every comedic actor you dislike.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:08 AM

1,900 posts, read 1,679,355 times
I loathe Tom Arnold, but True Lies was so good, I wasn't put off by him, and actually thought he added something to the production.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or