U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 01:19 PM

5,758 posts, read 9,485,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
Jim Carrey in The Truman Show. It's the only thing he's done that I can stomach.

I don't like any of those "comedic" actors that star in moronic, drunken, frat-guy, toilet humor and sex joke films that contribute to the dumbing down of America.
You are very confused on what is reasonable for the dumbing down of America. At least comedy is somewhat creative and it makes people laugh which is good for the body and soul.

TV shows like American Idol, Dancing with the Stars, and Jersey Shore are dumbing down America. Not comedies meant to give everyone a break from their lives and give them a good laugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 04:20 PM

5,500 posts, read 4,413,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

I had wonderful hopes for Owen Wilson when I saw him in "Minus Man", but then he immediately morphed into the most dreaded actor in the history of drama.
The only movies I liked of him were "Shanghai Noon and Shanghai Night" and thought...being teamed up with Jackie Chan...the effect was hilarious. Then I watched some of their separate movies and lost the comical appeal altogether, or...maybe, it was just me?

Old 08-22-2011, 06:29 PM

116 posts, read 293,516 times
Ok I'll play, how about Angelina Jolie starring in Clint Eastwood's directed movie 'The Changeling'. Based on a true story 'The Wineville Chicken Coop Murders' at the turn of the century.
Great acting IMO given her usual movie roles.

Or, how about Brad Pitt in the movie 'Snatch'? I liked the way he pulled off the part of a roaming irish gypsy in the UK. if you've ever come across their kind like have in a former life living back in the UK, you'll understand he had the part down!

Old 08-22-2011, 06:29 PM

3,074 posts, read 3,975,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
Watch "Legends of Fall". He can act.
I did and you are right. He didn't seem to get much notice if I recall correctly.
He was much improved in "The Strange Case of Benjamin Button."

Old 08-22-2011, 07:43 PM

4,896 posts, read 5,864,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Really?
It certainly fits some of them but you should take another look at them.
For one example,can you please tell me when Woody Allen has been a drunken moronic frat guy?
Or Tom Hanks?
Or Billy Crystal?
Or Robin Williams?
Or Steve Martin?
LOL! You pulled out some of the same ones I did.....I really like Martin Short, too, and drunken, moronic, no not really.

For years I couldn't stand Robin Williams. Now, I consider him a genius at comedy. Mrs. Doubtfire was hysterical and I loved Good Morning, Vietnam.
He is foul mouthed, at times, but I find him fascinating. My bad.

Steve Martin is one of my least favorites though The Jerk has grown on me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or