U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-22-2011, 05:52 PM
 
23 posts, read 25,673 times
Reputation: 38

Advertisements

I love Under the Tuscan Sun as well, wow! I didn't think anyone else seen that movie. I love everything about Italy! I also like Julia Roberts movie My Best Friend's Wedding, it was mixed with a variety of emotions...I loved when they were singing in the restaruant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-22-2011, 07:26 PM
 
Location: Austin, Texas
2,756 posts, read 5,259,695 times
Reputation: 4606
I never watch a movie for "a good cry." That must be a chick thing. I usually watch movies to laugh with, or to get reeled-in to a good drama or action/adventure situation. Here's a quick list of mivies I own and have seen several times each and will see several times again:

The Big Lebowski
Lonesome Dove (OK--I admit: I did cry the first time I saw it when Deets and then Gus died)
Pulp Fiction
Cool Hand Luke
The Hangover
Something About Mary
The Shawshank Redemption
Unforgiven
Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid
CaddyShack
No Country for Old Men
True Grit (new one)
40 year-old Virgin
In the Heat of the Night
Rounders
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 09:13 PM
 
2,278 posts, read 2,102,185 times
Reputation: 3262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakotastar View Post
I love Under the Tuscan Sun as well, wow! I didn't think anyone else seen that movie. I love everything about Italy! I also like Julia Roberts movie My Best Friend's Wedding, it was mixed with a variety of emotions...I loved when they were singing in the restaruant.
Then you have to watch Shadows in the Sun with Joshua Jackson, Harvey Keitel, and Claire Forlani! It's right up your quaint old Italian alley! (The link above goes to the film's IMDb page.)

Description: An aspiring young writer (Jackson) tracks a literary titan (Keitel) suffering from writers block to his refuge in rural Italy and learns about life and love from the irascible genius and his daughters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2011, 10:54 PM
 
5,500 posts, read 4,413,364 times
Reputation: 5146
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
I never watch a movie for "a good cry." That must be a chick thing. I usually watch movies to laugh with, or to get reeled-in to a good drama or action/adventure situation. Here's a quick list of mivies I own and have seen several times each and will see several times again:

The Big Lebowski
Lonesome Dove (OK--I admit: I did cry the first time I saw it when Deets and then Gus died)
Pulp Fiction
Cool Hand Luke
The Hangover
Something About Mary
The Shawshank Redemption
Unforgiven
Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid
CaddyShack
No Country for Old Men
True Grit (new one)
40 year-old Virgin
In the Heat of the Night
Rounders
Lonesome Dove is the second western that I don't tire from watching (I can't count how many times I've reiterated this on this forum...) I still cry every time I watch them die for the umpteenth time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2011, 11:00 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
908 posts, read 1,514,577 times
Reputation: 460
Cool Runnings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2011, 05:06 PM
 
Location: Clayton, MO
1,159 posts, read 1,460,004 times
Reputation: 1536
For no particular reason there are certain movies I would consider "go to" movies, in the way that I enjoy them in the way that I can watch them countless times without tiring of them. They are not necessarily emotional, deeply thought provoking or heavy, but something about each of these is entertaining to the point of making me want to view numerous times. They are sort of "comfort" movies:

Lost in Translation
Office Space
Sleeping with the Enemy
No Country for Old Men
The hangover
40 year old Virgin
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
The Wedding Singer
Sleepless in Seattle
What Lies Beneath
NightShift
Jerry MaGuire
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2011, 10:13 PM
 
Location: Chandler, AZ
5,798 posts, read 5,236,136 times
Reputation: 3107
LA Confidential

Heat

The Shawshank Redemption

Michael Clayton

Norma Rae

Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (Scorsese's best movie to date IMHO)

All That Jazz

Chinatown
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2011, 07:15 AM
 
Location: Whiteville Tennessee
8,262 posts, read 15,964,314 times
Reputation: 10024
MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING. Just as she was expected to carry on the family business but really didnt want to, i too went in the opposite direction that everyone thought I would. If i cant find anything on the boobtube that interests me 3 of my standby movies are DONOVANS REEF,THE BIG CHILL and CAPTAIN RON.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2011, 09:05 AM
 
2,278 posts, read 2,102,185 times
Reputation: 3262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING. Just as she was expected to carry on the family business but really didnt want to, i too went in the opposite direction that everyone thought I would. If i cant find anything on the boobtube that interests me 3 of my standby movies are DONOVANS REEF,THE BIG CHILL and CAPTAIN RON.
This was one of my Go-To movies for a long time. I still enjoy it but I think I over-did it on this one. I'll still watch it once a year. I'm a sucker for movies about underdogs starting over and reinventing themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2011, 12:48 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn,NY
10,324 posts, read 12,413,543 times
Reputation: 15395
Default Call it corny..

The movie "Never back down." yes it had some cheesiness, but the characters and their struggles, Along with the lesson to soldier on, try to right the wrongs, and understand everyone has their own fight and the to control the outcome-was refreshing. Sean Faris as an angry young man learning about friendship and channeling anger into positive action was great.

"Crazy heart" Bad Blake's redemption late in life against very tough odds was inspiring. Great music too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top