U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 10:47 PM

2,278 posts, read 2,102,185 times

Advertisements

One of my favorite things about movies is that they can be cleansing. They help us work through the hard times and celebrate the good things. While we can cry at a movie, sometimes, a particular movie will cry with us. I have a friend who describes watching movies according to our current emotions as "mood movies."

So, what's your mood movie? When you feel really happy, what's your Go-To movie to watch? How about when you're sad? When you need a good cry? When you're really angry? We may not have a Go-To movie for every emotion, but what's your most common Go-To movie and why?

When I feel down and like I want a fresh start in life again, I have a go-to movie that really picks me up and encourages me. For me, that movie is Under the Tuscan Sun with Diane Lane. (I also relate to it because she's a writer and so am I.)

It's a rollercoaster of emotions and a great reminder that life can change, for better or for worse, in one moment. No warning, no signs, just WHAM! I watch it to remember that my current situation isn't forever, no matter how much it appears to be. It's a reminder that I've experienced how suddenly things can change and turn around. This is my main Go-To movie and I've seen it dozens of times. (The scenery and the food are therapeutic, too!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 12:23 AM

15,924 posts, read 16,847,914 times
Funny, I've never watched a movie based on my mood-of-the-hour/minute.......

Old 07-29-2011, 01:11 AM

56 posts, read 82,039 times
Garden State always makes me smile and reminds me not to overthink things

Old 07-29-2011, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Funny, I've never watched a movie based on my mood-of-the-hour/minute.......
Really?

LOL I have a couple of friends who are like that, too. Most people I know have a movie or two that they keep on reserve for emotional support! I have a buddy that will watch The Godfather when he gets really angry.

Another friend watches Sleeping with the Enemy as her "I need a fresh start" movie.

A coworker watches the original Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory when she wants to forget the world and her troubles for a couple of hours.

Another friend watches Chariots of Fire when he needs to feel inspired to push through with his dream in spite of the setbacks.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:56 AM

253 posts, read 155,638 times
I enjoy Under the Tuscan Sun as well. Probably because I daydream about moving overseas into a place just like that that I need to restore, that has history, etc.
I also will always watch Moonstruck, The Great Outdoors, The Holiday & for some reason lately it's been Bridget Jones Diary whenever it's on. I tend towards the chick flicks because watching movies for me is entertaining so I want something that will make me feel good, not depressed. That's probably why I still have yet to watch certain movies because I haven't been "in the mood" for them....like One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest, Sid & Nancy & a few others.
Oh yeah, I also love "Rear Window", it makes me feel cozy for some reason. Especially the scene where he falls asleep in front of the window & it's dark & raining...love that sound.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:22 AM

1,034 posts, read 3,729,148 times
I'm sure people have their opinions of my movie choice, but I love Sandra Bullock's Hope Floats when I'm feeling down.

I loved to watch the movie after a relationship break-up in my life to remind me that there is always a fresh start right around the corner. I love the story of a beautiful woman whose heart was broken and the life as she knows it shattered. We don't all have a "home" to return to, but I love the scenery in the movie and the feeling of an old town and old friends, family, and flames welcoming you back with open arms. I thought Mae Whitman as her daughter gave a brilliant performance reminding you that there was more than one life torn apart in this story. So many trajedies all ending happily. I love a happy ending.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:11 AM

I agree with both of you. The Holiday and Hope Floats are two great mood movies about new beginnings and fresh perspectives. (The Holiday is the only movie I ever liked Jack Black in.)

Sandra Bullock has a mysterious affect on me. (And no, it's not hormonal.) So does Julia Roberts. I think they're two very smart women in real life with good heads on their shoulders. The self-confidence they exude on screen is very noticeable to me. I enjoy most of what both of them have done. However, no ones perfect and they've both made baaaad film choices, too! Sorry. Rant over. I apologize to myself for going off-topic.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:12 PM

15,072 posts, read 19,718,275 times
THE SURVIVORS. Walter Matthau is great in this movie, but it's Jerry Reed who steals every scene he's in.

GROUNDHOG DAY. The ultimate feelgood movie, especially on a cold, snowy night.

ANIMAL HOUSE. The movie that reminds us that no matter how bad things get, you always have the option of dressing up like a pirate, attacking the local parade, and becoming a United States Senator.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:28 PM

5,500 posts, read 4,413,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
One of my favorite things about movies is that they can be cleansing. They help us work through the hard times and celebrate the good things. While we can cry at a movie, sometimes, a particular movie will cry with us. I have a friend who describes watching movies according to our current emotions as "mood movies."

So, what's your mood movie? When you feel really happy, what's your Go-To movie to watch? How about when you're sad? When you need a good cry? When you're really angry? We may not have a Go-To movie for every emotion, but what's your most common Go-To movie and why?

When I feel down and like I want a fresh start in life again, I have a go-to movie that really picks me up and encourages me. For me, that movie is Under the Tuscan Sun with Diane Lane. (I also relate to it because she's a writer and so am I.)

It's a rollercoaster of emotions and a great reminder that life can change,
for better or for worse, in one moment. No warning, no signs, just WHAM! I watch it to remember that my current situation isn't forever, no matter how much it appears to be. It's a reminder that I've experienced how suddenly things can change and turn around. This is my main Go-To movie and I've seen it dozens of times. (The scenery and the food are therapeutic, too!)
For me, the one movie that has all the elements needed to fit all occasions, from laughter to despair to hope is..."Fiddler on the Roof."

Not too many movie goers enjoy musicals, but this one touches me spiritually...aside from the fact that the entire casts portrayed their roles brilliantly.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:36 PM

4,585 posts, read 10,476,515 times
Dreamkeeper, it was a Halmark

I really like the segment with John Trudell as Coyote, Gary Farmer as Iktome
and Geraldine Keams as Iktome's wife, I get belly laughs everytime I see it.

The who movie is wonderful but this particular segment and the way it's shot is just so funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or