U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 06:29 PM

668 posts, read 786,281 times

Advertisements

It was almost scene for scene exactly the same, from what I can recall. It was fine, but once you've seen the original, this version loses some of its punch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 07:10 PM

2,533 posts, read 2,382,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I didn't like the movie at all. It had a few BRILLIANT scenes, but a few brilliant scenes do not a good movie make.

The pacing was turgid. Watching this movie was like watching icicles drip.

And there was a tone of pedophilia throughout that set off my Ick Factor.

I'm not generally interested in vampire-themed movies, but this one has a lot of compelling psychological depth that goes beyond the vampire theme.

I certainly didn't pick up any pedophilic vibes. I do think American culture is structured to be very uptight when dealing with anything that even hints of adolescent sexuality. I find Scandinavians tend to be far more open in dealing with human sexuality in general. There is a wonderful Norwegian film called Is-Slottet ("Ice Castle"--directed by Per Bloom) which will likely never be shown in The US because there are a couple of brief non-sexual nude scenes involving early-adolescent girls.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:19 AM

13,036 posts, read 21,513,339 times
I really enjoyed the the film ( I have not seen the American version of it) , in essence it is not really about Vampires to me but about an unlikely and tentative friendship which develops between two outsiders. I feel Eli takes to Oskar because like him she does not fit in and is an outsider looking in.

She is a fierce and ruthless predator but also someone who relates to Oskar at a deeper level . It is a mutually co-dependent relationship . The Vampirism is almost an allegory for a desperate dependency. Oskar is not just a new Hakan, he is a companion , something she has presumably never had.

They relate to each other . They find each other. It is a tale of utter loneliness and of not belonging from both main protagonists, both social pariahs for different reasons.

She does try to warn him that she can't be a friend to him and yet I think that is what she becomes in a sad and twisted sort of way. The only kind of friendship she can offer anyway.

I thought it was beautiful, poignant and incredibly potent as a film. This is not a horror film or a vampire film , more of a psychological insight into social inadequacy and alienation. Anyone thinking this should have been more on the lines of Dracula is kind of missing the point to me.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:55 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,293,433 times
Interesting films, both the original (for some reason I thought it was Danish, not Swedish) and the American version.

It nicely illustrates that a genre that has been filmed seemingly to death still occasionally produces an interesting new take. In this case, that take happens to have been presented very well cinematically.

Aside from being set in New Mexico rather than Sweden, the American version is almost identical. It nicely captures the mood of the original film and replicates the excellent acting and overall fine production of the original. It's nice to see such a version not abandon quality drama for traditional Hollywood excesses -- more gore, too much CGI, more 'excitement' at the expense of all that 'boring' plot and development.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:24 PM

48,880 posts, read 39,370,650 times
Isn't it interesting how Eli manages to save Oscar at exactly the right time?

For a movie set in pretty stark terms are we left to believe the hackneyed "nick of time" theory or that Eli watched and waited for the bullies to abuse Oscar sufficiently and then come to the "rescue" to deepen his trust\dependency on a now guardianless Eli.

I think a whole bunch of people watch the movie and are imprinting their own general goodness on Eli\Oscar and thus view it as a friendship. In reality Eli and Hakan have lived a highly structured and thought out plan for DECADES. Look how they keep moving, how Hakan expertly kills and drains the bodies....someone taught him this...whom do you think?

Also note that Eli met up with Hakan and recruited him at a tender age to replace ??????? quite coincidental that Oscar is basically the same age and mental state as a young Hakan?

When you add this all up, and if you watch it again, see if you pick up on all the little clues when you look back over her relationship and discarding of Hakan and his unease with Eli reaching out to Oscar like she once did to him.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:47 PM

7,843 posts, read 11,137,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Isn't it interesting how Eli manages to save Oscar at exactly the right time?

For a movie set in pretty stark terms are we left to believe the hackneyed "nick of time" theory or that Eli watched and waited for the bullies to abuse Oscar sufficiently and then come to the "rescue" to deepen his trust\dependency on a now guardianless Eli.

I think a whole bunch of people watch the movie and are imprinting their own general goodness on Eli\Oscar and thus view it as a friendship. In reality Eli and Hakan have lived a highly structured and thought out plan for DECADES. Look how they keep moving, how Hakan expertly kills and drains the bodies....someone taught him this...whom do you think?

Also note that Eli met up with Hakan and recruited him at a tender age to replace ??????? quite coincidental that Oscar is basically the same age and mental state as a young Hakan?

When you add this all up, and if you watch it again, see if you pick up on all the little clues when you look back over her relationship and discarding of Hakan and his unease with Eli reaching out to Oscar like she once did to him.
I had many of the same thoughts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or