Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 03:34 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nast View Post
Pedophilia between who? Between Oskar and Eli, or between Eli and her former caretaker?
There was just a general tone throughout the film of sexualizing the kids. Definitely strongest with Eli, but with Oskar too. I don't know enough about the story to know if this was the director making a film faithful to the author's vision, or if the director put this element in himself. Either way, I wouldn't want to sit next to the filmmaker or writer on a plane ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 09:19 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I dunno. I'm skeptical. Granted, I've never met anyone from Sweden, but I have known several Danes and Norwegians, and while Scandinavian sexual morality does differ in some ways than the U.S., I have never once heard of adults having sex with kids as being accepted as A-ok anywhere in Europe. I think maybe you were just drinking with some pervs.
Pedofilia is just as bad in Sweden as it is over in the US. Sure, we are more sexually open minded than here but we sure as hell don't accept pedophilia. That is straight up insulting!

Old 07-31-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
Its a Swedish thing. I know you may not understand but there are other cultures in the world that have different believes. But pedophilia is common in Sweden. I don't know where its more common between the US or Sweden but at least in Sweden it isn't seen as taboo.

Please educate yourself before you sperad some BS like that. It is people like you who makes Americans look both ignorant and stupid.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:30 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,318,110 times
Quote:
From Swedes in real life. I met them in Sweden and in hostels. We would all have talks over beers. And it was brought up several times. So I assumed it was common.
Do you believe everything you hear?
Do you really think all swedish adults are having sex with little children?

Old 08-01-2011, 05:01 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,995,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Please educate yourself before you sperad some BS like that. It is people like you who makes Americans look both ignorant and stupid.
How so? I educated myself and I have been their. Can you say the same?

Old 08-01-2011, 05:02 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,995,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Do you believe everything you hear?
Do you really think all swedish adults are having sex with little children?
No, but I think from what I have seen. Is that grown men won't tell teenage girls to leave bars. So that leaves girls more vulnerable to sexual predators.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
How so? I educated myself and I have been their. Can you say the same?

I have you beat. I am from Sweden and just like this other Swede joining this conversation, we are both very foreign to your accusations.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:29 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,318,110 times
Quote:
No, but I think from what I have seen. Is that grown men won't tell teenage girls to leave bars. So that leaves girls more vulnerable to sexual predators.
Eighteen is the legal age here, so some teens are allowed into bars.
Girls are vulnerable to sexual predators everywhere,it doesn't make a whole country paedophiles.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:40 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Eighteen is the legal age here, so some teens are allowed into bars.
Girls are vulnerable to sexual predators everywhere,it doesn't make a whole country paedophiles.
I concur.

What a very bizarre and offensive thing to suggest. Actually I find Scandinavian people to have a far healthier outlook regarding sexuality. Sexual predators exist everywhere and I would argue that more sexually repressed nations are more likely to foster sexual predators IMO.

I have been to Sweden many times and it feels like one of the safest places on the planet. I have not noticed a lot of weirdos lurking around dark corners ready to pounce on young flesh .... Sexual predators exist everywhere but I cannot understand how anyone could come to the conclusion that somehow Sweden is more tolerant of paedophiles ? The Swedish teens I have met ( and do meet in Oxford) seem far more mature and more confident than their American or British counterparts.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:58 AM

2,209 posts, read 4,222,939 times
I actually liked it. I didn't get any pedophilia undertones at all.

Have you seen the American remake, Mark? Maybe you'll like it better, they made the vampire's sex a girl rather than ambiguous from the Swedish version which turns out is a castrated boy from the book.

Not to jump to any conclusions but are you the type of American who associates pedophilia with homosexuality? If so, maybe that's why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies