U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 05:56 PM

6 posts, read 5,077 times

Advertisements

I am not not sure if the entire run matters that much. I am deducing from this graph, that studios can easily estimate how much money a movie will gross as soon as they know the first week box office, so marketing efforts would focus on the opening week.

During the 80's the best movies could stay on screens during 15 weeks, and it was basically the only way to earn a lot of money (on the other hand movie budgets wasn't the same) now a movie like Terminator Salvation is doing 80% of its gross in just 3 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
I believe that with every succeeding week after the first week, the studio loses a percentage of its share of the gross while the theaters gain a percentage.
yes, I have heard of that. I am wondering who is wearing the pants in this negotiation, the studios or the theaters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 08:28 PM

15,072 posts, read 19,718,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurent101 View Post
I am wondering who is wearing the pants in this negotiation, the studios or the theaters?
The studios.

Theaters have no power, and the don't make much money off ticket sales. It's the reason you have to pay $5 for a $0.89 soda or $7 for a $2 bucket of popcorn or $4 for a $1.25 box of candy.

By the time movie theaters begin to keep the majority share of each ticket sale, very few tickets are being sold.

Economics Of The Movie Theater – Where The Money Goes And Why It Costs Us So Much - The Movie Blog

Old 08-13-2011, 05:35 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
You didn't think art had anything to do with it, did you?

Old 08-16-2011, 04:22 PM

668 posts, read 786,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The studios.

Theaters have no power, and the don't make much money off ticket sales. It's the reason you have to pay $5 for a $0.89 soda or $7 for a $2 bucket of popcorn or $4 for a $1.25 box of candy.

By the time movie theaters begin to keep the majority share of each ticket sale, very few tickets are being sold.

Economics Of The Movie Theater Where The Money Goes And Why It Costs Us So Much - The Movie Blog
Actually for many of the films the profits are going to the Distributor, who have purchased the film from the Studio. I believe many of the largest studios will have their own distribution arm so they can keep most of the cash, though.

And theaters do have quite a bit of power in the terms of number of screens they will devote to a single film. As you mentioned, they get a very small cut (if any) of the ticket sales, they only want people at the concession stands spending money. So therefore they will manipulate the mix of movies on their screens to bring in the most customers. If your movie is a stinker and bombs the first weekend, they can pretty quickly whack it down from taking up four or five of their screens down to one. That's why some movies will disappear in two weeks, while other mediocre movies stick around as filler as they continue to bring in a small but steady stream of customers.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:02 PM

8,218 posts, read 8,498,682 times
That's always been the goal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or