Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 11:00 PM

395 posts, read 1,540,694 times

Advertisements

Is anyone else tired of all the remakes of movies from the eighties? I was a teenager in the eighties when "Fright Night" "Footloose" and "Dirty Dancing" came out, not to mention countless others that have been or will be re-made.

The Freddy and Jason movies were re-done a while ago too. Whenever I hear of yet another movie that I watched while growing up being remade I cringe because I think that it kind of takes something away from the original. my generation had Freddy, Jason and Michael Myers for our movie bad guys, let the kid today have their own! No one will ever say "Nobody puts Baby in a corner" the way Patrick Swayze (RIP) did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 11:42 PM

8,317 posts, read 13,447,487 times
Is it obvious at this point that Hollywood loves milking any "tried and true" script to make $. In most cases, they think by using today's technology they can improve an older classic but we all know it is often a failure yet they still do it. It is obvious they are making enough money so they are not likely to quit either. another theory is the shortage of quality scripts which goes back to my first sentence.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:02 AM

1,245 posts, read 2,211,278 times
The original Fright Night films were just awesome entertainment. They combined elements of horror, comedy and teen movies but brought out the best of all three; and nobody can top Roddy McDowall.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:09 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Fright Night is a classic. One of the great '80s films. But I'd like to see the remake as well. Previews look good.

Footloose is one of those movies I didn't think I would like, then ended up liking quite a bit. I have no interest in seeing the remake.

I've never been able to sit through all of Dirty Dancing. Awful movie.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:45 PM

547 posts, read 939,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
another theory is the shortage of quality scripts which goes back to my first sentence.
I think there are good scripts out there, but some of those scripts are for independent venues and movie studios was big budget films for some odd reason.

Take "The Company Men" for example that came out earlier this year with Chris Cooper, Ben Affleck, Tommy Lee Jones, Kevin Costner, and Craig T. Nelson. Good movie but depressing about these executives who worked for a particular company and helped build it from the ground up in the 60's or so and got booted out because the ceo, Craig T Nelson, wanted to maximize profits when the recession started to hit by cutting jobs because he told everyone that things had to be done in order to make sure the company would continue. And good ol' Kevin Costner's character who was the brother in law of Ben Affleck was a blue collar man seeing things from the perspective of the common man and kept on saying companies send jobs over seas in order to make more money and so on to Ben Affleck.

Another small budget movie that was really well made was a movie that came out in the late 90's called "Lone Star" with Chris Cooper, Powers Boothe, and Mathew Mcconaughey. Small budget but the story and the actors were solid, and the movie was about a small Texas town right smack on the border with a 40-50 year old murder mystery that the town's sheriff played by Chris Cooper has solve.

I think Hollywood is just plain lazy now a days, just like the music and television industry and trying to produce junk in order to make a lot of money.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:50 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poletop1 View Post
The original Fright Night films were just awesome entertainment. They combined elements of horror, comedy and teen movies but brought out the best of all three; and nobody can top Roddy McDowall.
It would be hard to find a sexier vampire than Chris Sarandon, too.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:52 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,638,530 times
The moment I saw the subject, I had to give it a rep. I'm tired of most remakes in general! Enough is enough already. Somethings can be remade and others just simply can't!

Old 08-15-2011, 03:40 PM

253 posts, read 201,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Oh yeah, he was totally hot in that movie!
Yeah, I'm tired of the remakes too. Doesn't anyone have an original thought anymore? I could just die seeing the trailer for Footloose, makes me want to bang my head on the wall.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:12 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,211,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Selma Hayek in From Dusk Til Dawn and Angie Everhart in Bordello of Blood, but guessing from your username there's a reason why you prefer Sarandon.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:39 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,522,258 times
They're remaking every movie from my childhood... Now we've got remakes of Honey I Shrunk the Kids, Police Academy, Teen Wolf, Poltergeist, Red Dawn, and Total Recall(you bastards!) lined up. I heard Top Gun is coming up too. Once you add in all the "reboots" of other popular franchises--some of which like Planet of the Apes and Batman are actully pretty good--and basically there are few big budget films that come from an original script or concept these days.

The problem is that they take the basic concept of the old movie and than turn it into something that modern teen audiences will go check out(because the 80s are still retro cool). And then they figure that people who actually grew up in the 80s will check out the film due to the nostalgia factor. But they mess it up, by missing what made the 80s movies cool in that they were actually fun. Now Teen Wolf isn't just a fun party animal, it's some MTV series meant to capture the Twilight audience where the main character is some dark, brooding teen. But Hollywood is run by corporate suits suits with a MBA, who can only figure out the formula that if Transformers was a hit, than GI Joe must be the logical next step--with He-Man as a backup plan.

So please don't ever try to remake Back to the Future. And while you're at it keep your stinking paws off the Goonies, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Scarface, Say Anything, Back to School, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, and Caddyshack.

I'm warning you Hollywood, just stop it...We'll let have another Karate Kid or A-Team film, but don't try to remake any of the above films with Shia LeBeouf or the Jonas Brothers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies