Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 08:38 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,323,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
Great film. It is now streaming on Netflix. I did see "Shadow" and Dafoe was brilliant. Yes, Ed Wood was the movie. Depp was great as usual.

Numerous actors have portrayed Lincoln. Who do you think looked the most like him from past photos ?
I'm going to have to go with Henry Fonda but the first name that popped into my head was Raymond Massey. I think both were great in the role. I have not seen a lot of movies about Lincoln but I read that Spielberg is directing Liam Neeson in the part this year or next. I bet that one will be very good.

I was thinking about actors who have portrayed FDR. There's an older movie, I think it was a miniseries, titled Eleanor and Franklin, that is simply one of the best I have ever seen. It begins in their childhoods. Jane Alexander is Eleanor and Edward Hermann is Franklin. I bought that movie and I watch it about every 6 months. It's exceptional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 01:37 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,725,532 times
Wyatt Earp: Kevin Costner or Kurt Russell (Tombstone). I like Russell's rendition because I found Tombstone infinitely more enjoyable than "Wyatt Earp."

Old 08-20-2011, 08:57 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,323,326 times
Quote:
Wyatt Earp: Kevin Costner or Kurt Russell (Tombstone). I like Russell's rendition because I found Tombstone infinitely more enjoyable than "Wyatt Earp."
Kurt Russell, absolutely. I thought "Tombstone" was great and that Val Kilmer stole the show. I did not really enjoy "Wyatt Earp." Costner just didn't have the body type to portray Earp.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Kurt Russell, absolutely. I thought "Tombstone" was great and that Val Kilmer stole the show. I did not really enjoy "Wyatt Earp." Costner just didn't have the body type to portray Earp.
Right on. I believe it was Kilmer's lifetime role, although he was great in the role of John Holmes-can't remember the title of the movie though.

Another underated role was Jeff Bridges as the owner of "Seabiscuit" He finally got his long deserved Oscar several years later.

An oldie was James Mason as Irwin Rommel in "The Desert Fox." He was a perfect fit,IMO.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:06 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,522,258 times
Quote:
Right on. I believe it was Kilmer's lifetime role, although he was great in the role of John Holmes-can't remember the title of the movie though.
You're thinking of the film Wonderland. And Kilmer was also pretty good as(and looked alot like) Jim Morrison when he portrayed him in the Doors. But Doc Holliday is the best thing he's ever done. Tombstone was also the best thing Kurt Russell ever did, as he actually ghost-directed the film as well.

Hmm...but I think I see a pattern. Val Kilmer gives great performances when he plays real-life characters--like John Holmes, Doc Holliday, and Jim Morrision--who lived rough drink and drug-addled lives and were ultimately doomed to an early death. His other performances--are sort of a mixed bag however.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
You're thinking of the film Wonderland. And Kilmer was also pretty good as(and looked alot like) Jim Morrison when he portrayed him in the Doors. But Doc Holliday is the best thing he's ever done. Tombstone was also the best thing Kurt Russell ever did, as he actually ghost-directed the film as well.

Hmm...but I think I see a pattern. Val Kilmer gives great performances when he plays real-life characters--like John Holmes, Doc Holliday, and Jim Morrision--who lived rough drink and drug-addled lives and were ultimately doomed to an early death. His other performances--are sort of a mixed bag however.
Thanks Dee. I forgot about his Morrison role, but that was great, too.

My favorite line from "Tombstone" was "You tell 'em I'm coming and Hell's coming with me - Hell's coming with me !"

Old 08-21-2011, 04:10 PM

15,145 posts, read 14,328,741 times
As Hitler: Sir Alec Guinness and Bruno Ganz
Peter O'Toole as T.E. Lawrence in "Lawrence of Arabia
Henry Fonda as Admiral Chester Nimitz. Strong physical resemblance, and totally gets Nimitz's measured, steady leadership.
Ben Kingsley as Mohandas K. Gandhi
As Nero: Sir Peter Ustinovs performance in the movie Quo Vadis is just dead brilliant. The look, the voice, the presence: insanity at its best.
To Hell and Back: Audie Murphy absolutely nailed the role. For an untrained actor, his natural minimalist method acting was surprisingly effective. He even looks a lot like Audie Murphy

Richard the III:

Peter Sellers: A Hard Day's Night - YouTube

Old 08-21-2011, 11:48 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,630,795 times
I caught an older movie on TV a while back. LEON: The Professional.
I think it's from the early 90s. The lead actor is Jean Reno. He's a hitman who saves a young girl (Natalie Portman) while the police are hot on his trail (Gary Oldman).

Quote:
....Ketabcha....Great cast. Reno is not an attractive guy but his acting is spot on. I really cared about the character and the inner character that Reno revealed was gorgeous even though he was a killer. He became quite beautiful in my eyes.
was this the French film ? I saw one that had the same plot and the assasian (?) was french. I have seen it two or three times. I really liked the lead fellow.

eta: is something weird going on when you do quotes ?

eta2: This is the same movie I watched and I liked him so much.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:00 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,569,979 times
Quote:
No one but no one can supplant Bela Lugosi as Dracula. When I think of Bram Stoker's visualization he must have had Bela in mind.
A close econd goes to Gary Oldman in "Bram Stoker's Dracula."

Of course, there is only one Moses = Charlton Heston
I so agree!!!
And for me...TOPOL (from fiddler on the Roof) would be the best to portray Abraham of the bible.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
I so agree!!!
And for me...TOPOL (from fiddler on the Roof) would be the best to portray Abraham of the bible.
Spot on.

BTW has anyone mentioned Gregory Peck as "McArthur" He played him better than McArthur played himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies