U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-23-2011, 07:29 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,260 posts, read 20,859,174 times
Reputation: 9950

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
I liked the Stewart parts in the book much better. In the movie, Stewart's reaction upon publication of the book seemed a little out of the blue to me. It didn't match up with how he'd been portrayed (in his relationship with Skeeter) up to that point.

Listening to the book, however, it was a real aha! moment when I found out that his ex-fiancee Patricia
Spoiler
had cheated on him with a civil rights activist. He had such scorn for her activism and for being involved with a "hippie." Since he was not really a full-time resident of Jackson and not as involved in Jackson society as Hilly's circle was, it wasn't obvious to me at first that his politics so closely aligned with theirs. I mean, it's reasonable, yes, but he seemed to like Skeeter BECAUSE she was different from the others, because she knew her own mind. I guess that made me think that he'd be more sympathetic to HER politics.

I also liked how he behaved in the book when Skeeter told him about the book. He was shocked, but he wasn't hateful about it. Not at all. In the scene in the book, I got the idea that he DID still care about her. He just knew that their futures weren't compatible.
I agree, up to a point. The movie was kind of sketchy about the whole thing. I just don't know how they'd have fit much more about him into the movie and kept it to a manageable length.

Quote:
And I was sorry that the movie
Spoiler
didn't touch on Aibilene's job at the paper.
To me, the movie ended on more of a downer note than the book did.
Oh, yeah! I'm totally with you on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-23-2011, 08:06 PM
 
Location: home...finally, home .
8,176 posts, read 18,006,769 times
Reputation: 17570
It is probably one of the two times in sixty years that I will go to a movie alone (all my friends have already seen it).
__________________
******************


People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2011, 12:21 AM
 
11,672 posts, read 13,870,759 times
Reputation: 19019
I saw it about 2 weeks ago and it was pretty good. The book was much better, as usual.


*Possibly a Spoiler*
I thought the movie failed by omitting the element of fear. The book played so heavily on it, you could actually feel it in the words. In the movie there was no cop stop, no running to the back door in the night, no animosity between Minny and Skeeter because of the fear. And I was expecting much more from the satchel debacle because it was such an integral part of the book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2011, 09:41 AM
Status: "The violence and killing has to stop!!." (set 13 hours ago)
 
Location: Lark Farm
4,087 posts, read 2,384,396 times
Reputation: 37895
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
Anyone see this movie???

I have see it twice and loved it the second time. It is funny, but compelling. I recommend seeing it

Great book.......great movie. I wouldn't be suprised if it gets some awards. What amazed me most was how well casted the movie was. The actors looked like I had pictured them when I was reading the book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2011, 10:22 AM
 
Location: Out West
20,595 posts, read 15,415,894 times
Reputation: 24157
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
I saw it about 2 weeks ago and it was pretty good. The book was much better, as usual.


*Possibly a Spoiler*
I thought the movie failed by omitting the element of fear. The book played so heavily on it, you could actually feel it in the words. In the movie there was no cop stop, no running to the back door in the night, no animosity between Minny and Skeeter because of the fear. And I was expecting much more from the satchel debacle because it was such an integral part of the book.
This comment is what will keep me from seeing the movie in a theater. What you wrote is so important and not to have it in the movie...it's like they are missing the entire point! UGH!

When it comes out on PPV or DVD on Netflix, then maybe I'll watch it. What a let down to hear this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2011, 11:42 AM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,260 posts, read 20,859,174 times
Reputation: 9950
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
I saw it about 2 weeks ago and it was pretty good. The book was much better, as usual.


*Possibly a Spoiler*
I thought the movie failed by omitting the element of fear. The book played so heavily on it, you could actually feel it in the words. In the movie there was no cop stop, no running to the back door in the night, no animosity between Minny and Skeeter because of the fear. And I was expecting much more from the satchel debacle because it was such an integral part of the book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
This comment is what will keep me from seeing the movie in a theater. What you wrote is so important and not to have it in the movie...it's like they are missing the entire point! UGH!

When it comes out on PPV or DVD on Netflix, then maybe I'll watch it. What a let down to hear this.
I agree that the element of fear was not portrayed as comprehensively as it might have been, but the first time Skeeter interviewed Aibileen, Aibileen's fear was right off the charts. I felt it so intensely I almost got sick watching it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2011, 08:10 AM
 
Location: East Coast
2,877 posts, read 4,388,330 times
Reputation: 4180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larksong View Post
Great book.......great movie. I wouldn't be suprised if it gets some awards. What amazed me most was how well casted the movie was. The actors looked like I had pictured them when I was reading the book.
Agree with you. Loved the book...enjoyed the movie. Two thumbs up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2011, 05:57 PM
 
Location: Maryland
2,653 posts, read 4,099,237 times
Reputation: 2320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I agree that the element of fear was not portrayed as comprehensively as it might have been, but the first time Skeeter interviewed Aibileen, Aibileen's fear was right off the charts. I felt it so intensely I almost got sick watching it.
I agree Katzpur. I don't know how much fear that person was looking for. It was there and hard to swallow at times.

I loved the movie. Really enjoyed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2011, 08:23 PM
 
11,672 posts, read 13,870,759 times
Reputation: 19019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Childfree35 View Post
I agree Katzpur. I don't know how much fear that person was looking for. It was there and hard to swallow at times.
Did you get a chance to read the book?

The movie was good, I liked it, but I just think there were some crucial scenes cut or changed. True, they cannot include everything, but the element of fear was absolutely diluted. The whole premise of the story is that these women were doing something that could have gotten them killed, but the movie didn't give that the weight it deserved.

If I hadn't read the book I wouldn't be of that opinion, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2011, 09:53 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,260 posts, read 20,859,174 times
Reputation: 9950
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
The movie was good, I liked it, but I just think there were some crucial scenes cut or changed. True, they cannot include everything, but the element of fear was absolutely diluted. The whole premise of the story is that these women were doing something that could have gotten them killed, but the movie didn't give that the weight it deserved.

If I hadn't read the book I wouldn't be of that opinion, however.
I know what you're saying, with respect to the other women, but Aibileen had me convinced that she was scared to death during that first interview. You could see it in her facial expressions, in her body language, and in her voice. Wasn't that the time when, in the book, she went in the other room and threw up? I was so scared for her, I thought I was going to throw up! I agree that the movie really didn't show the fear the other women were experiencing as well as the book did, but to me, Aibileen's fear pretty much said it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top