U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 01:47 PM

13,865 posts, read 13,539,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I just looked up the bio of the actress (can't even remember her name now ). It's Ron Howard's daughter. That was a surprise!
She (Bryce Dallas Howard), who played Hilly Holbrook, usually has such sweet and compliant roles; this must have been a real change for her. I thought Viola Davis was phenomenal. This is an interesting interview on her initial reluctance to take on this role. Even though they left out a lot of the book when they made this film, I thought it was quite good. (The only other movie I can think of that was as successful an adaptation of a book was The Joy Luck Club.) http://www.movieline.com/2011/08/vio...raced---th.php
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 08:13 PM

20,304 posts, read 37,784,136 times
Two thumbs up from my wife and I.

A really GOOD movie. The true one usually are.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:16 PM

5,798 posts, read 5,236,136 times
Number one at the boxoffice for three consecutive weekends; that's not too shabby either.

Ms. Davis is a mortal lock Oscar nominee for Best Supporting Actress.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:14 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,003,689 times
One of my favorite movies of all time. I loved it & its message. I remember those days very well as my aunt and uncle took me to Virginia where there were "colored" entrances and separate lines for black people at the Woolworth's counter so that they could get their food to go and would not have to sit at the counter.

I wish I could say that my seven year old self rose up in protest, but I guess I just accepted it as the way things were. I am both saddened and embarrassed for myself.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 08-29-2011, 08:21 PM

403 posts, read 500,287 times
I enjoyed the movie but I will be honest: I have been dismayed by the reactions to it. Some people really missed the point the movie was makin. Instead they just look at it as a way of reminiscing about the "good old days" without realizing that those days were only good for a very narrow segment of the population.

Old 09-04-2011, 01:11 PM

20,304 posts, read 37,784,136 times
It's the top movie this week, for the third straight week.

Nancy, I recall sitting on a barstool in the early 1960's watching my mom sell "carry out only" booze to the black guys who stopped in.

I also recall the old motels on US-1 between DC and Baltimore where those that accepted black travelers had the word "colored" on the sign beneath the name of the motel. There was one in Elkridge, MD, "Hall's Motel, Colored."

My best bud in high school had "help" in the house, he and I would ride along in the Cadillac when his mom drove the maid home.

The newspapers had at least four help wanted columns:
- Woman wanted (for white females)
- Man wanted (for white men)
- Girl wanted (for black women)
- Boy wanted (for black men)

I was in the first or second grade at Arbutus elementary school the day they integrated schools, following the SCOTUS decision in "Brown vs Board of Education" (May 1954). We all waited outside the school before it opened, and they walked a line of about 12 black kids from the small library building into the main school, then we followed, and that was the end of it, no big deal was made of it, just more kids in the classes, more friends to make.

I do NOT miss the good old days of the 1950's, be it the racism, the polio, no A/C in the house or car, no TV in our house, etc.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:56 PM

5,798 posts, read 5,236,136 times
I goofed on my previous post; it has now as of this weekend become the first film since 'Inception' to top the box-office charts for three successive weeks.

It fell a miniscule 2% in boxoffice receipts compared to last week according to Box Office Guru, which is extremely rare for any movie, let alone a multiple-week charttopper.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:40 PM

21,260 posts, read 20,859,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I wish I could say that my seven year old self rose up in protest, but I guess I just accepted it as the way things were. I am both saddened and embarrassed for myself.
You were seven years old, for crying out loud. You shouldn't be so hard on yourself.

I was just thinking about a line in the book that wasn't in the movie. It reminded me so much of my own childhood (I'm 62). In the book, Skeeter's mom (I think) once said to her when she (Skeeter) was a child, "Be nice to the little colored children." Skeeter said that she'd just looked at her mother like she was crazy and had answered, "Why wouldn't I be?" Well, I remember once, when I was very young, we'd gone over to my grandma's house on a Sunday afternoon. I was bored and wanted to go out in her front yard to play. There were Anglo kids, Hispanic kids and Black kids on her street at the time. She said to me, verbatim: "Be nice to the little coloreds." I just said, "Okay," but my exact thought was, "Why wouldn't I be?" When I read that in the book, my mouth dropped open. Talk about deja vu! It's really weird how kids react to adult prejudices and behaviors. Bigotry is something that has to be taught. My grandma really did want me to be nice "to the little coloreds." She just didn't realize that it was something she needed to mention to me.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:54 AM

1,812 posts, read 2,732,050 times
many african americans i know are offended by this and are dissing it.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:29 AM

21,260 posts, read 20,859,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30STM View Post
many african americans i know are offended by this and are dissing it.
Could you explain why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or