U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 08:34 PM

20,304 posts, read 37,790,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
YES, it's one of my brother's favorite movies (though we're not AA)...but I forget the name...
Stan, thanks. We have some of the Airmen living here in COLO SPGS. When I attend the USAF Academy football games against Army, they have about six of them on the field for recognition. Then a B-1 bomber does a flyover and if you don't see it coming it's enough to scare the crap out of you.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 08:52 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,342,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnalsI gnoL View Post
Oprah would never endorse something like that. But let something like "Precious" cross her desk, and she'll be all over it.

Well said. I will add especially if the positive role model belongs to a black male be it a real person or fictional character. I also remember Tyler Perry was also one of the producers of that film as well (no suprise there).

Old 09-15-2011, 08:34 PM

31,385 posts, read 31,046,755 times
One of the the first movies that I wanted to walk out on. In some ways I now know what it is like for a Holocaust survivor to sit in a theater and watch Shindler's list (no I am no equating the Jim Crow South with the Holocaust). Growing up in New Orleans and having one side of my family working for some of the richest and most powerful white folks, not as domestics per se but in services contracted to them and having personally worked in Jackson, MS there were far too many flashbacks for me to handle, although I did. For me, it was the by far the best movie made about race and race relations in the deep south since maybe Sounder. It made Driving Miss Daisy seem like a 1940's Robert Capra feel good flick.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:23 AM

1,077 posts, read 3,797,486 times
Enjoyed the movie also and thought Viola Davis was great. Also enjoyed Jessica Chastain's performance as Celia Foote, first time I've seen her in anything.

Wasn't that great the beaufifully cooked meal she made for Minnie, and dressed to the nines and all? Loved that part.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:43 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,265,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone-ground View Post
Enjoyed the movie also and thought Viola Davis was great. Also enjoyed Jessica Chastain's performance as Celia Foote, first time I've seen her in anything.

Wasn't that great the beaufifully cooked meal she made for Minnie, and dressed to the nines and all? Loved that part.
That was a very beautiful part in the movie. Celia was even more endearing in the book.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:12 AM

20,187 posts, read 12,820,904 times
For me they played up the gag----yes, really, gag----on Hilly too much. I also could not believe Hilly did not have Minnie thrown in jail. Hilly was a B and just like her to go crying to the police. In those days I would believe you could have done just about anything to the help without too much trouble from the police. Minnie would be in trouble.

It would have been more believable if Minnie did it in secret and told Skeeter years later. Then Hilly would have found out about it from reading the book. By then she couldn't do anything. That was one point that I had a hard time believing had happened.

BUT even now people who have hired help treat them like they are invisible. Guess they are use to being waited on and the person is just there and eventually you get use to it and say whatever pops into your head, thinking they can't hear. I think it happens to white help as well.

I know of a rich white woman 2 years ago who told her nanny (white) "what goes on in this house stays in this house." Yea right. LOL She couldn't wait until they told that to all their friends.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:52 AM

10,664 posts, read 7,703,785 times
I haven't seen the movie, because I loved the book too much to even want to see what was made out of it...

Old 10-14-2011, 01:28 AM

22,225 posts, read 5,499,499 times
At last! A thought provoking, intelligent, enjoyable film - it's been a while, but worth
waiting for. Well done everybody involved.

Old 10-15-2011, 04:29 PM

19 posts, read 31,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
At last! A thought provoking, intelligent, enjoyable film - it's been a while, but worth
waiting for. Well done everybody involved.
I'm wondering, what did you find to be thought-provoking and intelligent about the movie?

Old 10-17-2011, 07:48 PM

20,187 posts, read 12,820,904 times
It is still the Disney version about that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or