U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 09:25 AM

25,084 posts, read 13,912,186 times

Advertisements

Anyone see this movie???

I have see it twice and loved it the second time. It is funny, but compelling. I recommend seeing it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 05:46 PM

21,431 posts, read 18,144,759 times
I can't wait to see that movie!

Old 08-21-2011, 05:52 PM

21,260 posts, read 20,859,174 times
I'm going tomorrow!

Old 08-21-2011, 06:28 PM

292 posts, read 459,195 times
Loved it. Great movie.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:29 PM

3,429 posts, read 5,755,743 times
great movie saw it last night, even my husband enjoyed it

Old 08-21-2011, 06:48 PM

2,700 posts, read 5,151,595 times
I really enjoyed it. I'm currently listening to the book -- almost finished. The book is better than the movie, but the movie is a great adaptation.

I went to see it with my parents, both of whom are Southern and in their late 60s, so they are now precisely the age that Hilly and Skeeter and Elizabeth would have been today. Both my parents said the movie was an accurate portrayal for what it was like in the South back then for families of means who could afford help. Mom said that her mother had boiled their maid's dishes and kept them in a separate cupboard. My dad remembered his maids -- nurses! -- fondly, but said that the help was invisible. The family would discuss all sorts of things around them as if they weren't even there. And I remember growing up and hearing from my grandmother how her grandfather had been "good" to his slaves (in Mississippi), providing them (for example) with housing and medical care. She couldn't detect the irony that because they were slaves, that statement was inherently contrary.

We saw the movie on Monday of last week, and I spent the rest of the week helping my parents sort through stuff in their storage shed. We unearthed tons of pictures and as we were going through them, my mom commented with surprise that there were no pictures of Mary, the maid she'd employed during the first few years of my life. She said, "I can't believe there are no pictures of Mary. I would never have made it back then without Mary's help."

I know there's been a lot of controversy on the internet about the film and book. When I went to see the movie, most of the audience was white and older, but there was a trio of middle-aged and older black women sitting behind me, and they seemed to enjoy it.

The book does a great job of portraying most of the characters as multi-dimensional. I suppose that Hilly seems the most one-note. (I hated her! Nasty, evil woman. So incredibly vengeful.)

Old 08-23-2011, 04:41 PM

My husband and I saw the movie last night. Here are my thoughts:

Viola Davis (Aibileen) was incredible! I could just feel her overpowering fear the night she first started talking to Skeeter. She definitely gave an Academy Award winning performance. (Would it be for Best Actress, though, or Best Supporting Actress?)

I loved how Skeeter's mom changed her attitude at the end of the movie. To me, that was the one thing about the movie I liked better than in the book.

I felt like they included just the right amount of footage on Skeeter's relationship with Stewart. I'm glad they didn't take it out entirely, but I don't think they needed to go into the amount of detail as the author did in the book.

I was disappointed that they left out Aibileen's little secret stories with May Mobley. I loved those in the book, and to me they were extremely important. I felt something was lacking by leaving them out.

I wish they'd had Minnie not know about Celia's pregnancy from the start. I liked how in the book she'd made an incorrect assumption about Celia based on how she spent so much time in bed. I wish they'd kept closer to the book on that point.

Overall, an excellent movie -- but not as good as the book.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
The book does a great job of portraying most of the characters as multi-dimensional. I suppose that Hilly seems the most one-note. (I hated her! Nasty, evil woman. So incredibly vengeful.)
I just looked up the bio of the actress (can't even remember her name now ). It's Ron Howard's daughter. That was a surprise!

Old 08-23-2011, 06:09 PM

2,700 posts, read 5,151,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I felt like they included just the right amount of footage on Skeeter's relationship with Stewart. I'm glad they didn't take it out entirely, but I don't think they needed to go into the amount of detail as the author did in the book.
I liked the Stewart parts in the book much better. In the movie, Stewart's reaction upon publication of the book seemed a little out of the blue to me. It didn't match up with how he'd been portrayed (in his relationship with Skeeter) up to that point.

Listening to the book, however, it was a real aha! moment when I found out that his ex-fiancee Patricia
Spoiler
had cheated on him with a civil rights activist. He had such scorn for her activism and for being involved with a "hippie." Since he was not really a full-time resident of Jackson and not as involved in Jackson society as Hilly's circle was, it wasn't obvious to me at first that his politics so closely aligned with theirs. I mean, it's reasonable, yes, but he seemed to like Skeeter BECAUSE she was different from the others, because she knew her own mind. I guess that made me think that he'd be more sympathetic to HER politics.

I also liked how he behaved in the book when Skeeter told him about the book. He was shocked, but he wasn't hateful about it. Not at all. In the scene in the book, I got the idea that he DID still care about her. He just knew that their futures weren't compatible.

And I was sorry that the movie
Spoiler
didn't touch on Aibilene's job at the paper.
To me, the movie ended on more of a downer note than the book did.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:24 PM

7,513 posts, read 6,006,242 times
very good movie, I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or