U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 01:04 PM

11,449 posts, read 13,913,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDJDJD78 View Post
Movie reviews are more than just a source to find out what's good -- they can also be entertaining reads, and analysis of movies that bring to the surface interesting things about films I've seen. I'll frequently read reviews from people I respect after I've seen a movie to get their take and see if it squares with mine.

As for the A-hole who says Americans like dumb movies, how do you explain the American fascination with the moral ambiguity in The Godfather (most Americans call that our best-ever film) or Citizen Kane?
To that I can add East Of Eden, Sunset Boulevard, A Streetcar Named Desire, West By Northwest, and several more. Citizen Kane, like the others, was made decades ago, during a different Hollywood era.
Of course, everything is relative. A good or bad movie is a matter of opinion, nothing more.
(I could write an essay on Hollywood movies, but...) I'm just one of those who is tired of seeing the same (creativity in a box) type of movies with the fist fights, shoot-outs, car cashes, macho guys talking tough to each other, explosions, cars rolling over and over, busty babes (but wholesome like Sunday school teachers) that are proficient in martial arts, all movies involve a large sum of money which the good guy(s) somehow has to get, everybody has several guns, they're found everywhere: in the kitchen drawer, night table, glove compartment, closet, behind the bird cage, etc, etc. But no fear, the good guy always wins and gets the squeaky clean babe for his own. The bad guy(s) lose and get what they deserve. Viola, Hoolywood!
I've seen several bad French and German movies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 01:17 PM

14,693 posts, read 22,464,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
To that I can add East Of Eden, Sunset Boulevard, A Streetcar Named Desire, West By Northwest, and several more. Citizen Kane, like the others, was made decades ago, during a different Hollywood era.
Of course, everything is relative. A good or bad movie is a matter of opinion, nothing more.
(I could write an essay on Hollywood movies, but...) I'm just one of those who is tired of seeing the same (creativity in a box) type of movies with the fist fights, shoot-outs, car cashes, macho guys talking tough to each other, explosions, cars rolling over and over, busty babes (but wholesome like Sunday school teachers) that are proficient in martial arts, all movies involve a large sum of money which the good guy(s) somehow has to get, everybody has several guns, they're found everywhere: in the kitchen drawer, night table, glove compartment, closet, behind the bird cage, etc, etc. But no fear, the good guy always wins and gets the squeaky clean babe for his own. The bad guy(s) lose and get what they deserve. Viola, Hoolywood!
I've seen several bad French and German movies.
My question is this, if you have seen bad French and German movies why do you insist on picking on Hollywood? The more I travel around the world, the more I am amazed at people like yourself who seem to look down on the US.

If you are "tired" of seeing vacuous movies then why watch them? And if you're not watching them, you are in no place to judge them. Movies are just like any other medium., it has fluff pieces as well as ones with gravitas. To lump them all together is just plain silly.

Getting back to the OP, the worst thing about movie critiques is how the marketing department for a studio will take words out of context and make them seem like a postive review. http://www.slate.com/id/2236706/

Old 08-25-2011, 01:25 PM

21,464 posts, read 22,698,975 times
Sites like Rotten Tomatoes are great, I think. What one critic thinks may be an outlier, but if 75% of critics think a movie stinks, chances are it does. Of course, there are movies that you know are bad and like anyway, so nothing's written in stone.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:33 PM

19,865 posts, read 18,308,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Getting back to the OP, the worst thing about movie critiques is how the marketing department for a studio will take words out of context and make them seem like a postive review. How do movie blurbs work? - By Christopher Beam - Slate Magazine
Wow, I am surprised those critics don't sue the movie studios for what amounts to copyright violations or something of that sort.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDJDJD78 View Post
It's "North by Northwest."

Don't forget Goodfellas, The Departed, No Country for Old Men, Being There, Memento, Pulp Fiction, Fargo, Dog Day Afternoon, Raging Bull, Do the Right Thing, There Will Be Blood, etc. etc. etc. These are mainstream, high-grossing, award-winning American films that included almost nothing resembling what you're talking about, but do include a lot of moral conflict and themes that are not simple, or necessarily geared for a simple audience.

There are HUNDREDS of American movies of an independent nature with morally ambiguous protagonists, and a truly complicated message or reflection of reality, class, race, etc.

You're generalizing based on summer popcorn movies that cater to teenage boys. You don't even know what the hell you're talking about.
Thanks for the correction! North...
(Bolded) You're probably right! I'm not a movie critic. What interests me in a movie is much different that the average American. When I go to a movie I'm not interested in violence.
The last American movie I saw was Oliver Stones' The Doors. Since then I rent DVDs of French, Italian, and German movies. Sure, some weren't worth the $3 rental fee or the 90 minutes of my life, but others were very interesting.

A movie that is 'high grossing' is not necessarily good, it just appeals to a wide public willing to pay to see it.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the correction! North...
(Bolded) You're probably right! I'm not a movie critic. What interests me in a movie is much different that the average American. When I go to a movie I'm not interested in violence.
The last American movie I saw was Oliver Stones' The Doors. Since then I rent DVDs of French, Italian, and German movies. Sure, some weren't worth the $3 rental fee or the 90 minutes of my life, but others were very interesting.

A movie that is 'high grossing' is not necessarily good, it just appeals to a wide public willing to pay to see it.
Actually, you might be similar to movie critics in that you also prefer European or other foreign movies I guess among many American intellectuals there is also a certain contempt for US culture.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:24 PM

Maybe he is thinking of movies such as Captain America

Old 08-25-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Maybe he is thinking of movies such as Captain America
I liked some of the earlier movies* from John Waters, before he had more cash and his movies became dull. The earlier ones were awful in film and sound quality, also mediocre acting, but the shock value was great. I always tried to picture a decent, average American watching one and turning red with rage.
*Like Pink Flamingos and Female Trouble.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:31 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
I give quite a bit of weight to IMDB User Comments. I filter the comments for people who hated it, and read it to see WHY they hated it. That tells me a lot about whether I would be likely to hate it too. And their writing style tells me a lot about whether the comment is from an intelligent, literate, thinking reviewer.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:30 AM

14,693 posts, read 22,464,412 times
Quote:
I agree with you on that one. Anytime someone says that a movie must be good because it is # 1 at the box office I like to point out that Police Academy IV: Citizen on Patrol was also a # 1 movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or