U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 06:42 AM

19,865 posts, read 18,308,470 times

Advertisements

Depends on what 'good' means in this context. The only purpose of a movie like Police Academy is to make people laugh, it is not supposed to make you think about life and death And it was pretty good at making people laugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 07:26 AM

14,693 posts, read 22,464,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Depends on what 'good' means in this context. The only purpose of a movie like Police Academy is to make people laugh, it is not supposed to make you think about life and death And it was pretty good at making people laugh.
Don't get me wrong, I liked the movie. However, I know that that most people do not. So that is why I use it as an example.

I like movies and films and have a wide variety of tastes. I could watch Citizen Kane one day and watch The Gingerdead Man 2: The Passion of the Crust the next. There is room in my world for thought provoking film and for movies where stuff just blows up.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:27 AM

7,376 posts, read 12,524,711 times
whatever they say its the opposite.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:36 AM

14,693 posts, read 22,464,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
whatever they say its the opposite.
You are contradicting yourself. You liked Elf as did most critics. So how could whatever a critic say be the opposite?

Old 08-27-2011, 02:27 PM

13,374 posts, read 40,153,042 times
I do not always 100% agree with critics, but there are a couple I appreciate, Roger Ebert and this guy, Robert Denerstein.

I read Denerstein most often. Along with his helpful film reviews, he also turns me on to movies I might not even know about.

Film reviews help me understand the director's motivations, or they might just clue me in to stay home and skip that movie. Like Bs13690, sometimes I want thoughtful, provoking material, and sometimes I just want bread and circuses.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:14 PM

5,500 posts, read 4,413,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I was watching Bruce Almighty again last night and it is still so funny in my view, and it has a message between all those funny lines.

So I was looking that movie up on Wiki, and again it says that it only got mixed reviews.

That has happened to me so many times before. And it makes me wonder what the criteria are for those critics? They often seem out of sync with the millions of people watching the movies, which also shows in the numbers. Oftentimes movies that get bad reviews score big, and vice versa.

Do you care about reviews when deciding whether or not to see a movie?
They're helpful as guidelines but...ultimately, I use my own judgment. Most of time, I consider who the actors are and their caliber in order to go against the main flow.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:41 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,163,085 times
Movie reviews do serve a purpose for me to be alerted to movies I might never watch or even know about. The blockbusters I will make up my own mind about but let's take a lesser known movie like "Bridesmaids". I would normally just dismiss it as a chick flick, but if the reviews reveal it to be more than that, I might give it a shot.
They also might help me discover a foreign movie I may not have thought about, like "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" which, thanks to some reviews I read made me interested to see it and I liked it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or