U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 11:36 AM

19,865 posts, read 18,308,470 times

Advertisements

I was watching Bruce Almighty again last night and it is still so funny in my view, and it has a message between all those funny lines.

So I was looking that movie up on Wiki, and again it says that it only got mixed reviews.

That has happened to me so many times before. And it makes me wonder what the criteria are for those critics? They often seem out of sync with the millions of people watching the movies, which also shows in the numbers. Oftentimes movies that get bad reviews score big, and vice versa.

Do you care about reviews when deciding whether or not to see a movie?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 11:39 AM

11,449 posts, read 13,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I was watching Bruce Almighty again last night and it is still so funny in my view, and it has a message between all those funny lines.

So I was looking that movie up on Wiki, and again it says that it only got mixed reviews.

That has happened to me so many times before. And it makes me wonder what the criteria are for those critics? They often seem out of sync with the millions of people watching the movies, which also shows in the numbers. Oftentimes movies that get bad reviews score big, and vice versa.

Do you care about reviews when deciding whether or not to see a movie?
The key is to know the American mentality. When I hear Americans praising a movie, I will not go to see it. Americans like dumb movies, usually every movie is good guys vs bad guys. Wholesome morals and superficial characters, just like the audience.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:44 AM

14,693 posts, read 22,464,412 times
The only person I am even remotely interested in listening to is Roger Ebert. I believe is a very fair minded critic. His thing is to judge a movie on what it is trying to be, not what he thinks it should be. Case in point, he gave a good review to Bruce Almighty.

Bruce Almighty :: rogerebert.com :: Reviews

Old 08-25-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
The key is to know the American mentality. When I hear Americans praising a movie, I will not go to see it. Americans like dumb movies, usually every movie is good guys vs bad guys. Wholesome morals and superficial characters, just like the audience.
I noticed you have become quite critical of all things American recently

Not even I am that critical of the US. Sure, many movies and series are of the kind you described, but there are also a lot of good or at least nice / entertaining movies. Nor are movies from other countries necessarily better. I have seen horrible movies from France and Germany as well.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:47 AM

14,693 posts, read 22,464,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Ya, cause other countries don't crank out crappy movies. Thanks for foisting Uwe Boll on the world via German tax laws.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
The only person I am even remotely interested in listening to is Roger Ebert. I believe is a very fair minded critic. His thing is to judge a movie on what it is trying to be, not what he thinks it should be. Case in point, he gave a good review to Bruce Almighty.

Bruce Almighty :: rogerebert.com :: Reviews
Seems to be a fair review indeed

Old 08-25-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDJDJD78 View Post
Movie reviews are more than just a source to find out what's good -- they can also be entertaining reads, and analysis of movies that bring to the surface interesting things about films I've seen. I'll frequently read reviews from people I respect after I've seen a movie to get their take and see if it squares with mine.

As for the A-hole who says Americans like dumb movies, how do you explain the American fascination with the moral ambiguity in The Godfather (most Americans call that our best-ever film) or Citizen Kane?
Usually I do the same. I accidentally watch a movie (there is no cinema here, so I watch movies late at night on TV, without knowing what's on) and later on read up on it. Some reviews make you wonder if you were watching the same movie

Please keep it light, I am sure Visvaldis has his/her reasons to be so critical, even if we don't share his/her view.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:03 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,667,933 times
Movie reviews are similar in fashion to resteraunt reviews or critiques about cities.

The review will give you an overview about the plot of the movie and its characters, and than you will have to skate around the pro or negative judgments of the reviewer.

The best way to do this is not limit yourself to one review----seek multiple opinions and multiple forums. Do not limit yourself to one point of view----seed out reviews from people from various agendas and opinions.

Do your research, and if the overwhelming consensus is that the movie may not be for you---dont see it. If the reviews are all over the place, and you dont know for sure-----go see the movie and decide for yourself.

Never be totally swayed by reviews or opinions of others----if you are you will miss out some fine adventures in life. Opinions and reviews are academic exercises in judgment------the best source of intuition and freedom is your confidence in your own judgment.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:06 PM

Sometimes it seems to me that a movie needs to be tragic or monumental in order to get good reviews from certain critics

Old 08-25-2011, 12:30 PM

15,072 posts, read 19,718,275 times
I love Ebert, and I like Peter Travers too --- although I don't always agree with them. I always thought Richard Roeper was a bit of a tool.

Critics are valuable, but they have the same foibles as the rest of us: Their judgments are clouded by their own opinions, prejudices, tastes, etc. So it's important to keep that in mind when reading any criticism, be it movies, TV, books, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or