U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 04:34 PM

4,033 posts, read 8,245,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
People just need to lighten the hell up. It's funny when blanket statements are thrown out like "all movies/music/TV today is garbage". There were probably pretentious a-holes sitting around a dinner table in the '30s lamenting the dearth of fine cinema. "Have you seen this movie, The Terror of Tiny Town? I declare this to be the end of good movies."

Oh well, to each their own. I will continue to enjoy Citizen Kane, The Godfather, & Raging Bull as well as Armageddon, Slumber Party Massacre & Scanners with equal aplomb.
Well, no one needs to do anything: dissension is a healthy part of any society, whether all of the movies are "arty" or "mainstream." And did it ever occur to you that maybe, instead of insisting that others need to lighten up, you might need to be a little more profound?

While a lot of us think that cinema should be concerned with artistry, I think that most of the complaints about remakes have to do with the fact that the money-making aspect is so blatant and that it is the only goal of the film: a proven film is remade to appeal to a younger audience, specifically to make money from that new audience.

There is also the aspect that a newer generation that is making remake upon remake is so self-absorbed and self-aggrandizing that it simply can't watch, understand and enjoy an original film.

Moreover, not only do remakes tamper with great films, they are usually terrible, probably b/c their only goal is to make money from a new generation.

Furthermore, when a generation is going through as many remakes as the current one, it begs the question as to just how superficial and lacking in originality this new generation is: why can't it develop its own culture? Why does it have to borrow from the past? And why does its primary goal seem to be to make as much $$ as possible?

There have always been and will always be mainstream films: I don't have a problem with those as much as I do the remakes, which seem to speak to a greater cultural problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 08:34 AM

14,693 posts, read 22,464,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Well, no one needs to do anything: dissension is a healthy part of any society, whether all of the movies are "arty" or "mainstream." And did it ever occur to you that maybe, instead of insisting that others need to lighten up, you might need to be a little more profound?
No, it must be others who are wrong. I dissent from your opinion that I need to be more profound and maintain that most people take movies too seriously.

Also, movies have always mostly been about making money. People act like this is a new trend. Does anyone really think Cecil B DeMille cared about "art" from atop of that mountain of money he made. Always been a business, always will be a business.

I repeat that there is room in this world for high minded and low minded movies but there is no need to act like Michael Bay is the Devil.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:09 PM

21,026 posts, read 15,233,614 times
Quote:
People just need to lighten the hell up. It's funny when blanket statements are thrown out like "all movies/music/TV today is garbage". There were probably pretentious a-holes sitting around a dinner table in the '30s lamenting the dearth of fine cinema. "Have you seen this movie, The Terror of Tiny Town? I declare this to be the end of good movies."

Oh well, to each their own. I will continue to enjoy Citizen Kane, The Godfather, & Raging Bull as well as Armageddon, Slumber Party Massacre & Scanners with equal aplomb.
Agreed.
Art is a dynamic medium. Think of all of the incredible paintings and scultures we would be without if artists had decided that since there was already one excellent "Madonna and Child" we didn't need another one.
Why do people keep 'doing' Shakespeare? I've seen Olivier's "Hamlet," Brannagh's "Hamlet," Mel Gibson's and David Tennant's. All were wonderful and all brought me closer to the work.
The original "A Christmas Carol"? Wonderful. Patrick Stewart's interpretation of it as a one-man-show? To die for.
Should I have been robbed of all of these experiences for the sake of 'purity?'

I think, also, that people forget that there have been a lot of schlock movies made, like, forever. Of course we don't know about most of them because only the 'classics' and the real cult favorites survive.
I loved the Peter Cushing-Christopher Lee "Dracula" movies, but, 'art?' Not really.
I also loved Frank Langella as "Dracula" and hated Gary Oldham. However, a lot of people think his was an excellent interpretation.

I think that if a story is good, there is no reason not to reimagine it in a way that is relevant to the current generation. I tried to get my grandkids to watch the original "Fright Night" - they wouldn't - they said it was "too old." We all went to see the new version and we all enjoyed it immensely.
Did it need to be remade? Probably not, but, it was worth the price of admission to see David Tennant in leather pants.

As for today's music/movies/television, etc., just like at any other time, there is some great new stuff and some not so great. I'm sure someone does, but how many people really think that "Herman's Hermits" was a great band? How about "Paul Revere and the Raiders"?
It has been forever thus.

Lighten up and enjoy!

Old 08-29-2011, 01:17 PM

20,071 posts, read 13,744,602 times
Quote:
Can someone explain to me why so many people get their knickers in a knot over remakes? The reason studios like them so much is that they figure they have a built in audience. Movies cost money to make and have to make that money back plus a profit so you can't really blame the execs.

Plus, it's just a movie for goodness sake. No one is raping anything.
I agree! Remakes have been in music and movies ever since the very beginning. What is old always becomes new again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or