Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 08:10 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times

Advertisements

Can someone explain to me why so many people get their knickers in a knot over remakes? The reason studios like them so much is that they figure they have a built in audience. Movies cost money to make and have to make that money back plus a profit so you can't really blame the execs.

Plus, it's just a movie for goodness sake. No one is raping anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 08:14 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,182,616 times
Because it's Art, and to view it as anything short of that is a disservice to the Artist; All the way down to the poor SOB that is holding a mic boom.

Just like I hate movies that where only meant to be A movie, as in, NOT a trilogy. But now-a-days, if a movie is successful they will milk it till it's dry and sucks; They remove the Art from it, and it becomes nothing more then a money adventure. There is zero appreciation for the talents at work.

I suppose you like modern music as well? I mean, it's all about the $$ right? /rollseyes

Old 08-26-2011, 08:22 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
It certainly is a business, made to appeal to the largest audiences possible, including the lowest common denominator.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabronie View Post
Because it's Art, and to view it as anything short of that is a disservice to the Artist; All the way down to the poor SOB that is holding a mic boom.

Just like I hate movies that where only meant to be A movie, as in, NOT a trilogy. But now-a-days, if a movie is successful they will milk it till it's dry and sucks; They remove the Art from it, and it becomes nothing more then a money adventure. There is zero appreciation for the talents at work.

I suppose you like modern music as well? I mean, it's all about the $$ right? /rollseyes
Actually, yes I do like some modern music. I like plenty of indie stuff but don't see anything inherently wrong with Lady Gaga. And yes, it is about the $$. It's called the music BUSINESS. I also like old timey blues stuff that they didn't get paid jack s**t for. They are probably the ones that you can truly say did it for art's sake.

I can also appreciate art but I can't wrap my head around why people get so offended. As if they owned the movie. No one can destroy your memory of what the movie or art is/was so I just fail to see the problem.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:37 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,487,576 times
Well the way to put a business out of business is not to buy it's products

Old 08-26-2011, 10:41 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
Well the way to put a business out of business is not to buy it's products
No chance. The American public can't get enough of crap movies.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:02 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
Because to some of us cinema is an art as well as entertainment. A good movie to me can be almost as good as a good play but sadly they are pretty thin on the ground.

Most of the movie industry is just that. It is about bums on seats and to cinema what Justin Biever is to music. Perfect strangers. When a great film can profundly move, make you think and feel , be life affirming, as well as entertain an average blockbuster IMO patronises and exploits, and demeans what true cinematography is about.

A conveyor belt of crap, with no originality, less talent, plumbing depths so abysmal that it makes me wonder who in their right mind actually enjoys them. I had a look at my local multiplex cinema line-up last week and every single movie was something I could not even be paid to watch. Thank god for art and indie filmhouses... I would go insane if mainstream cinema was my only choice...

And yes I realise I am in a minority and that most people would rather watch "Transformers" than "Downfall" but it does make it any the less more pleasant for those of us who expect a little more and believe that quality and talent can be as entertaining as plastic babes botoxed to their hairlines, muscle men with the IQ of rotten cashew nuts, loud explosions and overblown special effects.

Movie making is a craft, it takes that art of story-telling to a different level, it opens up our human potential and I find it sad that billions of dollars every year are squandered on garbage which panders to the lowest common denominator and scrapes the bottom of the barrel ever so much more every single year. Mindless rot seems to be the order of the day and what the public craves so I suppose we get the movies we deserve as a society. I think this says plenty about who we are I think.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:15 PM

People just need to lighten the hell up. It's funny when blanket statements are thrown out like "all movies/music/TV today is garbage". There were probably pretentious a-holes sitting around a dinner table in the '30s lamenting the dearth of fine cinema. "Have you seen this movie, The Terror of Tiny Town? I declare this to be the end of good movies."

Oh well, to each their own. I will continue to enjoy Citizen Kane, The Godfather, & Raging Bull as well as Armageddon, Slumber Party Massacre & Scanners with equal aplomb.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:05 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,182,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Actually, yes I do like some modern music. I like plenty of indie stuff but don't see anything inherently wrong with Lady Gaga. And yes, it is about the $$. It's called the music BUSINESS. I also like old timey blues stuff that they didn't get paid jack s**t for. They are probably the ones that you can truly say did it for art's sake.

I can also appreciate art but I can't wrap my head around why people get so offended. As if they owned the movie. No one can destroy your memory of what the movie or art is/was so I just fail to see the problem.
It used to be the Music Industry. I very strongly recommend you set aside 90 minutes and watch the documentary Before the music dies. No studios cultivate talent any more, it's all spread sheets and greed. It was not like you describe in the post above here in the past - it's all been homogenized. The documentary is seriously worth the watch, promise.

Same kind of BS is rotting away the "Film Industry", and is now quickly creeping into the "Video Game Industry" ... See these used to "produce" something of worth, the kind of stuff that can stand the test of time; Not a bunch of ring tone artist that will be forgotten in one year, for the next new ringtone. Or only producing games that promise to be multi year franchises that you can re-hatch every year with minimal new content and charge full price for essentially the same product.

I'm also going to be more passionate nerd ragey about this then most. I'm a film, computer animation, graphic arts major, and a self taught musician. About half of my life long friends are making in living in some form of media art - Film, Bands, Glass blowers, traditional etc. It's a subject matter that is close to my heart.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:49 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
Show business is a business, people!

But...

There's no business like show business... Like no business I know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies