U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 11:26 AM

15,072 posts, read 19,718,275 times

Advertisements

I saw it once in the theater when I was about 8 or 9 years old. I don't remember being terribly impressed with it. That whole era of Disney movies that were a mix of live-action and animation with frequent singing and constant cutesyness just isn't my thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 03:56 PM

2,187 posts, read 6,578,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
But I think in 2011 the movie would not be tolerated like it was back then. GWTW is defintely not as bad as "Birth of a Nation".
Maybe but there aren't scenes with Ku Klux Klan members in Song of the South. Thank Goodness! My view is that it makes me personally grateful that society has progressed the way it has from the days of those stories. It does all those involved with the movement of ending slavery, and segregation a great disservice to not remind us of how things used to be and who worked tirelessly to make sure that the future did not contain such things.

What is that saying? "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." How many kids know about things like that these days? This movie would be a great history lesson as well as a technology lesson as to how Disney was able to mix live action and animation into their movies.

It isn't the greatest movie ever but how they have a huge attraction based on it, yet no one seems to know that is confusing. Disney is known for their family movies and this movie is no exception in my opinion. It should be released in one of those tins...maybe not sold at Target and Wal-Mart but for collectors at least. People should be able to choose if they wish to buy it or not.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:22 PM

120 posts, read 277,292 times
I believe Disney rereleases their movies about every 10 years or so. If you were so inclined to find out whether or not Song Of The South has been shelved permanently, a little googling might help.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:28 PM

2,187 posts, read 6,578,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by come_back_kid View Post
I believe Disney rereleases their movies about every 10 years or so. If you were so inclined to find out whether or not Song Of The South has been shelved permanently, a little googling might help.
Bob Iger has stated that the movie will not be taken out of the vault. It has been in the vault since the mid-eighties and hasn't been out ever since. My question is not when it will come out because that seems about as likely as me winning the lottery (I don't play) at this point. But, my question is regarding whether others also wish that Disney would have a change of heart regarding the release. But, thanks for the tip!

Old 08-30-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
But, my question is regarding whether others also wish that Disney would have a change of heart regarding the release. But, thanks for the tip!
If enough people wrote to Disney requesting the movie I'm sure they would at least strongly consider it.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:55 PM

4,896 posts, read 5,864,783 times
I love Song of the South, the songs, the stories. Thin skin finally reaches the point of being ridculous, IMO. I stop being too terribly offended about being called a racist, red neck, white trash, ignorant, uneducated, cousin marrying hillbilly, inbred, just because I was from the deep South. Life moves on and I suspect that a lot of people that keep whining about the injustices of America are looking for a free handout.......JMO.

eta: I watched a version of it not too long ago and the quality was awful but, I enjoyed Uncle Remus, all over again and so did my grandson. We wanted an uncle just like him...<s>
When I was a kid, I did love that man.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:25 PM

4,033 posts, read 8,245,548 times
I actually never saw it as a kid b/c I never needed to: we had the book on tape and we would listen to it all of the time. So, I learned all of the songs without having to see the racist movie. Then, when I was older, I actually read the Uncle Remus stories at my university's library. BTW, the stories always terrified me as a child but I loved the songs.

I watched a bit of the movie when I was older and don't think it would be a good idea to re-release it b/c it is too historically inaccurate and displays slavery as a happy/tolerable time for African Americans. In fact, what is so problematic with the film is that it is not only inaccurate wrt slavery but deviously so; I can see how kids (and even adults) might walk away from the film thinking that slavery and/or the ante-Bellum South was not such a bad system based on the film's depictions.

Moreover, as I stated, there are other ways to learn the songs and the stories without subjecting kids to an innacurate film of dubious character.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:36 PM

8,221 posts, read 10,947,521 times
This is a great movie and I too wish Disney would not be ashamed of it. I have both VHS and DVD copies of the movie. They have done all they could to bury this treasure but fortunately it hasn't worked.
I saw it as a child and as an adult, including at its last release int he 80's It always brings a smile to my face.

Just because this country has a shameful past doesn't mean ignoring it will make it go away.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I watched a bit of the movie when I was older and don't think it would be a good idea to re-release it b/c it is too historically inaccurate and displays slavery as a happy/tolerable time for African Americans.
I think it shows a human being's ability to overcome adversity and make the best of a bad situation.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:06 AM

4,033 posts, read 8,245,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by come_back_kid View Post
I think it shows a human being's ability to overcome adversity and make the best of a bad situation.
Well, that's not what a lot of African Americans have said about the film. Moreover, I would hardly call slavery a "bad situation."

While there are some positive messages to be gleaned from the Uncle Remus tales, most African Americans find the film objectionable b/c it shows African American slaves happily going about their chores as slaves and living harmoniously beside their benevolent, white slave owners, who are nothing but loving and kind. In short, it depicts none of the actual horrors of slavery but, rather, depicts it as a happy period for African Americans. Hence, the film doesn't confront the U.S.'s sordid past but, rather, romanticizes it, depicting slavery as a benign institution in which everyone lived happy lives in harmony with one another, which is why many African Americans find it objectionable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or