U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-01-2011, 12:03 PM
 
861 posts, read 1,057,600 times
Reputation: 782

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
That's it - I am absolutely a racist and insensitive to cultures which is why I must want to see the movie released again! Interesting that you would make an assumption as to what race I am, or that of my family. Because if you knew, you wouldn't make such assumptions because they are impossible. Please don't attack me because you don't like my viewpoint.

Now, if we can just get back to the topic...and stop all these accusations I would really appreciate it. Because some people do like the movie, want to see it released again and appreciate it as being a big part of Disney history.
If you are not a racist, you are an Uncle Tom!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-01-2011, 01:14 PM
 
Location: Maine
15,072 posts, read 19,718,275 times
Reputation: 17188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
Because some people do like the movie, want to see it released again and appreciate it as being a big part of Disney history.
If someone says Song of the South is a film of artistic merit that deserves to be seen despite its racism (even a cutesyfied portrayal of slavery) that's one thing. Birth of a Nation is a great piece of art. But it's also unabashedly racist. Same thing with lots of classic Warner Brothers cartoons.

But if someone says there's nothing racist and even a little disturbing about Song of the South and its portrayal of slavery, then they've been sipping too much zippee-dee-doo-dah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2011, 11:20 PM
 
Location: Massachusetts
4,033 posts, read 8,245,548 times
Reputation: 4867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
If someone says Song of the South is a film of artistic merit that deserves to be seen despite its racism (even a cutesyfied portrayal of slavery) that's one thing. Birth of a Nation is a great piece of art. But it's also unabashedly racist. Same thing with lots of classic Warner Brothers cartoons.

But if someone says there's nothing racist and even a little disturbing about Song of the South and its portrayal of slavery, then they've been sipping too much zippee-dee-doo-dah.
I love WB cartoons but I would never think of defending Speedy Gonzalez and/or considering the characterization as harmless simply b/c it is a cartoon. In fact, it is the use of the seemingly harmless medium of cartoon that veils the racism of such characterizations so as to render them really, really devious and disturbing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2011, 02:20 PM
 
Location: Massachusetts
4,033 posts, read 8,245,548 times
Reputation: 4867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
That's it - I am absolutely a racist and insensitive to cultures which is why I must want to see the movie released again! Interesting that you would make an assumption as to what race I am, or that of my family. Because if you knew, you wouldn't make such assumptions because they are impossible. Please don't attack me because you don't like my viewpoint.

Now, if we can just get back to the topic...and stop all these accusations I would really appreciate it. Because some people do like the movie, want to see it released again and appreciate it as being a big part of Disney history.
I never said you were a racist.

Moreover, I never diverged from the topic, you did ^^.

Furthermore, I never addressed your race or culture b/c it doesn't really matter; I have always responded to your comments and ideas.

However, I do think that, if you believe that your love for this film and your desire to see it re-released supercedes all of the pain and affront that it causes African Americans, then, yes, I do believe that you are culturally insensitive.

So, in short, I don't want to see a re-release of this film.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2011, 04:09 PM
 
18,856 posts, read 30,440,508 times
Reputation: 25990
I don't see this happening. While some people view it as a historical contextual movie, others see it as offensive and inaccurate, not unlike a movie that would portray Hitler as a benevolent Uncle, and show Holocaust camps as "education and work centers" with happy, fortunate students and workers skipping to various locations of the camp.

I actually saw this film as rather progressive for Disney, in an era, where African American's were not portrayed positively in films at all. But, it was in the context of that time in history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2012, 05:11 AM
 
Location: Montgomery County, MD
3,241 posts, read 3,146,703 times
Reputation: 3010
This movie should be put on DVD but not marketed to kids as a "Disney classic". It's good as a historical film, like Birth of a Nation. The treatment should be like when WB released the old Looney Tunes classics with the blackface and un-PC gags uncut but a disclaimer about it. I think its a shame to try to erase any film from history, that's why you still have film students watching Birth of a Nation since it is not without artistic merit but should be allowed to be displayed to people. I think Disney fears a NAACP backlash but I doubt that would even happen as long as they released it tastefully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2012, 01:26 AM
 
Location: Old Mother Idaho
19,357 posts, read 13,010,410 times
Reputation: 14063
One interesting aspect about The Song of the South is how some of the animals- B'rer Fox and B'rer Bear in particular, are caricatures of poor white southerners.

A lot of white folks with Appalachian heritage have become sensitive to the hillbilly stereotype these days, so there is a lot that is objectionable in both sides of the discussion about the movie. Disney won't ever show their old World War II cartoons that had very racist caricatures of the Japanese either, for the very same reasons.

Disney's best work is beloved by all races, all over the world, and the Disney corporation knows full well that controversy, especially racial controversy, is particularly harmful to it's business these days.

Birth of A Nation is an antique. It's so old that there are very few still living who saw it in a movie theater, and it has long been sent to history's dustbin of curiosities and artifacts.
This isn't true with Song of the South, Dumbo, and some of the other early 50's releases that have racial elements in them. During that period, Disney made a lot of disturbing cartoons; Alice In Wonderland and Dumbo were both very wrenching movies for small children. Dumbo struck a child's fear of abandonment very hard, and Alice was an unrelenting psychedelic nightmare that was equally disturbing. Neither was a hit, and many adults left both during screenings.
For good reason, too. When stripped of the cute elements, both movies had very dark themes, were full of horror, and had very weak redemptive endings. The same was true with Pinocchio, which was also a big flop even though it was the most handsome animation Disney ever produced. Once the horror in Pinocchio began, like Alice in Wonderland, it never let up. All Disney's feature length animations have menace in them; threat is a necessary element in drama. But I'm sure that the present leaders of the Disney corporation must wonder what old Walt was thinking when he released those movies, including Song of the South and many others, including So Dear to My Heart, Pecos Bill and Ichabod Crane. The public didn't want to go to a Disney movie and come out sad, crying or scared, but the studio kept making them, one after another.

It wasn't until Peter Pan, then Lady and the Tramp that Disney returned to its winning formula again, and Lady was their biggest animated hit in years. After Lady & the Tramp, released in 1955, another animated feature was not released until Sleeping Beauty, which was actually a re-worked Snow White, in 1959. All of Disney's other movies in the 50's were live action, and many were hits.

Last edited by banjomike; 05-14-2012 at 01:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2012, 10:25 AM
 
Location: Westchester County
1,096 posts, read 1,342,289 times
Reputation: 966
Sure re-release it as part of a double feature with "The Help". Both films depicting "The good 'ol days" when America was just an innocent little country that practiced slavery, and later Jim Crow law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2012, 10:34 AM
 
4 posts, read 3,750 times
Reputation: 14
it will depend upon disney.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2012, 12:00 AM
 
Location: Bellingham, WA
9,745 posts, read 13,649,795 times
Reputation: 14764
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
This movie should be put on DVD but not marketed to kids as a "Disney classic". It's good as a historical film, like Birth of a Nation. The treatment should be like when WB released the old Looney Tunes classics with the blackface and un-PC gags uncut but a disclaimer about it. I think its a shame to try to erase any film from history, that's why you still have film students watching Birth of a Nation since it is not without artistic merit but should be allowed to be displayed to people. I think Disney fears a NAACP backlash but I doubt that would even happen as long as they released it tastefully.
In fact, Disney has done similar disclaimers on the DVD releases of the old Donald Duck short films, many of which contain some things that some may find offensive. But it's been a long time since I've seen "Song of the South", so maybe it's a lot more offensive. Actually, I'm not sure if I've ever seen all of "Song of the South", come to think of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top