Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 04:12 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,944,148 times

Advertisements

I ran into someone that didn't know where Zip a Dee Doo Dah came from and was a bit shocked. I remember watching "Song of the South" in grade school and of course if you go on Splash Mountain at a Disney Park, you get a refresher a very subtle one). But, it does make me sad that Disney will not release this movie again. As much as I can remember, I really liked the film. I understand that some are offended by it, but really it is history...we live in a society that was horribly racist, much of the United States had slavery amongst other things that we aren't proud of. But, the stories are real and I don't understand how it is ever okay to censor a movie being shown because we don't want to remember the history of the days, the stereotypes, etc. that were involved in the original stories.

Anyone else wish that this movie would come back at some point? I really hope that Disney changes its mind in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 04:15 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,305,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
I ran into someone that didn't know where Zip a Dee Doo Dah came from and was a bit shocked. I remember watching "Song of the South" in grade school and of course if you go on Splash Mountain at a Disney Park, you get a refresher a very subtle one). But, it does make me sad that Disney will not release this movie again. As much as I can remember, I really liked the film. I understand that some are offended by it, but really it is history...we live in a society that was horribly racist, much of the United States had slavery amongst other things that we aren't proud of. But, the stories are real and I don't understand how it is ever okay to censor a movie being shown because we don't want to remember the history of the days, the stereotypes, etc. that were involved in the original stories.

Anyone else wish that this movie would come back at some point? I really hope that Disney changes its mind in the future.
YES! I completely agree!

Old 08-29-2011, 05:45 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
Ask, and youtube shall provide:

Walt Disney's Song Of The South Part 1 - YouTube

Maybe that's why Disney doesn't do it; you can already watch it for free...

Old 08-29-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Ask, and youtube shall provide:

Walt Disney's Song Of The South Part 1 - YouTube

Maybe that's why Disney doesn't do it; you can already watch it for free...

Yeah...but it is horrible quality. So surprised Disney hasn't yanked that off of Youtube by now. They are very protective of their brand, and licensing usually.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:23 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,615,476 times
Quote:

No one is censoring this movie. Disney has likely decided to never show it again as there would probably be a firestorm of controversy. That is a business decision on their part, not censorship.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
No one is censoring this movie. Disney has likely decided to never show it again as there would probably be a firestorm of controversy. That is a business decision on their part, not censorship.
Yes, but what group has the most power over Disney? It makes no sense. I guess they really worry about the controversy, yet I don't know one person who wouldn't watch it? Is anyone really offended by it still? Isn't being offended with Song of the South no different than being offended with Gone with the Wind? Yet that movie is available everywhere?

Old 08-30-2011, 06:08 AM

1,921 posts, read 2,017,883 times
Quote:
Is anyone really offended by it still?
Are you kidding? Of course some people are offended by this sort of stereotype ho-de-do-ing. Gone With The Wind doesn't have to live up to the squeaky-clean Disney image (and yes, some people are offended by GWTW, too).

Old 08-30-2011, 06:30 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,739,643 times
It was a good movie, but the movie is branded as racist for a reason. History or not, it is still offensive.Most of these cartoon companies Looney Tones and older cartoons had racist undertones. Doing a simple Youtube search and seeing how racist cartoons used to be is appalling. Any cartoon that features the blackface is IMO extremely racist. When racism is directed towards black people everyone lets it slide.

Disturbingly Racist Cartoons - YouTube

Old 08-30-2011, 06:33 AM

But Song of the South is based on actual books...this isn't just made up stereotypes. There are books that actually exist and are valued by many historians. I guess you can't make everyone happy but history is history.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:36 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,739,643 times
But I think in 2011 the movie would not be tolerated like it was back then. GWTW is defintely not as bad as "Birth of a Nation".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies