U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 10:28 PM

10,452 posts, read 10,231,190 times

Advertisements

Rachel McAdams...every movie I've seen her in, she's the bully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 10:31 PM

23,725 posts, read 16,028,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
Sylvester Stallone, Jennifer Aniston, Reece Witherspoon, Angelina Jolie...in fact, most of them. Tom Cruise ALWAYS plays some sort of gun toting smart arse, probably because he IS one.

This is why I loathe "Hollywood" movies...so formulaic, so loud, so full of violence, predicatable plots and unbelievable characters.
Stallone has to be the king of typecast. Weren't there a dozen Rocky movies and at least a half dozen Rambo movies?

Old 05-01-2012, 02:43 PM

6,258 posts, read 10,334,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
No one smack-talks about my Rachel! I didn't know she was always the bully but doesn't matter, she could bully me anytime.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:41 AM

24,720 posts, read 59,631,443 times
I am not sure it is typecasting, but Tom Cruise plays the same character no matter what the role is. Even if the roles are not intended to be the same, he plays the same character. He is the worst male actor star I can think of. Generally if he is the star of a movie, I will skip it, or maybe save it for a rental on a dull evening (when it is really cold wet and windy outside and redbox is sold out of everything else).

Old 05-04-2012, 11:30 AM

5,758 posts, read 9,490,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
She was a bully in Time Traveler's Wife, the Notebook, and Wedding Crashers?

It seems to me that the only Rachel McAdams movie you have seen is Mean Girls.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:22 PM

1,739 posts, read 4,824,077 times
Beyond the bully thing, those three movies you mentioned she plays the same role. It's like she's the new Katherine Heigl.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:24 PM

5,758 posts, read 9,490,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
Beyond the bully thing, those three movies you mentioned she plays the same role. It's like she's the new Katherine Heigl.
She was making movies like that before Katherine Heigl. Heigl and her together are probably the biggest female stars right now.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:08 PM

15,989 posts, read 29,795,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
She makes the worst movies. Haven't did anything decent since Knocked up. I don't think she's leading girl material.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:22 PM

749 posts, read 690,153 times
John Wayne was the all-time king at playing the same role in every movie....especially once he became established. It was quite the norm back in the day, when marquee actors were under contract to their respective studios, and fans didn't want or expect to see a variation in the type of roles the top stars played......and the studios helped to see to it.

These days, with the death of the contract player, actors - at least the successful ones - can cherry pick their roles, and often as a result, get to play characters that stretch their acting abilities. If an actor these days has real talent, you'll rarely see them fall into a typical character film after film. You do however see this phenomenon happen with talented actors as they get older, (see Pacino, DeNiro, Nicholson as examples).

Old 05-04-2012, 05:33 PM

7,558 posts, read 7,985,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyTrav View Post
John Wayne was the all-time king at playing the same role in every movie....especially once he became established. It was quite the norm back in the day, when marquee actors were under contract to their respective studios, and fans didn't want or expect to see a variation in the type of roles the top stars played......and the studios helped to see to it.

These days, with the death of the contract player, actors - at least the successful ones - can cherry pick their roles, and often as a result, get to play characters that stretch their acting abilities. If an actor these days has real talent, you'll rarely see them fall into a typical character film after film. You do however see this phenomenon happen with talented actors as they get older, (see Pacino, DeNiro, Nicholson as examples).
Very true. Humphrey Bogart, Edward G. Robinson, Myrna Loy, Jimmy Cagney.

Today, as we did back then, we do have some talented character actors who do not get the leads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or