U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 09:08 PM

23,779 posts, read 16,043,994 times

Advertisements

Just thought of another one because one of his movies is on now...

Jim Carrey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 11:41 AM

51,364 posts, read 50,627,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Rachel McAdams...every movie I've seen her in, she's the bully.
In Red Eye, she's not a bully. Nor in the Notebook. Those are the only two I've seen her in.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:15 PM

33,954 posts, read 32,416,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
tom cruise when he's at his best
My favorite Tom Cruise movie is actually Collateral where he played the bad guy although except for MI 2 and Minority report, I've liked his other movies, too.

My favorite Tom Hanks movie is Road To Perdition and I don't even like Hanks. I just really like that movie and think he was wise to take that role. He's good in it.

I wouldn't know Rachel McAdams if I tripped over her and the only thing I've ever seen Katherine Heigel in is Roswell.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:19 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,691,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Let's not forget keeping the same accent for every film he's in.
It doesn't matter if he's playing an American, a Russian, or some other nationality.
He's always going to be talking with a Brit accent and no one will care.
I love his Cockney accent personally

Old 05-07-2012, 10:05 AM

7,376 posts, read 12,539,152 times
Liam Neeson but yes I love him
The Rock
Steve Austin
John Cena
I guess pretty much any wrestler

Old 05-07-2012, 11:15 AM

455 posts, read 746,793 times
Remove Jonah Hill OP!

Old 05-07-2012, 12:10 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,329,354 times
Samuel L. Jackson...

Will Ferrell...

Old 05-07-2012, 01:29 PM

1,109 posts, read 1,983,335 times
I can understand comedy actors or hard core physical actors get typecast since that is what they are best at and not necessarily their acting skills.
What I dont get is how bad actors become so successful. Anyway.
Will Ferrel
Tom Cruise
Matt Damon

Old 05-08-2012, 07:33 PM

2,942 posts, read 4,224,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
I can understand comedy actors or hard core physical actors get typecast since that is what they are best at and not necessarily their acting skills.
What I dont get is how bad actors become so successful. Anyway.
Will Ferrel
Tom Cruise
Matt Damon
^ I hope you're not implying here that Tom Cruise is a bad actor. He's a bit of a fruitcake in real life (you have to be if you buy into Scientology) but he is a great actor imo.

Most actors have been mentioned already but I would add Jennifer Aniston. Has she ever played a character that had any depth? She always seems to play the same kind of "pretty girl" role in romantic comedies, not very challenging.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:12 PM

14,752 posts, read 27,556,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I am not sure it is typecasting, but Tom Cruise plays the same character no matter what the role is. Even if the roles are not intended to be the same, he plays the same character. He is the worst male actor star I can think of. Generally if he is the star of a movie, I will skip it, or maybe save it for a rental on a dull evening (when it is really cold wet and windy outside and redbox is sold out of everything else).
I agree with this. He is "Risky Business," even as an adult...a barely post-pubescent frat boy, whether 24 or 44. I was watching "The Firm," which I'm sure you've seen, and did not find him credible as a Harvard Law grad courted by this blue blood Memphis law firm and then embroiled in whatever happened later during that film. To me, he is NOT convincing as a professional or an important person.

Ditto for Brad Pitt. He is the "dude" in "Thelma and Louise." While he did an ok job in "Seven," one of the most disturbing movies I've seen, I don't think his range is that good. Kevin Spacey was the actor that made "Seven" as chilling as it was.

Ditto for George Clooney. He plays George Clooney. He is probably more talented than either Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt, but not by much.

One actor that is definitely type cast, and has not been mentioned, is Armand Assante. With a face like that, you either play a detective or a gangster.

I'd go on to say that John Travolta morphed into a better actor. Jack Nicholson is talented, but has not been given a lot of latitude in the characters he plays, with them often being of the foul mouthed variety. Sidney Poitier, Kevin Kline, Kevin Spacey and William Hurt have always been talented and can tackle a lot of breadth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or