U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 08:07 AM

2,161 posts, read 1,607,026 times

Advertisements

Clint Eastwood

Not every movie, but then, who does? Close enough, though.

A man of few words, the endless slow-burn squinting, that slow and contemptuous gravelly-growl of a voice.

Cowboy or cop, at least half his roles. The prototypes for his roles, of course, being The Man With No Name and Dirty Harry. The ultimate do-not-f*ck-with character. It's not all bad -- he doesn't have much range, but what he does well he does very well. Or, at least in a very entertaining and iconical manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 08:37 AM

2,379 posts, read 4,282,348 times
Michelle Rodrieguez. So much so that when the rumors were that she bought a house where we were living at the time, I told husband - I wouldn't want to run into her in a dark alley.

Quote:
Following her debut in Girlfight, Rodriguez has consistently portrayed tough girl, tomboyish characters that operate in traditional male fields such as the police force or armed forces. Rodriguez says that she does not mind the typecasting, and in fact, is somewhat responsible for it:[28]
Oh baby, I was typecast the minute I did a film called Girlfight years ago. That has nothing to do with anything, it just has to do with… you allow yourself to be typecast. If I decided I didn't want to be typecast tomorrow I'd just go do an indie film where I play some poor girl who goes through some excruciating experience and win myself an award for crying or being raped [breaks into laughter] or playing someone with mental illness. But at the end of the day I'm not in it for the acting. If I were in it for the acting then I would be worried about people not giving me the opportunity to express my vast array of emotions on the screen.

I could give two ****s. I only wanna be someone I respect or someone that I consider interesting or fun. I'm here to entertain people and make a statement about female empowerment and strength and that's what I've done for the last 10 years, and people can call it typecast, but I pigeonholed myself and I put myself in that box for saying no to everything else that came on my plate. Saying no to the girlfriend, saying no to the girl that gets captured, no to this, no to that and eventually I just got left with the strong chick that's always being killed and there's nothing wrong with that.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:41 AM

28,906 posts, read 45,194,930 times
Richard Gere has two basic emotions:

Blink slowly -- Happy or calm
Blink quickly -- Mad or confused

Old 05-09-2012, 10:55 AM

696 posts, read 1,083,295 times
Are people really surprised that actors play the same type of role again and again? Do you all really think it is just a coincidence or a "weakness" on their part to be playing the same kind of roles? Come on, get real!!

Every actor gets remembered for a particular type of acting, personality, expressions, body language, verbal gestures etc. Audience likes (or dislikes) each actor for his/her distinct feature(s)! Which is why the producers/directors want them to continue doing the same things. Sure there are some talented actors in high demand that can pull off acting in completely different roles, using completely different personalities etc. (such as Heath Ledger, typically playing a teen heart-throb of some sort, playing the Joker in Dark Knight), but for most of them, the audience likes them for their specific features/attributes and it SELLS, which is why they are cast in the same kind of roles. Is that necessarily their fault or even a bad thing?? Come on!

How would you feel if Michael Jackson tried to sing opera songs? Would he still be as popular as he was with the pop stuff??

How would you feel if Metallica tried to play a Josh Groban songs? Would they become as big/iconic of a band as Metallica has been?

How would you feel if Frank Sinatra decided to switch to start a heavy metal band? Would anybody listen to him? Would he still become a legend??

See my point??? Regardless of what the medium is (music, movies, TV etc.), what really matters is that each performer is popular for a certain distinct genre or attribute based on their natural talent, ability, voice, expression etc. and they stick to those roles and people keep watching their performances! Which is why it pays to cast certain actors for certain roles by paying them big bucks, or they could pick some average Joe wannabes from around the streets all the time and the whole celebrity culture would never have evolved !!! That is why Michael Richards will always be known as Kramer. Jason Alexander will always be George Costanza ... the so called "curse of the Seinfeld" ...and so on and so forth ...it all makes sense, because it is US, the CONSUMERS, who LIKE typecasting/stereotyping and expect certain attributes for different actors to stay the same, which is what made them popular in the first place!

It's not that big of a surprise!

Last edited by ronyusa; 05-09-2012 at 11:07 AM..

Old 05-09-2012, 11:13 AM

5,517 posts, read 8,763,052 times
Just a few off the top of my head-

Jason Statham- In fact, it goes beyond him playing the same character, all of his movies are identical.

Gabrielle Union- Always plays a snoody biatch

Matthew McConaughey- Always plays a laid back "surfer" guy

Jack Black- Always plays a goofy everyman, usually with artistic ability/interest

Will Ferrell- Always plays an over the top immature adult

Old 05-09-2012, 12:57 PM

5,517 posts, read 8,763,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Klato View Post
1. Jason Bateman
2. Ryan Reynolds
3. Jonah Hill
4. Michael Cera
5. Christopher Mintz-Plasse
6. Bill Hader
7. Seth Rogen
8. Emma Stone
9. Steve Carell
10. Justin Long
11. Jay Baruchel

All play the same role in every movie. They are niche actors. The Oscars should create an award for this type of acting. I enjoyed the movies that they have done but i am somewhat over the type of characters that they always portray.

I have to disagree with some of these, most namely Ryan Reynolds. Reynolds has done a number of different things including being a super hero, same thing with Rogen.

I think for some of these, you are equivalating playing characters using the same personality traits, as actually playing the same character.

For instance, Ryan Reynolds is always going to bring his personality to the characters he plays, but are the Green Lantern and Monty from Waiting the same character?

Old 05-11-2012, 09:18 AM

3,735 posts, read 3,817,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Will Ferrell- Always plays an over the top immature adult

^^^ Yes. And in Woody Allen movies, he totally apes Allen's acting style.
I can't stand him.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:31 AM

7,843 posts, read 11,137,853 times
I thought Will Ferrell did really well in that movie where he plays the divorced guy with the yard sale.
But again, I tend to forgive the comedians.
There are two things here. Actors who play the same role (whether it was written that way or not) over and over
and
Actors who play themselves playing the same role over and over.
Aniston is the worst offender on both.

But were Ryan and Rogen good in their super hero roles? I didn't see the movies but I got the impression not.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:57 AM

4,666 posts, read 5,829,758 times
I read through all of these and can't believe nobody mentioned Mel Gibson. He is on my top three for always playing the same role along with Cruise and Sandler.

Old 05-12-2012, 02:53 PM

5,165 posts, read 8,078,240 times
Generally speaking, most rappers/singers and professional wrestlers play the same role in every film.

I can't believe nobody mentioned Colin Farrell.

All the others I thought of have already been mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or