U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2011, 08:20 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,743,097 times

Advertisements

Helen Mirren is my absolute favorite actress, so I was stoked to hear about her starring in an upcoming movie called "The Debt."

Channel-surfing last night, I came across the Sundance Channel just as a movie called "The Debt" was starting. Confused, I figured it was a promo or a trailer but no, it was the complete movie.

"But where's Helen Mirren?" my DH asked about an hour into the film, as confused as I was. Neither of us recognized any of the actors and it was subtitled in Yiddish.

Turns out the Helen Mirren film is a remake of the original idea, an obscure Israeli movie called "Ha Hov." We were both mesmerized by this first film of Mossad agents tracking a vicious Nazi war criminal and highly recommend seeing it if you can find it.

Has anyone seen it?

Yes, now we know the surprising twist in the plot but we can't wait to see Dame Mirren strut her stuff and reprise the role in the remake.

The original: The Debt (2007 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The remake: The Debt (2011 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 08:26 PM

668 posts, read 786,281 times
I was confused too as I read the capsule for this one and thought I had seen a trailer for something very similar a few years ago.

I saw it this afternoon, and I thought it was quite good. I like Helen Mirren as well, but Jessica Chastain steals the show in my opinion. I wasn't too impressed with her in Tree of Life, but after this I'd like to see her in more movies.

Overall I thought the movie was strong but the story was weak (would probably be especially so if you already know the twists). It did, however, make me want to read the old Le Carre spy classics.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:09 PM

6,679 posts, read 11,893,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nast View Post
I was confused too as I read the capsule for this one and thought I had seen a trailer for something very similar a few years ago.

I saw it this afternoon, and I thought it was quite good. I like Helen Mirren as well, but Jessica Chastain steals the show in my opinion. I wasn't too impressed with her in Tree of Life, but after this I'd like to see her in more movies.

Overall I thought the movie was strong but the story was weak (would probably be especially so if you already know the twists). It did, however, make me want to read the old Le Carre spy classics.

I will most likely see The Debt later this week. Helen Mirren is the big draw for me, as she has always been one of my favorite actors. I'm sure I will enjoy this film from the reviews I have read.

I did not care for Tree Of Life at all. I really had to hold myself back from walking out of the theater. Always hoping it would get better, make more sense and become enjoyable to watch. For me that never happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or