U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 01:43 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,163,977 times

Advertisements

Odd, quirky movies are all I really like. I get sick of the same old crap shoveled to us by Hollywood year after year under a different name with different actors. Recommendations:

1) Interviews with Hideous Men (Humorous and directed by John Krasinski from The Office)
2) Harmony and Me (Had to watch it twice before the humor set in)
3) In the Company of Men (not a movie you want your girlfriend or wife to see)
4) Being John Malkovich
5) Stranger Then Fiction (possibly my fav of all time)
6) Army of Darkness
7) Time Bandits
8) A Fish Called Wanda
9) Brazil (Sarcastic take on big government)
10) Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (Drugs and Humor)
11) Leaving Las Vegas (Really really sad and depressing though Cage won an academy award for best actor)
12) Clerks
13) I Love You Phillip Morris (The man on man kissing made me squimish but still a very good movie)
14) Train Spotting (Heroin)
15) Pi (Math)
16) A Clockwork Orange (Extreme Violence and another movie you dont want to watch with your wife or girlfriend)
17) Reservoir Dogs
18) Best In Show
19) Confessions of a Dangerous Mind
20) People Under the Stairs (kinda stupid and good at the same time)
21) The Road (a must see for anyone who likes dark, disturbing movies)
22) Reqium For a Dream (Heroin)
23) Basketball Diaries (Heroin)
24) Children of Men
25) Soylent Green
26) Into the Wild (Inspiring and sad)
27) A Scanner Darkly (almost forgot this one, really good movie)
28) Sweeney Todd (Gory musical, lots of blood)

Sorry for the long list/post.

Last edited by Scottay; 02-02-2013 at 02:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 06:20 PM

7,129 posts, read 3,951,601 times
Linkeroever (2008) - IMDb aka Left Bank ~ I'm not sure that I like it. It's just that it persists in nagging at me, making me want to see it again. // IMDb synopsis: In Antwerp, Marie is a world-class runner at 22, with a general air of discontent. She learns she has chronic fatigue syndrome and must stop training for a month. At the track, she meets Bobby, an archer, and they start a relationship. Bobby invites her to stay with him while recovering; he lives at West Bank, three blocks of tall buildings built on an isolated plot. Marie learns that the previous tenant in Bobby's flat disappeared, leaving notes about the building's cellar and photos of the area before West Bank was built. The missing woman's boyfriend visits one day. What's going on? // Actually, one might STILL wonder what's going on when the end comes.

Sherlock Holmes (Video 2010 ~ T-Rex and kraken and dragon~oh my! Sherlock Holmes goes steampunk in this imaginative adventure. It seems to be intensely disliked by many people, but I'll take this over RDJr.'s messy movie! I had fun watching this, as it made me think of the TV series "The Secret Adventures of Jules Verne".

Sherlock Holmes Trailer from The Asylum - YouTube ~ trailer

Unmasking the Idol (1988) - IMDb ~ Duncan Jax must stop the evil terrorist Scarlet Leader from acquiring nuclear bombs that could start World War III. Together with his trusty baboon, Boon, he takes on the almost impossible mission. He must steal the gold that Scarlet Leader plans to use to purchase weapons of destruction. // This is such a dopey movie, a parody of James Bond and other such adventures. I would love to see the first movie to see if it's as crazy.

Eliminators (1986) - IMDb ~ IMDb synopsis: As part of their experiments in time travel, Drs. Reeves and Takada construct the cyborg Mandroid with the body of a downed pilot. After the success of the initial experiments, Reeves decides to have Mandroid scrapped. Not wishing to be taken apart, Mandroid flees with the help of Dr. Takeda, who is killed for his disobedience. Distraught by the death of his friend, Mandroid goes in search of someone who can help him get revenge and stop Dr. Reeves in his evil plan to use his time machine for world conquest.

Eliminators - 1986 Movie (Part 1) - YouTube ~ Part 1

YellowBrickRoad (2010) - IMDb ~ 1940: The entire population of Friar, New Hampshire, walked up a winding mountain trail, leaving everything behind. 2008: The first official expedition into the wilderness attempts to solve the mystery of the lost citizens of Friar. // It sounds like the Blair Witch type~a movie that I thought was pitiful; however, I feel that it stands on its own and has the possibility of becoming a cult film. This one got to me and really made me keep thinking about it. I watched it again soon after and hope that someday I'll see it whole, not hacked up for network airing. I'd group this with "Dead End" (2003), a seemingly neverending trip.

Yellowbrickroad - Official Trailer - YouTube ~ trailer

Head (1968) - IMDb ~ IMDb synopsis: Running in from seemingly nowhere, The Monkees (Davy Jones, Peter Tork, Michael Nesmith and Micky Dolenz) disrupt a bridge-opening ceremony. Where did they come from? It seems that they were filming a series of vignettes in several genres, including the Wild West, a desert war, the Civil War, and science fiction. They disagree with much of what is happening and try to figure out how to escape the oppression they feel, symbolized by a big, black box in which they are imprisoned by strange forces. / Talk about mind-blowing! Far out!

HEAD - YouTube ~ complete film

Old 02-05-2013, 02:11 PM

592 posts, read 639,942 times
One of the most unique movies I have ever seen is an old late 70s scifi movie called Logan's Run. I watched it again about a year ago and was happy to see that it passed the test of time.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:19 PM

9,457 posts, read 16,408,211 times
All of my favorite movies are odd I think:

Harold and Maude--first saw it at 13 and thought it was terribly romantic--still do

Time Bandits--was never a huge Monty Python fan but this showed them at their best

Zorba the Greek

The Gods Must be Crazy--I knew about the first two but one day found out that there were several more but the little bushman has since passed on

The Bad Seed--showed this to a high school book club recently and they loved it

Wristcutters: a love story

Young Frankenstein

YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN trailer - YouTube

Old 02-07-2013, 05:59 PM

The Fabulous World of Jules Verne

The Fabulous World of Jules Verne - YouTube

Journey to the Beginning of Time

Journey To The Beginning Of Time (1954) Trailer - YouTube

Little Otik

Little Otik - part1-1/4 - YouTube

Alice

Alice - N

Donnie Darko ~ may have been listed elsewhere

Donnie Darko ( 2001) Part 1 - YouTube

Yellow Submarine

The Beatles Yellow Submarine - YouTube

The Adventures of Mark Twain

The Adventures of Mark Twain 1 of 9 - YouTube

Old 02-07-2013, 06:17 PM

6,400 posts, read 6,499,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Data1000 View Post
One of the most unique movies I have ever seen is an old late 70s scifi movie called Logan's Run. I watched it again about a year ago and was happy to see that it passed the test of time.
We love Logan's Run! It's odd, but good.
Clerks - funny, but you want to smack them
Parents - Randy Quaid's weirdest role
The Gods Must Be Crazy 2 - I like this better than the first one.
Eraserhead - saw it once, went O.o

Old 02-07-2013, 08:40 PM

2,683 posts, read 3,261,953 times
Last Year in Marienbad (1961)

Some people adore this film, others find it hopelessly pretentious, I find it puzzling. But it's European, so it's an "art" film.

By the way, the actors were told to pose like statues.

Here's the whole film!

Our Mother's House (1967)

Diary of a Mad Housewife (1970)

Film companies refuse to put this movie on DVD (even The Criterion Collection).

It's available on VHS. However, YouTube has the whole film in 7 parts. It is the television version (apparently there are two versions, a theatrical version and a television version). So even though it is a chopped up TV version, it is better than nothing.

Perhaps they won't put it on DVD because it is an intelligent film about a woman? The men treat the main character shamefully but remember it is a diary, it is from her point of view. The ending is quite cynical.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:56 PM

I'm curious about what you wrote about "Diary of a Mad Housewife" because I watched this on HBO long ago, have seen it aired on network TV, and watched it on a cable movie channel as recently as 2012. As far as I know, it's always been available for viewing though it's possible it's like huge numbers of movies that remain unavailable on the supposedly superior DVD, a format I don't think much of. If Carrie Snodgress, Richard Benjamin and Frank Langella star, it's the theatrical version unless they nipped it here and there for showing on TV. When I saw it on a local station, it seemed to be fairly intact from what I recall. I doubt that there's anything to do with not wanting an intelligent film about women because there are many of those. It definitely is a film worth viewing. I recall the exchange at the dinner table when her husband says to the children of something she said, "Isn't Mommy silly?" or something close to that. Richard Benjamin is generally a comedic actor, but he did a wonderful job of playing this subtly abusive man. This might have been the first time I encountered Langella; I know that I've been a fan of this actor for many decades.

"Our Mother's House" is an excellent film to suggest, as it definitely is an obscure one. Thanks to HBO in those early years, I was fortunate to get to see it a number of times. It's also been shown in recent years though I can't recall if it was on TCM or a cable movie channel. It certainly holds up, with wonderful performances by Pamela Franklin and Dirk Bogarde. I recall, in the Seventies, being delighted to see Mark Lester of "Oliver!" in this early role.

I have to admit that it's been ages since I saw the third film. I'd like to see it again, as I have only hazy memories. At college in the early Seventies, they used to show films for 50 cents in a room under the library (very cool architecture!). We were treated to "Marienbad", "Forbidden Games", "La Strada", "The Bicycle Thief" (as that copy was titled), and the occasional U.S. film, including "High Noon".

Good choices!

Now, I'll add a few:

The Nanny
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_2519YDw4c
This is likeliest the subtlest work Bette Davis has done. Generally, I watch it along with "Bunny Lake Is Missing" and sometimes "Seance on a Wet Afternoon".

Before there was "Single White Female", there was 3 Women:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpca6eTJc3g

Here's one of the few works in Esperanto: Incubus, starring William Shatner, with an ill-fated cast:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHUfHj2lTaM
Many people connected with the film met unfortunate fates after it wrapped, giving rise to an urban legend that this was a cursed production:
@ Actor Milos Milos, the Serbian actor who played the Incubus, killed his girlfriend, Barbara Ann Thomason Rooney~the estranged fifth wife of Mickey Rooney~and himself in 1966, nine months before the film's premiere.
@ Actress Ann Atmar committed suicide 12 days before the film's premiere.
@ The daughter of actress Eloise Hardt was kidnapped and murdered.
@ William Shatner's third wife drowned in a pool.
@ Director Leslie Stevens and actress Allyson Ames divorced, and Stevens' production company, Daystar Productions, went bankrupt.
@ Also, partly because of its Esperanto dialogue and partly because of the scandal of one of the actors taking his own life and that of his girlfriend, they were unable to find any distribution for the film except in France, where it premiered in November 1966.

I'm not sure I believe in cursed productions, but this one certainly is connected to a lot of tragedy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incubus_(1966_film)

Last edited by MystMoonstruck; 02-07-2013 at 10:18 PM..

Old 02-07-2013, 10:10 PM

577 posts, read 798,352 times
One of the oddest films I've ever seen was a film called "Catch as Catch Can", which was the U.S. title for a Italian film "Lo Scatenato" (the Wild). It is one of those sixties films from abroad that used to show up regularly on late night television. Bright and colorful with Rome as the backdrop. Vittorio Gassman is a washed up former movie star who is down to doing commercials, often with animals. The problem is the animal world (for reasons never explained in the movie) has completely turned against him. None of the short clips on YouTube really do it justice, however this short clip will give you an idea of the movie. Gassman's character is trying to kill a fly that has been buzzing around him nonstop driving him crazy.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:37 PM

3,647 posts, read 5,303,738 times
I'd say:
Donnie Darko
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Fargo
Requiem for a Dream
Raising Arizona

and Pink Flamingos....which is out there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or