U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 10:41 PM

2,080 posts, read 2,010,609 times

Advertisements

"Seducing Doctor Lewis" - a French Canadian film. I had to watch a foreign language film for a class. Picked this up at Blockbuster and liked it so much I bought it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 10:50 PM

7,129 posts, read 3,953,329 times
I can't say that I loved these, but they were interesting to watch. "Savages" aired on TCM, the only time I've seen it.

Savages (1972)
IMDb synopsis:
A tribe of primitive "mudpeople" encounter a croquet ball, rolling through their forest. Following it, they find themselves on a vast, deserted Long Island estate. Entering, they begin to become civilized and assume the stereotypical roles and dress of people at a weekend party. There follows an allegory of upper-class behavior. At last, they begin to devolve toward their original status, and, after a battle at croquet, they disappear into the woods.
CAST: Lewis J. Stadlen, Salome Jens, Susan Blakely, Thayer David, Martin Kove, Kathleen Widdoes, Sam Waterston

Arizona Dream (1992)
IMDb synopsis:
An Innuit hunter races his sled home with a fresh-caught halibut. This fish pervades the entire film, in real and imaginary form. Meanwhile, Axel tags fish in New York as a naturalist's gofer. He's happy there, but a messenger arrives to bring him to Arizona for his uncle's wedding. It's a ruse to get Axel into the family business. In Arizona, Axel meets two odd women: vivacious, needy, and plagued by neuroses and familial discord. He gets romantically involved with one, while the other, rich but depressed, plays accordion tunes to a gaggle of pet turtles.
CAST: Johnny Depp, Jerry Lewis, Faye Dunaway, Lili Taylor ~ just for starts

Silent Tongue (1993)
IMDb synopsis:
1873, Indian Territory: Talbot Roe is going mad with grief over losing his Indian wife, Awbonnie. In an effort to save him, his father, Prescott, seeks to purchase the dead wife's sister, Velada, from the same traveling carnival he acquired Awbonnie. The girls' father, carnival master Eamon McCree, is willing to do business, but her stepbrother, Reeves, protests, putting an end to the negotiation. Desperate, Prescott kidnaps Velada and promises her the means to be rid of her father in return for comforting Talbot out of his obsession. In Talbot's madness, he guards his wife's corpse, preventing her from passing to the beyond. As a result, her ghost begins haunting and cursing everyone involved in the transaction of selling her as a wife.
CAST: River Phoenix, Richard Harris, Alan Bates, Dermot Mulroney, Tantoo Cardinal

EDIT: Yes! "Seducing Doctor Lewis" is one of those quirky little movies that come along occasionally.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:02 PM

2,683 posts, read 3,264,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystMoonstruck View Post
I'm curious about what you wrote about "Diary of a Mad Housewife" because I watched this on HBO long ago, have seen it aired on network TV, and watched it on a cable movie channel as recently as 2012. As far as I know, it's always been available for viewing though it's possible it's like huge numbers of movies that remain unavailable on the supposedly superior DVD, a format I don't think much of. If Carrie Snodgress, Richard Benjamin and Frank Langella star, it's the theatrical version unless they nipped it here and there for showing on TV. When I saw it on a local station, it seemed to be fairly intact from what I recall. I doubt that there's anything to do with not wanting an intelligent film about women because there are many of those. It definitely is a film worth viewing. I recall the exchange at the dinner table when her husband says to the children of something she said, "Isn't Mommy silly?" or something close to that. Richard Benjamin is generally a comedic actor, but he did a wonderful job of playing this subtly abusive man. This might have been the first time I encountered Langella; I know that I've been a fan of this actor for many decades.

"Our Mother's House" is an excellent film to suggest, as it definitely is an obscure one. Thanks to HBO in those early years, I was fortunate to get to see it a number of times. It's also been shown in recent years though I can't recall if it was on TCM or a cable movie channel. It certainly holds up, with wonderful performances by Pamela Franklin and Dirk Bogarde. I recall, in the Seventies, being delighted to see Mark Lester of "Oliver!" in this early role.

I have to admit that it's been ages since I saw the third film. I'd like to see it again, as I have only hazy memories. At college in the early Seventies, they used to show films for 50 cents in a room under the library (very cool architecture!). We were treated to "Marienbad", "Forbidden Games", "La Strada", "The Bicycle Thief" (as that copy was titled), and the occasional U.S. film, including "High Noon".

Good choices!

Now, I'll add a few:

The Nanny

The Nunny - YouTube
This is likeliest the subtlest work Bette Davis has done. Generally, I watch it along with "Bunny Lake Is Missing" and sometimes "Seance on a Wet Afternoon".

Before there was "Single White Female", there was 3 Women:

3 Women (1977) Trailer 1 - YouTube

Here's one of the few works in Esperanto: Incubus, starring William Shatner, with an ill-fated cast:

Incubus 1966 - YouTube
Many people connected with the film met unfortunate fates after it wrapped, giving rise to an urban legend that this was a cursed production:
@ Actor Milos Milos, the Serbian actor who played the Incubus, killed his girlfriend, Barbara Ann Thomason Rooney~the estranged fifth wife of Mickey Rooney~and himself in 1966, nine months before the film's premiere.
@ Actress Ann Atmar committed suicide 12 days before the film's premiere.
@ The daughter of actress Eloise Hardt was kidnapped and murdered.
@ William Shatner's third wife drowned in a pool.
@ Director Leslie Stevens and actress Allyson Ames divorced, and Stevens' production company, Daystar Productions, went bankrupt.
@ Also, partly because of its Esperanto dialogue and partly because of the scandal of one of the actors taking his own life and that of his girlfriend, they were unable to find any distribution for the film except in France, where it premiered in November 1966.

I'm not sure I believe in cursed productions, but this one certainly is connected to a lot of tragedy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incubus_(1966_film)
I definitely saw "Our Mother's House" on TCM!

The reason I would like to see "Diary" on DVD is because there are apparently two quite different versions of the film. There was a theatrical version with nudity, and a TV version without nudity but with some interesting differences (at least according to the message boards on IMDB). One of them has the psychiatrist upside-down.

IMDb :: Boards :: Diary of a Mad Housewife (1970) :: Why is this movie never on TV?

I do remember seeing this movie on New York television many years ago, but I would love a DVD to show both versions on one DVD.

The reason I mention "intelligent" films about women (or men for that matter), is that the worst trashy films are on DVD but intelligent films about women or even middle-aged men ("The Gig" with Wayne Rogers comes to mind -- I loved that film when I saw it back in the 1980s), are simply not released on DVD. Oh, but "Hot Dog: The Movie" is released on DVD.

For example, I loved Ashley Judd's first starring role, "Ruby in Paradise" (1993). It's been on VHS, but only released on DVD in Spain, for some reason. It's a quiet, lovely film about a young woman living in Florida, but there are no car chases, CGI, or shootings. It is totally understanding about women, although it was written and directed by a man, Victor Nunez. I love the fact that Ruby is not perfect, either, but a real person.

I had the VHS, but it broke after multiple viewings. I got so frustrated that I searched the Internet and found "alternate" methods of acquiring the film, so it's on my computer now.

Victor Nunez also wrote and directed an excellent film called "Ulee's Gold" (1997) with Peter Fonda in I believe his best performance.

I have also read about the tragedy of the film "Incubus"! I was always curious about a film made in Esperanto.

Curse of the “Incubus” - Salon.com

Here's another classic:

Carnival of Souls (1962)

Also:

My Name is Julia Ross (1945)

I also love to check out the Internet Archives! Some great films on there, and I love to look at the old educational films from the 1940s and 1950s. Some are a hoot! Check under the Prelinger Archives on the Internet Archives website.

Internet Archive: Digital Library of Free Books, Movies, Music & Wayback Machine

Old 02-07-2013, 11:31 PM

That's why I tend to avoid DVDs. My VCR still gets an active workout, and it plays tapes from the late Seventies to the present. So much for people saying that videotapes "go bad". The only problem I have is when it was taped on another machine and has trouble tracking. I've purchased a few DVDs, but I'm not happy with them.

I used to see "Diary" on Channel 11 out of St. Louis in the Seventies, and they often ran films uncut. I think no one checked them out beforehand, and there never seemed to be problems with it. USA also aired it, and that channel was noted for leaving a lot of possibly objectionable material intact, including the exploding head in "The Fury" and in "Scanners". I would like to see it again to refresh my memories.

I just left "Carnival of Souls" on another thread, one asking for atmospheric horror. It's increasing in popularity, perhaps because of these mentions we give it. I recently ID'd it for someone on the HubPage "What's That Movie?", in which someone's teacher had spoken about it. I recall that the first time I saw it very late one night, it was such a grainy copy that I thought it looked like that. Then, great copies started showing up, which definitely increased my enjoyment. The same thing happened with Francis Ford Coppola's "Dementia 13"; the grainy, dark version generally aired was replaced by a much clearer copy.

You list "My Name Is Julia Ross", which I have been fortunate enough to see several times. Have you seen the remake, "Dead of Winter" with Mary Steenburgen"? It's not as neatly done, but it's interesting to watch from time to time. It's been a long time since I saw the Judd film, which reminds me of another of her films, rather offbeat:

The Passion of Darkly Noon aka Darkly Noon

The Passion of Darkly Noon - Part one - YouTube ~ Part 1
starring Ashley Judd, Viggo Mortensen and Brendan Fraser

I found this Fritz Lang thriller interesting: A young bride learns that her husband collects rooms in which murders were committed.
Secret Beyond the Door...

Secret Beyond the Door (720P, 1947) - Full Movie - YouTube ~ complete film

That link might come in handy. My usual source on the Net is YouTube, which yields some great surprises. I've bookmarked so many movies that I'll probably never get to watch all of them.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:23 PM

2,683 posts, read 3,264,258 times
I do love the Internet Archives. You can watch some old movies and those great educational films, which are so funny today!

Download & Streaming : Moving Image Archive : Internet Archive

I love the Coronet Instructional Films. Of course you can also find them on YouTube.

Here's a classic: Good Table Manners (1951). It has a sort of Back to the Future theme, with the future Chuck teaching the current Chuck about good table manners (American-style, no time for European). They even wear matching moose sweaters!

Old 02-08-2013, 03:02 PM

14,072 posts, read 20,152,634 times
Boxing Helena

Old 02-08-2013, 05:06 PM

6,415 posts, read 10,041,137 times
Any film by Peter Greenaway or David Lynch.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:58 PM

9,457 posts, read 16,420,581 times
Oops, almost forgot this one:

Mars Attacks Funny Clips - YouTube

Old 02-08-2013, 09:15 PM

2,080 posts, read 2,010,609 times
Robert Altman's "The Player" about Hollywood.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:16 PM

Six-String Samurai (1998) - IMDb
Samurai Cowboy(1994) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108035/
Tommy (1975) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073812/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
Pink Floyd The Wall (1982) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084503/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
Crawlspace (TV 1972

ANIMATED:
Fantastic Planet (1973) - IMDb
Rock & Rule (1983) - IMDb
Gandahar (1988) - IMDb
Wizards (1977) - IMDb
Yellow Submarine (1968) - IMDb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or