Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 03:22 PM

521 posts, read 859,776 times

Advertisements

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 05:54 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,567,451 times
I'm surprised no one listed "Perfume: The Story of a Murderer." For some reason, this movie, although bizarre in nature...kept me glued to my seat and watched it through, not only once...but several times after the initial one.
I can't quite express why I like it...maybe due to Ben Whishaw's performance or that...the plot carries an artistically refreshing scent.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:01 PM

668 posts, read 993,989 times
Lars von Trier's movies can be difficult to watch at times for any number of reasons, but I loved his quirky take on office comedies with The Boss of it All. A pleasant surprise and one of my favorite movies the year it came out.

THE BOSS OF IT ALL - YouTube

Old 09-07-2011, 08:55 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,370,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondrood View Post
Yeah I know what you mean. With these type of movies, I tend to surf to Wikipedia after watching in order to reread the plotline again .
Good idea!

Old 09-08-2011, 01:37 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
Angel Heart
Harold & Khumar Escape to Guantanamo Bay
Bagdad Cafe
Gas, Food, Lodging
The Cook, the Thief, the Wife & Her Lover
Quest For Fire
Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?
Machete
Deliverence
The Bad Seed
The Passion
Eating Raoul
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original)

Old 09-08-2011, 03:16 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
I'm surprised no one listed "Perfume: The Story of a Murderer." For some reason, this movie, although bizarre in nature...kept me glued to my seat and watched it through, not only once...but several times after the initial one.
I can't quite express why I like it...maybe due to Ben Whishaw's performance or that...the plot carries an artistically refreshing scent.

I absolutely loved "Perfume" ( and the book) , though I didn't find it that weird ( apart from the bit towards the end in the public square).

Ben Wishaw was simply mesmerising and showed that acting is about more than words as he virtually had no dialogue. I think he is going to be one of the "greats". I just saw him the the BBC series "The Hour" and he was excellent there too.

The cinematography truly was exquisite for "Perfume" but I also found the story of this amoral creature ( not immoral as he had no concept of right and wrong and was more of an animal) absolutely fascinating. You almost end up feeling sorry for him, he is victim as well as murderer. Did you also find that it you could almost smell all the odours , so beautifully they were evoked on the screen from the fish stall of the market where Grenouille is born to the fields of flowers near Grasse ?

Old 09-08-2011, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I absolutely loved "Perfume" ( and the book) , though I didn't find it that weird ( apart from the bit towards the end in the public square).

Ben Wishaw was simply mesmerising and showed that acting is about more than words as he virtually had no dialogue. I think he is going to be one of the "greats". I just saw him the the BBC series "The Hour" and he was excellent there too.

The cinematography truly was exquisite for "Perfume" but I also found the story of this amoral creature ( not immoral as he had no concept of right and wrong and was more of an animal) absolutely fascinating. You almost end up feeling sorry for him, he is victim as well as murderer. Did you also find that it you could almost smell all the odours , so beautifully they were evoked on the screen from the fish stall of the market where Grenouille is born to the fields of flowers near Grasse ?
Ha! Your critique astounds me my friend. How could you so fluidly articulate what I had a hard time expressing, huh?
Wish I could add my 2 cents but you've already nailed it!!!

Old 09-08-2011, 04:14 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
Ha! Your critique astounds me my friend. How could you so fluidly articulate what I had a hard time expressing, huh?
Wish I could add my 2 cents but you've already nailed it!!!
Thanks I really did love this film, it made such a vivid impression on me that I went out and bought the book immediately ! I actually wrote this review for an Oxford website about it when it came out if you want the whole thing ! :

A stunning cinematic offering to delight and repel the senses .
Tom Tykwer has managed the seemingly impossible feat of turning olfactory perceptions into visual images of glorious beauty and horror.

The movie is a ravishingly dark and brutal tale of ammoral Jean-Baptiste Grenouille's relentless and single-minded pursuit of the distillation of women's essences to create the ultimate scent, as compensation for his own lack of Body odour (in his eyes this negates his very existence to himself and others). His unique olfactory powers being so great, his own perception of life is only comprehensible to him through scent.

One is hard pressed not to feel empathy towards a character so lacking in emotional and moral compasses and I could not help but see him as much of a victim as the young women he murders.
Ben Whishaw proves his astonishing acting talents in a role with very few lines. He imbues the movie with an intensely primal, animal,yet subtle screen presence.

A very Dark fairytale narrated to great effect by John Hurt, it is beautiful, savage and as close as you will ever get to "scratch and sniff" on a silver screen! Faultless acting all around, and in my opinion costumes and sets unmatched for their "realistic" qualities!18th century France has never felt or looked so repugnantly "stinky" and yet so ravishingly fragranced.

Grenouille's fate is fitting and the ridiculous crowd scene towards the end is only a means to emphasize that a sense of belonging and the power to love and be loved are more than just chemical reactions, rendering his existence unbearable and pointless. Love it or hate it, "Perfume" is a film like no other and I for one was utterly spell-bound.

Do not miss, a real "tour de force".

Old 09-08-2011, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Thanks I really did love this film, it made such a vivid impression on me that I went out and bought the book immediately ! I actually wrote this review for an Oxford website about it when it came out if you want the whole thing ! :

Tom Tykwer has managed the seemingly impossible feat of turning olfactory perceptions into visual images of glorious beauty and horror.

The movie is a ravishingly dark and brutal tale of ammoral Jean-Baptiste Grenouille's relentless and single-minded pursuit of the distillation of women's essences to create the ultimate scent, as compensation for his own lack of Body odour (in his eyes this negates his very existence to himself and others). His unique olfactory powers being so great, his own perception of life is only comprehensible to him through scent.

One is hard pressed not to feel empathy towards a character so lacking in emotional and moral compasses and I could not help but see him as much of a victim as the young women he murders.
Ben Whishaw proves his astonishing acting talents in a role with very few lines. He imbues the movie with an intensely primal, animal,yet subtle screen presence.

A very Dark fairytale narrated to great effect by John Hurt, it is beautiful, savage and as close as you will ever get to "scratch and sniff" on a silver screen! Faultless acting all around, and in my opinion costumes and sets unmatched for their "realistic" qualities!18th century France has never felt or looked so repugnantly "stinky" and yet so ravishingly fragranced.

Grenouille's fate is fitting and the ridiculous crowd scene towards the end is only a means to emphasize that a sense of belonging and the power to love and be loved are more than just chemical reactions, rendering his existence unbearable and pointless. Love it or hate it, "Perfume" is a film like no other and I for one was utterly spell-bound.

BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-08-2011, 05:01 AM

358 posts, read 470,685 times
Quote:

Wow!!! Mesmerized by your review I just watched the trailer. I MUST see this film
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies