U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 09:46 PM

6,258 posts, read 10,336,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Why does everyone keep calling it "The Unforgiven"? If you're referring to the recent western with Clint Eastwood and Morgan Freeman, the title is Unforgiven.
Not everyone, I was the only idiot who used "The".
Please the forgive me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 12:54 PM

18,100 posts, read 16,642,288 times
Tie between The Outlaw Josey Wales and Dances with Wolves.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:59 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,221,564 times
I'm late to the party so forgive me if it has been mentioned. And I'm not sure if it qualifies as a western, but I watch "Last of the Mohicans" almost every darn time it comes on. Wes Studi is an awesome villain!

For a traditional western, I'd vote for "Tombstone", the most quotable western ever made.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:06 AM

14,693 posts, read 22,479,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Why does everyone keep calling it "The Unforgiven"? If you're referring to the recent western with Clint Eastwood and Morgan Freeman, the title is Unforgiven.
Haha, I know what it is like to get annoyed by such little things. I had to go back to look to make sure I didn't call it "The Unforgiven".

Old 09-12-2011, 09:34 PM

4,033 posts, read 8,255,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Haha, I know what it is like to get annoyed by such little things. I had to go back to look to make sure I didn't call it "The Unforgiven".
Also, b/c there is a western [film] titled The Unforgiven (1960) with Audrey Hepburn and Burt Lancaster.

But, yes, I am a stickler for titles, especially re: films that I like

Old 09-13-2011, 09:18 AM

12,904 posts, read 18,462,351 times
Another vote for Unforgiven!

Old 09-14-2011, 11:22 AM

22,263 posts, read 5,510,378 times
I still think The Searchers is the greatest western ever made, but Clint Eastwood must get
honourable mention for some of his westerns. The Outlaw Josey Wales, Forgiven and of
course The Good the Bad and the Ugly. I can still remember when I first saw that film in a
cinema in 1968. The acting, the story, and of course the fantastic music. I remember coming
out of the cinema as a kid, and running down the street avoiding bits of ice on the floor that
winter. It was the begining of a great movie career, and many fantastic movies he made as
actor and director - thanks Clint!!

Old 09-15-2011, 05:16 PM

3,074 posts, read 3,977,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I still think The Searchers is the greatest western ever made, but Clint Eastwood must get
honourable mention for some of his westerns. The Outlaw Josey Wales, Forgiven and of
course The Good the Bad and the Ugly. I can still remember when I first saw that film in a
cinema in 1968. The acting, the story, and of course the fantastic music. I remember coming
out of the cinema as a kid, and running down the street avoiding bits of ice on the floor that
winter. It was the begining of a great movie career, and many fantastic movies he made as
actor and director - thanks Clint!!
Did you know the story about his editing role in the first movie "A Fistfull of Dollars" ? Apparently when the Itallians hired him he began reading the script and started tearing out pages and pages of dialogue. He told them all the "Talk" would severely detract from the uniqueness of the film and, of course, the rest is history thanks to his early directorial genius (even thouigh he wasn't the director."

Old 09-16-2011, 09:39 PM

4,896 posts, read 5,869,986 times
Haven't even read the thread but I am a huge western fan......so, am looking forward to this with much anticipation. I have to tell you right off, I love John Wayne westerns, Joel McCrea, Jimmy Stewart, Clint Eastwood, Hank Fonda, especially Randolph Scott( I loved that soft southern drawl)

Old 09-16-2011, 09:41 PM

4,896 posts, read 5,869,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Aren't so many of these old westerns so much more enjoyable to watch now that you can see them in widescreen on dvd or in high definition if you have it?
I remember watching movies like The Good the Bad and the Ugly or The Outlaw Josey Wales or The War Wagon first on broadcast TV, all chopped up between commercials and on a 16 by 9 TV screen. Now you can watch these great old movies the way they were meant to be seen and I am so impressed by how much I enjoy watching them now.
I actually found the Good the Bad and Ugly to be confusing partly because the way they chopped it up for TV but not so any more.
thank you. My thoughts exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or