Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 10:59 PM

8,311 posts, read 13,444,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Your making an accusation that in those pictures she is only pretty because of make-up and judging her based on a movie role? Do you understand how ridiculous that is?

You do realize that she is likely wearing 10x more makeup in that movie than she is in those pictures are what she looks like on a day-to-day basis?

That girl is actually very beautiful and going to be a knock out as she gets into her adult years.
What is more ridiculous is, you taking my silly post seriously enough to get all worked up over it and then giving me a snotty response.

Also, stop making accusations that I was making accusations, mmmmkay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 08:02 PM

410 posts, read 491,769 times
Awesome movie. An art house "action" flick with an endearing protagonist and entrancing visuals.

As for the actress' looks, she's grown into her face and she's quite pretty when she's dolled up (as with most non-Frankenstein looking women) but she's rather plain without makeup. If you didn't know who she was, or did not recognize her, she'd be another Irish girl walking in Dublin.

Old 01-23-2019, 07:23 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,263,704 times
Yes, this movie is now 8 years old, but I just watched it. I'm old.

I liked it a lot, though I admit I enjoyed the style more than the substance. Absolutely gorgeous photography. Beautiful colors in this movie, from the stark white and dark greens of the snowy forest to the purples and golds of the twilight cities. It's a truly beautiful movie. Even the scenes of ugly city neighborhoods are beautiful.

The story ... is odd. On the surface it's an action/adventure espionage movie with heavy science fiction elements. But really, that's just the setting. At it's heart, it's a fairy tale, if a very dark one, and succeeds at that admirably. But if you approach it as strictly a spy thriller, you may be disappointed, since there many scenes in this movie that on the surface make no sense at all. It's really European cinema in that respect.

Saoirse Ronan is brilliant in the movie. She is quickly becoming one of the must-see actresses for me.

There is one scene late in the movie that almost drove me mad. I went back and watched it three times. I even turned on the director commentary to see if he explained it. He didn't. I think it was just a very blatant, very obvious error that no one caught.

FYI: Amazon.com is turning this into a series. I know nothing about it other than the brief teaser I saw the other night. I'll definitely watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp6myRLnhAs

Old 01-24-2019, 05:25 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,250,185 times
I don't get the fascination with this movie, and I really don't want to know the interest in the (incredibly young at the time) lead actress. There was an early scene with Eric Bana (who's unfortunately disappeared after starring in a number of great movies), which is possibly the most unintentionally hilarious "action scene" I've ever witnessed.
2011 was a strange year where smaller movies I thought had terrible craftmanship developed a popular following.

The movie reminded me of a similar, higher quality movie, Push (2009).

Old 01-24-2019, 05:53 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,913,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James1202 View Post
Same as Lost In Translation w/ Bill Murray directed by Sofia Coppola...yes, daughter of Francis Ford Coppola. The movie was a critical success...sucked.
Thank you, I never understood the appeal of that movie.

Old 01-25-2019, 02:08 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,069,372 times
I actually thought it was a cool spy action movie too. I mean sure it's got techno music, and back when I saw it with my friends they said the music ruined it. Techno is usually not my thing but I didn't mind it, and the filmmakers made it work for them.

I also feel that the villain in the movie is a much better villain than we usually get in action movies. The action is also well shot and edited for the era of shaky cam and quick cuts when it came out. So I liked it.

Old 01-25-2019, 05:45 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,330,509 times
I absolutely loved this movie, and I've seen it a few times. Saoirse Ronan is an incredible actress and very beautiful. Anyone that says she's ugly is ignorant, blind or both. I personally thought the sound track was amazing, and it sounds great on a good home theater setup.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I actually thought it was a cool spy action movie too. I mean sure it's got techno music, and back when I saw it with my friends they said the music ruined it. Techno is usually not my thing but I didn't mind it, and the filmmakers made it work for them.
The whole movie had a German cinema feel to it, and the Germans do love their techno music.

Quote:
I also feel that the villain in the movie is a much better villain than we usually get in action movies.
I actually thought the villain and her henchmen were the weakest part of the whole story. Her motivations still aren't clear to me.

Quote:
The action is also well shot and edited for the era of shaky cam and quick cuts when it came out. So I liked it.
Yup. Ditto.

Old 01-26-2019, 01:19 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,069,372 times
The motivations aren't exactly clear, but I guess I like her as a mysterious villain who does not have logical motivations, like Hannibal Lecter or something like that. As for the henchman, I just thought they were risking themselves for the money, like most henchmen for hire do.

Old 01-26-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
The motivations aren't exactly clear, but I guess I like her as a mysterious villain who does not have logical motivations, like Hannibal Lecter or something like that.
Hannibal Lecter was a gentle, decent man trapped inside the brain of a madman.

The villain in Hanna made no sense to me at all. Why kill all the experiments? And why do it in such an inept fashion as hiding behind a billboard and shooting at a moving vehicle with a pistol? Okay, so Hanna survived. Shouldn't the wicked witch be thrilled? The experiment worked. So why is she trying so desperately to kill Hanna and her dad? And why is she so inept at it???

Quote:
As for the henchman, I just thought they were risking themselves for the money, like most henchmen for hire do.
Why does a ruthless CIA officer forego using all the trained soldiers and CIA agents in favor of three Eurotrash thugs who are so hilariously bad at their job?

Speaking of which, after Hanna is captured, she kills soldier after soldier --- all of whom are carrying guns --- and escapes a top secret CIA facility with ease. Hanna could give Sarah Connor and Sidney Bristow lessons in bad-assness. But through the rest of the movie, every time a pudgy German guy in a silly sweat suit appears --- with no gun --- she flees in terror. Why???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies