U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 06:58 PM

3,790 posts, read 7,567,391 times

Advertisements

I do believe Netflix may have peaked. They lost 800K subscribers in the 3Q. BTW...their streaming selection sucks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 08:44 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,174,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
BTW...their streaming selection sucks!
I sort of agree but I don't know of any better selection so I will stick with them, for now.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:00 AM

16,858 posts, read 51,363,981 times
This might be the time to buy the stock. The market has been reacting to the flash news, and not taking into account the growth of the company outside of the U.S. market.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:09 AM

3,287 posts, read 4,941,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Not that much slower. It takes around 3-4 days to receive a movie currently. Under Netlix it is was a flat 3 days.

You take it what you will but even Reed Hastings, the guy at the top, realizes it is a sinking ship. He is selling shares of stock like its on fire, further killing the stock prices. This will be a case study for years to come on how to tank a top business.

Cockiness is a b*tch, isn't it...
Given today's corporate culture of rewarding failure, I'd say this guy is due for a huge bonus any day now. Plus an enormous golden parachute if he gets fired or resigns. And then he'll be hired to run some other big business because of his "track record".

Old 10-25-2011, 11:12 AM

667 posts, read 1,438,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
This might be the time to buy the stock. The market has been reacting to the flash news, and not taking into account the growth of the company outside of the U.S. market.
the market is simply reacting to a continued loss of subscribers and poor leadership from a man with an ego beyond compare. These are all tangible facts not 'flash news'. I wouldn't touch this stock until the Netflix board starts by firing Reed Hastings, who has become bigger than the brand.

Secondly, it's a matter of (short)time when folks like Vudu(Walmart), Amazon and Hulu (NBC,FOX,ABC) along with folks like Redbox launch a similar or better streaming structure than Netflix. Netflix does do DVD mail service very well but quite simply the larger market share will move toward the streaming side of the business in the next couple of years and make the DVD business an even bigger commoditized model.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:29 PM

12,256 posts, read 15,796,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I do believe Netflix may have peaked. They lost 800K subscribers in the 3Q. BTW...their streaming selection sucks!
I feel the same way about their selection. I signed up last month for a free trial offer and I watched Tron, G.I Joe & Star Trek; all relatively new movies that I hadn't seen but no I've noticed that the majority of the movies are at least 5 years old or weird low budget films.

Are the competitors any better w/ their selection?

Old 10-25-2011, 01:33 PM

7,843 posts, read 11,150,368 times
These CEO's just drive my blood pressure through the roof. What an a**.
I started a free trial of Amazon Prime to see what the Instant video is like. Not a fan really. On the one hand they have Into the Wild for 'rent' for 2.99 which seems reasonable and Netflix only has it for DVD mail. On the other they charge almost 2.00 can't remember the exact price) to watch 1 episode of something like Sex and the City which is sort of crazy. Of course Netflix doesn't stream it at all. And 11.99 for Country Strong streaming seems high. Maybe 6.00 would be ok.
This is from a sampling of searches.
If you want or have Amazon Prime already for the shipping its nice to have those Instant Video options but paying 80.00 a year because you want just the Instant Video I doubt it.
I still have Netflex streaming for me and DVD's for my mother but am keeping an eye on options. Streaming is what its about for me. My 88 yr old mother doesn't have a computer or internet though she does have a DISH with a basic package. For the elderly, the housebound streaming would be so cool, but they often don't have the technology so I have her on 3 DVD's unlimited and I'm running out of things to put in her que

Old 10-25-2011, 08:10 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,174,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
or weird low budget films.
?
No kidding. Many of those movies didn't go straight to dvd. They went straight to streaming. A lot of truly awful movies in their library and now that Starz is leaving in a few months it will get even worse unless Netflix comes up with a new strategy.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:41 PM

6,005 posts, read 13,185,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
No kidding. Many of those movies didn't go straight to dvd. They went straight to streaming. A lot of truly awful movies in their library and now that Starz is leaving in a few months it will get even worse unless Netflix comes up with a new strategy.
Netflix streaming has become the #1 destination for "mockbusters". There's one main production company out there making horrific knock-offs of Hollywood movies w/ names similar enough to the originals to throw off less savvy searchers (e.g., Paranomal Entity, Transmorphers, Battle of Los Angeles) and they seem to only e on Netflix streaming. Honestly, had the streaming and DVD service split, I would have dumped the streaming service and stuck w/ the DVD by mail service. the streaming service just bites 8 times out of 10 (it's okay now for watching cheesy horror flicks and it comes in handy when babysitting and looking for bland kiddie stuff)

Old 11-02-2011, 11:34 AM

696 posts, read 1,084,317 times
Streaming has lots of decent foreign / indy movies so it is good value for those of us who are into those movies! I have lost count of the excellent foreign movies (Scandinavian, French, Indian, African, Middle Eastern, Latin American etc.) I have seen on Netflix in the last year alone that otherwise I wouldn't have known about, and I am grateful to Netflix for that, money well spent! However it is true streaming has a lot of B, C and F grade movies as well !! Just got to watch the stars on those from existing viewers and do some research online for a few seconds before wasting your time on a crap movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies