U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2011, 06:03 AM

28,008 posts, read 19,694,805 times

Advertisements

Netflix stock plunges after cutting subscriber outlook - Sep. 15, 2011

Shame on the studios for jacking up their prices like this.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 03:34 PM

16,886 posts, read 51,443,250 times
LOL! Business as usual for the studios. Netflix is down more today.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:55 AM

5,079 posts, read 5,427,857 times
Wow, that is a big drop.

Anyone think that this may be a good time to buy???

Old 09-17-2011, 10:38 AM

16,886 posts, read 51,443,250 times
Not yet. I have a feeling the Dish/Blockbuster combo has some upcoming stuff that will pound it more. In my free trail of Blockbuster by mail, they have some stuff Netflix doesn't. Their mail delivery socks in comparison to Netflix, but if they figure a way to satellite stream on demand through the Dish system, it could be a game changer.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:02 AM

2,075 posts, read 1,776,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Not yet. I have a feeling the Dish/Blockbuster combo has some upcoming stuff that will pound it more. In my free trail of Blockbuster by mail, they have some stuff Netflix doesn't. Their mail delivery socks in comparison to Netflix, but if they figure a way to satellite stream on demand through the Dish system, it could be a game changer.
You sold me. Im down on netflicks since they raised
thier price per month.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:54 AM

13,374 posts, read 40,197,838 times
I received an apologetic email from Reed Hastings today.

I think he was trying to placate both stockholders and customers.

They plan to divide Netflix into two entities, one for streaming and Quikster (what an awful name) for dvds.

Am I the only one who is not crazy about streaming, and dreads having it become the only future choice when viewing movies? I like the picture quality of blu-ray and the special features on dvds.

I understand that the USPS is losing money and may quit delivering on Saturdays. I also understand that Netflix is trying to turn a profit/stay afloat.

I do appreciate all of the tv shows that streaming offers: Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Arrested Development etc etc.

I have a feeling that Netflix may sell its Quikster dvd service? Dunno.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:57 AM

20,979 posts, read 15,638,830 times
Maybe they can donate to obama and get a bailout?

Old 09-19-2011, 05:58 AM

28,008 posts, read 19,694,805 times
I really like the streaming option. We don't even have cable anymore because it seemed like overkill.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:07 PM

6,007 posts, read 13,197,732 times
I wish people would stop acting so butt hurt about this netflix thing. Who on earth enters into a new service and expects prices to remain static forever? they messed up, sure, but why do people freak out when companies raise prices? nothing is static and companies do exist to make a profit and appease stockholders. evaluate the cost of the product with the value and if you find the value lacking, bow out- it's all voluntary after all.

of course, one would expect an increase of service w/ the price increase, but people need to realize that Netflix doesn't own anything it rents out or stream. when the people you're getting content from raises their prices from around $100 mil to almost 2 billion, the price for the service will have to go up.

frankly, I'm more pi$$ed off at studios who are trying to cash in on the popularity of streaming. they will keep raising the price for providers to stream their content and services like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon will be the "bad guys" forced to increase their prices to keep the service going

Old 09-19-2011, 01:53 PM

13,374 posts, read 40,197,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
I wish people would stop acting so butt hurt about this netflix thing
Haha, yes it is definitely a "first world" problem. See the snippet below.

But for me, the picture quality of streaming has been hit or miss, and frankly I really like blu ray dvds.
Now my husband is pestering me to quit Netflix, but I'm not ready to give up on it yet.

I understand now that Netflix probably always intended to just be streaming.
I just wish the quality would improve before they jack up the prices.
I'm speaking less about content--more about picture quality.
Perhaps they will sell off Quikster.
While Quikster (which Hastings said will be up in a few weeks) will be run as a subsidiary of Netflix, it will not share user information with Netflix, which means if youíre a Netflix streaming subscriber and you want to get a title that Netflix doesnít yet carry as a streaming title (which will probably happen frequently, given the fact that itís struggling to hang onto content partners), youíll have to create a separate account at Qwikster.com, re-enter your credit card information, and so on. Also, if you review a movie on one site, your review will not show up on the other site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies