U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 08:38 PM

6,256 posts, read 10,328,754 times

Advertisements

and Includes Only the Feature Film. Own it on Blue-Ray or DVD to biew these...".
I am seeing more and more movies with this message when I am renting them (mainly) from RedBox, wtf is up with this new low-ball trick?
Am I the only one extremely irritated with this nonsense?
RedBox is doing this or is it the certain movie distributors?
Why do they even include the bonus features on the menu if they were stripped away?

Regardless, this is a very cheap move to promote sales and I think RedBox and other that have these types of movies in their inventory should explicitly state this information so renters know. Perhaps if enough people whine about this, those behind it will give up this type of cheap tricks.

Anyone else who feel the same way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 09:56 PM

16,845 posts, read 51,301,408 times
At a buck, be thankful they aren't adding ads yet. They will, mark my words.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:19 PM

6,005 posts, read 13,178,004 times
funny, this subject casually came up in one of my classes. IMO, "Special/Bonus Features" may became a thing of the past. There are a lot of issues impacting it:

-services like Redbox which will only stock the film. A lot of the time, the bonus features are included on a separate disk. People are highly unlikely to pay $1 for the bonus features disk and Redbox isn't going to waste space stocking it.

-at some point a while back, studios realized that people will pay more for bonus features and "previously unreleased footage". hence all the special versions of movies that come out. They may deem it valuable enough to strip it from a regular DVD and repackage it into a "special edition" version to release later on (go on Amazon and see how many different versions of Star Wars are available. it's bad when they need to include a table to compare the different release of these movies)

-I think people will just stop caring about these. a lot of people haven't jumped aboard the blu-ray train (it seems like the only people I know who have blu-rays have PS3s), and blu-ray tends to feature far more bonus features. there's also the fact that movies that are viewed on demand or via streaming lack this content. people seems to have accepted this and the people that really want this content will most likely have to buy it

I've gotten used to movies I get via Redbox or even via Netflix not having bonus features on the same disk as the movie. if I really want them, I either add the bonus disk to my Netflix queue or just buy the movie

Old 09-26-2011, 09:34 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,687,909 times
I was going to say the same thing. You're renting a movie for only $1, why expect the Bonus Features. I for one actually rarely watch Bonus Features unless it's one of my favorite movies and in that case I will actually go and buy the movie. If you want to pay more than the $1, you'll need to get your rentals from Netflix and rent both the movie and the bonus disc.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:39 AM

8 posts, read 9,195 times
I never watch bonus features. In fact, I get super annoyed when I'm renting a series on DVD thru say Netflix & the last disc is nothing but bonus features, no new episodes. I need to remember to look at the synopsis of each of the discs in a series so I don't waste my time waiting for a bonus disc I'll never watch.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:48 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,858,778 times
its not only Redbox. Blockbuster has it too. And from what I am guessing, its a new trend by the movie companies to cash in by "teasing" people to buy the movies outright.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:47 PM

6,256 posts, read 10,328,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird2007 View Post
its not only Redbox. Blockbuster has it too. And from what I am guessing, its a new trend by the movie companies to cash in by "teasing" people to buy the movies outright.
To all those who say "you are only paying $1, be glad with that...blah blah" my argument stands, when people make no fuss, companies will take more advantage but even if I agreed with you for a second, then I still point out:
Why include the "special features" on the menu of the movie if it is not included?
That "teaser" tactic is extremely annoying. Here is another very annoying thing some of the studios have been doing EVEN with the movies you purchase:
Absolutely NO WAY to fast forward or skip the previews! You have to wait and watch whatever announcements and previews they stuffed in the DVD, now that is BS I don't care what anyone says.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:28 AM

16,845 posts, read 51,301,408 times
Generally, hitting menu twice on your remote will let you skip the previews. As for speaking up, money speaks louder than people. Remember the days of going to the movies and having curtains that opened at the beginning of the movie? The advertising revenue was just too much for that to survive.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:52 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,552,942 times
Its generally one of the only ways to prevent people from keeping the movie.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:46 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,687,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird2007 View Post
No - it's also because it's less expensive. Movie Companies charge hefty fees for companies that rent like Netflix, Redbox and Blockbuster. I'm sure it's more cost effective to rent out the films without the bonus materials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or