U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 09:19 AM

2,686 posts, read 3,587,195 times

Advertisements

Meh. Movies to me have always been cheese, I'm going there to be entertained and distracted for a few hours. I mean, something like Indiana Jones or Star Wars is clearly campy but they're classics becuase IMHO people at that time kept things in prespective and let themselves be amused. If I want something informative or with gravitas I read a book or go to Broadway.

Frankly, action movies are waaaaaay better than say in the 80s. I want realistic violence and more gritty/rougher protagonists. Not flash and over-the-top gore that's more silly than thrilling. Hurt Locker is more my style than say The A-Team. We also forget there is a much deeper and more vibrant Indie scene now than 20 years ago. Rom Coms have always been trash ('cept when Harry met Sally, that was genius) as has comedy (Come on, do you really think Risky Buisness was in any way groundbreaking?). It's all about shutting off and allowing yourself to be swallowed up in the story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 05:33 PM

8,088 posts, read 7,349,356 times
Appears to me that interesting original films peaked in the mid-late 1990s. There were regular offerings of action and drama and the necessary leads to drive them that are scarce today. One could select from Van Damme, Segall, Arnold, Willis, Stallone for their action genre and still have Freeman, Costner, Duvall, DeNiro, Connery, etc for drama.

I find the need to make today's young males action heroes a bit odd as they are known for their romantic comedies or chick flick credentials. I mean Ryan Reynolds was passable in Safe House but he really needed Denzel Washington to hold the film together. Same with Colin Farrell who had no screen presence compared to Arnold in Total Recall. I think Farrell peaked with TigerLand.

Then there is the need to redo originals which tend to be stale because an original idea is always fresh. At least follow Tarantino and transfer the plot line to a different setting so it appears new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or