U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-28-2011, 10:26 PM
 
15,924 posts, read 16,847,914 times
Reputation: 7619

Advertisements

After watching Turner Movie Classics for a while now when I see a modern movie the lack of acting abilities in these new movies is very noticeable.

And the action movies? they have gone from casts of thousands to casts of 20, the remaining thousands are cartoon characters (or called CGI graphics so it sounds more adult) and the characters perform feats even Superman would have problems with.

Good old movies:

~ Dances with wolves
~ Blood Alley
~ The African Queen
~ Father Goose
~ The Pride and The Passion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-29-2011, 06:37 AM
 
Location: Texas
42,203 posts, read 49,740,662 times
Reputation: 66975
When you say that they make these movies because that is what people want, we have a difficult 'chicken and egg' situation.

If that is all they have to watch, they will go see that. Then it seems like that is what they want to watch. Etc, etc. Hollywood has just gotten lazy and people don't have THAT many more choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2011, 11:52 AM
 
Location: Rochester, N.Y
2,725 posts, read 3,960,411 times
Reputation: 4650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Yes, BUT...

I wonder how much of a movie buff you are if you only - as your post implies - rent movies for home. Unless of course you live in a small town with no theaters.

While I agree that there is an enormous amount of crap, it often seems to be that this complaint is made by people who make no effort to see the really good movies that come out. An easy instance was Frozen River, which was great, but seen by very few people. Right now, The Guard is great, but not seen by many people.

But in the final analysis, the crap prevails because it's what people want. If you look at the biggest grossing movies (which never used to be part of the daily news until lately), they tend to mostly be crap. If people went to see the better movies, then better movies would be made.

Actually fyi, I go to atleast one movie a week. Atleast I was before there was about a three month period when there was nothing remtoely interesting. I go with my girlfriend so that we both have to want to see something. Please don't question the fact that I am a movie bluff. I have seen more movies than anyone I know. I used to work a nightshift in a childrens home for two years. All you really could do was watch t.v. or movies. I would watch up to five movies a night.

And I agree with Stan, it isn't what people want. If that is all that you have to choose from, than that is all you have to choose from. I've gone to many movies this and last year that seemed mediocre but everything looked mediocre. Plus attendance at movies this decade is at an all time low. Don't count from what movies make, because movies cost more than twice what they did twenty years ago. Your idea of, "if people went to see better movies, then better movies would be made", is absolutely not true. There have been numerous articles in Time, Newsweek, entertainment etc on this very subject. In one they used the movie, "kings Speach" as an example of an intelligent movie that was heralded and people did go see it. I think the problem stems from greed. They know that kids parents (little kids who watch cartoons) need something to do with their kids so they make a million little kids movies. They're big moneymakers.

The other part, is that America is dumbed down. I believe we are at an age' where we want everything now. No patience. Many people don't want to wait through some lags to get to the point or best parts. We have to constantly throw action at the viewer non stop to get their attention. This is just the world we live in today. I actually watch alot of old movies from the fifties and sixties. But that's just me. I've seen everything there is to see in the last thirty years so now I've branched out. I watch alot of sub titled movies too, but I have found that there are subtleties and slight nuances that you just don't get. Mainly because you are focusing on reading the movie. At the same rate, by reading the film, you don't miss much. However, I have just rented a movie called Red. A subtitled film and their were times in the movie where the main character was looking down at a newspaper (which was not subtitled) and that was information that was important that I could not obtain.

Either or, it's not just my opinon. The general consensus throughout the industry with directors and actors and the like is that there is too much crap being produced. As Ron Howard very recently said, "A movie can have all the action in the world, but if it has no plot I will be bored to death..I tend to agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2011, 12:00 PM
 
Location: Lakewood OH
20,862 posts, read 22,433,523 times
Reputation: 32599
Quote:
As Ron Howard very recently said, "A movie can have all the action in the world, but if it has no plot I will be bored to death..I tend to agree.
I love this comment because I have a tendency to be bored by action scenes. I sit there waiting for the movie to continue telling me a story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2011, 02:29 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times
Reputation: 35864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post

But in the final analysis, the crap prevails because it's what people want. .
Pretty close.

The crap prevails because it's what people ACCEPT. Just like music and new cars and political candidates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2011, 01:14 AM
 
16,438 posts, read 18,510,024 times
Reputation: 9490
I have been watching lots of films from the 30's, 40's and 50's lately. I even watch some silent classics when no one else is around to complain about it. "Metropolis" was one recently; very interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2011, 12:02 PM
 
Location: 10110001010110100
6,256 posts, read 10,328,754 times
Reputation: 5407
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Pretty close.

The crap prevails because it's what people ACCEPT. Just like music and new cars and political candidates.
I totally agree, people are watching because they need the entertainment but they are not happy with the selection given. Entertainment/Movie industry is running things like a monarchy if you ask me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I have been watching lots of films from the 30's, 40's and 50's lately. I even watch some silent classics when no one else is around to complain about it. "Metropolis" was one recently; very interesting.
Same here, 99% of the movies I watch are from 70s to late 90s. I am inclined to re-watch an old movie I like than take a chance on a new release with mix or no reviews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2011, 06:21 PM
 
Location: Lakewood OH
20,862 posts, read 22,433,523 times
Reputation: 32599
I wonder if movie attendance is down these days. Does anyone know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2011, 06:30 PM
 
Location: Ohio
3,441 posts, read 4,983,184 times
Reputation: 2656
There are way too many remakes, they have no new ideas so they redo a movie from years ago, very few have the success that Titanic did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2011, 07:52 PM
 
4,803 posts, read 10,163,085 times
Reputation: 8245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
There are way too many remakes, they have no new ideas so they redo a movie from years ago, very few have the success that Titanic did.
And now they are making remakes of remakes. There is yet another version of The Thing coming out soon. This will be the third version.
Movies I like tell a good story. That is the basic building block of a good movie. A good script that tells a good interesting story.
I read a fair number of books, detective novels, sci-fi, etc and wonder...why isn't this being made into a movie? And yet every week Hollywood releases 2 or 3 movies I usually have no interest in seeing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top