U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 12:23 AM

2,075 posts, read 1,774,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
And now they are making remakes of remakes. There is yet another version of The Thing coming out soon. This will be the third version.
Movies I like tell a good story. That is the basic building block of a good movie. A good script that tells a good interesting story.
I read a fair number of books, detective novels, sci-fi, etc and wonder...why isn't this being made into a movie? And yet every week Hollywood releases 2 or 3 movies I usually have no interest in seeing.
Tell me about it. War of the Worlds has been done
4 times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 10:06 AM

1,817 posts, read 2,681,505 times
I go to the movies maybe twice a year - I have some discount passes that have gone unused forever because I just can't find anything worth the time to see. Occasionally I will Netflix a newer movie and always end up feeling like I just threw 2 hrs. of my life away.

There are still a few interesting filmmakers out there - Darren Aronofsky, David Fincher, The Coen Brothers (although I don't love them like some do). Otherwise I stick to documentaries for newer stuff and older movies...especially from the 70s.

IMO, it's not worth getting upset about all the remakes, stupid romcoms, insipid action movies...Hollywood isn't going to change, so I just ignore all of it. The best writing and quality entertainment nowadays is on cable tv - Breaking Bad, many of the HBO series. I prefer the series format as well for character development and long story arcs. Of course, tv has just as much crap as the movie theater, but like anything else in life, it pays to be discerning.

Old 10-01-2011, 02:53 PM

7,022 posts, read 5,774,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I wonder if movie attendance is down these days. Does anyone know?
Movie attendance has been going down for years. That's why movie prices have gone up. Hollywood honchos love to brag about record-breaking profits but the fact is- less people have seen "Avatar" than they did "Gone with the Wind" or "Star Wars".

Old 10-01-2011, 05:28 PM

16,851 posts, read 51,335,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwebbster View Post
Tell me about it. War of the Worlds has been done
4 times.
Has Robot Chicken done it yet?

Old 10-01-2011, 05:35 PM

42,565 posts, read 42,426,763 times
Speaking of crap. "Season of the Witch" sucked ass. I like Nicholas Cage, however I hear he forgot to pay his taxes or something so he is broke. No wonder he made a shatty movie.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:33 AM

4,748 posts, read 7,539,821 times
I agree with Texas2008 and the 90% are crap opinion, but I'll take it a step further. Only about 1% are worth watching at all.

I blame it on the need to keep cranking em' out to meet the demand. Not enough time to come up with something of quality and creativity. Just spit 'em out and cash in. Plus, with the general population thinking Dancing with the Stars is quality entertainment, why bother spending time thinking outside the box?

The shamelss copycatting has gotten to be laughable. My son and I crack up looking at the covers on the wall of new releases - almost every one has some star (or non-star) holding a gun in it, a vampire theme, or yet another depiction of the Statue of Liberty in peril...

And please spare me the cutesey-wootsey romantic comedies, what barf. Adam Sandler and others are really selling out these days.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:46 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,700,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
Let me clarify.

First and foremost I am a big movie buff. So I've seen most everything at least worth seeing. I always go to the movie store on tuesday when the new releases come out, and I gotta say, that I am highly dissapointed with the movie business in the last few years.

For one the quality of movies suck. What is the deal with constant remakes? With the exception of a few, most are hard to take. They are rarely bareable to watch simply because for many of us they don't come close to the original and for thoses who have seen the original it is hard to not constantly compare them while viewing.

Enough of the remakes already.

Start taking some of those good movies scripts off the shelves and get some intelligent thought provoking movies out there.

It seems to me like the movies of the eighties and nineties where much better. More plot to them and just better in almost all areas.

I personally can't take most of the crappy action movies being pumped out left and right. It feels like their all the same. I'm not to into big budget movies. You can spend all the money in the world on special effects, but if the movie lacks an adequate plot then I will be be bored to death.

And last but not least, enough of all of these cheasy cheaply made, awfully plotted horror movies. My god when does it end? I've never seen so many stupid rediculous horror movies being pumped out in the last decade than at any other time.

I take back the last but not least, because darn it, I'm on a roll.

Hollywood--wake up. Enough cartoon or kid movies. I get it, they are moneymakers. But when half the movies to view at any given mall is for a ten year old or younger you are losing your mature audience.

Stop dumbing down movies. Most of us don't need or want a cheesy car chase in a movie. Start putting out intelligent movies. Take a risk. Isn't that what hollywood is about? I think that they cater to much to knuckleheads and kids. If you put intelligent movies out there adults will come.

I truly think that hollywood is losing its mojo as far as movie producing. The product is not the same as yesteryear and the results are showing by attendance in theatres.

As someone who loves movies, please stop putting out this regurgitated crap and cheesy remakes. Give some of us Americans a little confidence that if you make a good film we will notice and come see.

rant over.

Thanks for listening.

smp
Yes I agree - 90 percent is bland generic crap that is just copied where they are trying to make more money. They are looking for a formula to follow to guarantee as many viewers as possible

For example when lost was popular, suddenly all these Lost Clones filmed in the same style started popping, with confusing story lines, diverse characters and music similiar to lost - this what happens.

For example the new planet of apes film was good - a few decent well thought out films that are crowded out by generic, bland, tedious and contrived story lines.

I could say the same about reading fiction - its all too contrived to take seriously.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:11 PM

4,748 posts, read 7,539,821 times
I also notice that due to the fact that many of us are passing up the mainstream fare and seeking out smaller, independant films, there are a lot of junk movies trying to pass themselves off as movies of this genre. They will slap a logo similar to the Sundance Film Festival logo, but if you look closely, it's mentioned as "Winner at..." some obscure film festival you never heard of!

Old 10-03-2011, 08:21 AM

2,725 posts, read 3,963,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
I also notice that due to the fact that many of us are passing up the mainstream fare and seeking out smaller, independant films, there are a lot of junk movies trying to pass themselves off as movies of this genre. They will slap a logo similar to the Sundance Film Festival logo, but if you look closely, it's mentioned as "Winner at..." some obscure film festival you never heard of!

I tried to rep you, but had to spread it around. I agree 100%. Movies that will show "official selection" of some tedious unknown film festival. And what's worse is they'll show like three or four. for all we know it was a festival of five films and everyone won something and the budgets for them were under fifty grand. Not that that's neccessarily bad, because personally I hate big budget films. I think you get the point. I heard from a girl who worked many years in a video store that many reviews are paid for too. I always had wondered or suspected that, but then again, that is heresay. Anyway great post.

I also wanted to say as far as alot of recent "Average" movies that have made more money than some of the biggest movies like Star Wars, ET, Gone with the wind etc. And I've mentioned this already. For one, not only are ticket prices more than double what they were twenty years ago, they are more than quadruple what they were in the fifties, sixties and seventies. So that is very misleading. Plus, and I believe that you have to take into consideration population. I highly doubt that the United States had over 300 million people thirty or fourty years ago. The more people= the more possibilities of people going to see a movie. Every decade the United States grows.

Just thought I would add that in regards to my points. But overall it comes down to. If people are given a choice of good movies and are still willing to go to the movies (such as I) then they will pay to see mediocre movies.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:18 PM

9,972 posts, read 14,024,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
I tried to rep you, but had to spread it around. I agree 100%. Movies that will show "official selection" of some tedious unknown film festival. And what's worse is they'll show like three or four. for all we know it was a festival of five films and everyone won something and the budgets for them were under fifty grand. Not that that's neccessarily bad, because personally I hate big budget films. I think you get the point. I heard from a girl who worked many years in a video store that many reviews are paid for too. I always had wondered or suspected that, but then again, that is heresay. Anyway great post.

I also wanted to say as far as alot of recent "Average" movies that have made more money than some of the biggest movies like Star Wars, ET, Gone with the wind etc. And I've mentioned this already. For one, not only are ticket prices more than double what they were twenty years ago, they are more than quadruple what they were in the fifties, sixties and seventies. So that is very misleading. Plus, and I believe that you have to take into consideration population. I highly doubt that the United States had over 300 million people thirty or fourty years ago. The more people= the more possibilities of people going to see a movie. Every decade the United States grows.
Yes and a lot of that is just due to inflation as well... If you look at a list of the alltime top box office grosses adjested for inflation you get a very different picture:

All Time Box Office Adjusted for Ticket Price Inflation

Only one film (Avatar) is on the list from the last decade, and just three films from the 90s(Titanic, Jurrassic Park, and the Lion King). The top grossing films of all time are still films like Gone With The Wind, Star Wars, the Sound of Music, ET, and so on... So if that list is accurate, with a much higher US population than when most of the movies were released, it means that a lower percentage of Americans are attending even the biggest blockbusters these days. Although some of the classic films had multiple releases, many of them had plenty of repeat viewers during their original releases.

Now days the release strategy for big Hollywood films is to get as many people as possible to the film in the first weekend--prepare for the inevitable dropoff, and after the films get to the second run theaters after a month or so, after which it's just a few more months to the DVD and streaming. Which is they want need recognizable, marketable franchises(80s cartoons, superheroes, ) and lots of flashbang action, or lowbrow slapstick that will look good on a 20 second internet preview and get huge crowds for opening weekend. Only occasionally do you have more offbeat or serious word-of-mouth hits that hang on the theaters long enough to be discovered--but a lot of the better films(or popular cult films) these days end up just being hits on DVD, because they're pulled from the theaters quickly after disappointing original box office returns. It's hard to imagine a big budget epic like the Godfather films these days, that's both a huge hit, but serious and grand in it's scope. Except for occasional Oscar-bait, most big films are just action fodder or cartoons for the kiddies--although occasionally Pixar films are the most original blockbusters around.

Last edited by Deezus; 10-03-2011 at 05:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or