U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 07:44 AM

21,474 posts, read 22,729,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Take a look at the movies that came out in 1939 and tell me that it hasnt been a slow decline in quality ever since.
Gone With the Wind-Wizard of Oz-Stagecoach-Goodbye Mr. Chips-Hunchback of Notre Dame-Gunga Din-Ninotchka-Of Mice and Men-Drums Along the Mohawk-Beau Geste. And there are many more!
But there are plenty of movies that came out in 1939 that weren't that great and have been condemned to the dust bin of history. There are a handful of good movies that come out every year, and the rest are forgotten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 07:55 AM

2,198 posts, read 3,293,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Take a look at the movies that came out in 1939 and tell me that it hasnt been a slow decline in quality ever since.
Gone With the Wind-Wizard of Oz-Stagecoach-Goodbye Mr. Chips-Hunchback of Notre Dame-Gunga Din-Ninotchka-Of Mice and Men-Drums Along the Mohawk-Beau Geste. And there are many more!
I took a look. Choosing 1939, according to WikiPedia, is tilting the bias of your argument a bit much. I agree with your overall premise but how about choosing 1931 or 1930? If there's been a steady decline it seems just a little bit of an unfairness to use one fantastic year, overall, as the starting point.

That's a bit like arguing the case for global warming by choosing the coldest decade on record (1850s) as the starting point to compare everything since.

1939 in film - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However, we are in agreement that the Golden Age of Hollywood was, well, golden.

Classical Hollywood cinema - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-05-2011, 08:14 AM

22,275 posts, read 5,513,029 times
I sure am sick of the crap being churned out today. But, when the cinema going audience
are mainly young teenagers, that is the market being aimed at. Kids with short attention
span, who like quick moving, too many cuts, noisy, headache giving rubbish. Plus there is a
shortage of young movie stars. I was looking at a movie book from 1983. I made a quick
list of 26 male movie stars with output that year. Some are still working, but are getting on
in years, and can't be considered big stars today - but where are their replacements. Some
on my list are Robert Redford, Gene Hackman, Clint Eastwood, Warren Beatty, Paul Newman,
Al Pacino, Robert De Niro, James Woods, Richard Gere, Chris Walken, Harrison Ford, Sly
Stallone, Michael Caine, Steve Martin, Burt Reynolds, John Travolta, Michael Douglas - the
list goes on.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:22 PM

11,898 posts, read 14,375,910 times
I wouldn't say they are all crap, but when they have to do remakes of the great 80's movies, you know they are reaching. Case in point: Footloose. A great dance movie with a lot of hits they still play today. And they think it will be as good as the original? No way.

Old 10-22-2011, 04:46 PM

9 posts, read 13,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
People are stuck at their crappy jobs with crappy pay and benefits, crappy marriages living crappy lives so how much could they care about crappy movies?
It all makes me question deeply if the common people should have so much power in the buying market ( that is demand as in supply and demand) sometimes, and extending, to that in what the Constitution gives them. But back on topic.

We just don't have our old fashioned Prostestant/Catholic work ethic anymore instilled in my generation Gen Y.

Then there is the problem in Hollywood today of highly elitist classicist nepotist Jews who own all the studios, and you can't break in unless you have Jewish ancestry. This is not a wacko right wing rant, at all, when many of the complainers are non-white, and non-Christian, struggling for eternity to break in acting without Jewish DNA.

Old 10-22-2011, 04:58 PM

1,797 posts, read 2,335,743 times
Lets face it old movies had dialogue, the actors could actually speak, instead of mumbling and no gimmicks, cars, explosions and bimbo's.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:54 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,174,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanNitro View Post
Then there is the problem in Hollywood today of highly elitist classicist nepotist Jews who own all the studios, and you can't break in unless you have Jewish ancestry. This is not a wacko right wing rant, at all, when many of the complainers are non-white, and non-Christian, struggling for eternity to break in acting without Jewish DNA.
But weren't many of the old studio heads also Jewish? Mayer, Goldwyn, David O Selznick, all Jews, although they were a bit more conservative than the one running studios today.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:15 PM

1,797 posts, read 2,335,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
But weren't many of the old studio heads also Jewish? Mayer, Goldwyn, David O Selznick, all Jews, although they were a bit more conservative than the one running studios today.
You are correct, most of the writers,musical directors were Jewish and probably still are, they had the a lot of talent.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:23 PM

229 posts, read 162,648 times
Like music today, you just have to dig deeper to find a good one. Or read a book lol.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:26 PM

5,500 posts, read 4,417,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
The state of film-making today has become a sad situation. The movies that are approved to be made are strictly dictated by kids between 10-15, who plunk down money to see movies about fast cars, robots and machines destroying buildings, horror films, films showing an hour and a half of pyro technics and terrific special effects but devoid of plot ect...

I may be over generalizing ----I realize that. However, I just think all we are getting now are sequels on action films-----there are very few new and creative ideas these days.

The general notion is if something has gotten a lot of dollars before, why should we change a be creative----so expect more monsterous robots ect...
Film-making today (with few exceptions) operates under the premise influenced by "the law of supply and demand." An inescapable reality.

Romance genre...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or