U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 11:04 AM

400 posts, read 221,925 times

Advertisements

No. I generally avoid the crap. If other people want to watch it, that's fine.

There are several hundred films released annually in the United States. I don't want to see them all. Maybe I'll see a dozen or so in the theathers. Even if I saw one every week, and limited myself to only American films, I could stay in the top 12% of films.

But I hardly have to limit myself to American films-- they're making great English-language films in the UK, Australia, Canada and elsewhere. And I'm not above watching foreign-language films.

Besides, the majority of the films I watch are long gone from the theaters, so I can pick and choose from the best films of the past 80 years or so.

They made lots of crap in the "good old days". The thing is, all of the good old films are still available, while much of the crap is not. So looking at films from, say, 1981, reveals a skewed quality-to-crap ratio.

And when I go to the library, I don't concern myself with the 99% of books I don't want to read. Why should I? They have no bearing on the books I do want to read.

So it is as well with movies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 02:03 PM

7,022 posts, read 5,776,902 times
Default Why Was 2011 So Bad At The Box Office?

good time to bump this thread again

Why Was 2011 So Bad At The Box Office? (http://www.kpcnews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=23734 :Why-Was-2011-So-Bad-At-The-Box-Office?&catid=178:jenny-kobiela-mondor - broken link)
I've read a lot of 2011 post-mortems, but one of the most interesting things I learned was how poorly movies did at the box office this year. According to the Hollywood Reporter, domestic box office revenues were expected to reach about $10.2 billion, down 3.6 percent. A few weeks ago, it was the worst weekend for ticket sales since 9/11. But why?

Movie critic Roger Ebert has his theories, which are quite astute.

I don't have theories why movie attendance is down, I have legit reasons why people like myself don't go to the movies anymore-

- tickets are too expensive. When tickets were relatively cheap at $6 you didn't feel you wasted too much money if you saw a bad film. at $10 a pop it better be a great film.

- half-price matinees have been eliminated in my area (I don't know if this is a nationwide trend).

- going to the movies is no longer fun it's stressful. There are way too many people, especially teenagers and young kids, who do not know how to sit still, turn the gadgets off, be respectful of other people around them, and enjoy the movie QUIETLY.

- people eat their popcorn like pigs at the trough. I can tell that table manners are no longer taught at home because of the slovenly masticating sounds that gross me out and ruin the movie-going experience.

- too many cartoon family films. Qhatever happened to intelligent R-rated dramas and date movies aimed at the adult audience?

- movies have been dumbed-down to appeal to the 14 year old male moviegoer. That leaves out the other 80% of movie audiences who don't want to watch The Fast and The Furious part 9.

- when a rare interesting-looking film comes out that I want to see by the time I get around to seeing it it has already left the theater. Remember the days when movies would stick around for months? Then a year or so later it would appear on video or DVD. Not anymore. Now the movies are gone after two weeks and a month later it's available on DVD. Why even bother going?

Old 01-03-2012, 03:22 PM

111 posts, read 136,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post

Why Was 2011 So Bad At The Box Office? (http://www.kpcnews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=23734 :Why-Was-2011-So-Bad-At-The-Box-Office?&catid=178:jenny-kobiela-mondor - broken link)
I've read a lot of 2011 post-mortems, but one of the most interesting things I learned was how poorly movies did at the box office this year. According to the Hollywood Reporter, domestic box office revenues were expected to reach about $10.2 billion, down 3.6 percent. A few weeks ago, it was the worst weekend for ticket sales since 9/11. But why?

Movie critic Roger Ebert has his theories, which are quite astute.

I don't have theories why movie attendance is down, I have legit reasons why people like myself don't go to the movies anymore-

- tickets are too expensive. When tickets were relatively cheap at $6 you didn't feel you wasted too much money if you saw a bad film. at $10 a pop it better be a great film.

- half-price matinees have been eliminated in my area (I don't know if this is a nationwide trend).

- going to the movies is no longer fun it's stressful. There are way too many people, especially teenagers and young kids, who do not know how to sit still, turn the gadgets off, be respectful of other people around them, and enjoy the movie QUIETLY.

- people eat their popcorn like pigs at the trough. I can tell that table manners are no longer taught at home because of the slovenly masticating sounds that gross me out and ruin the movie-going experience.

- too many cartoon family films. Qhatever happened to intelligent R-rated dramas and date movies aimed at the adult audience?

- movies have been dumbed-down to appeal to the 14 year old male moviegoer. That leaves out the other 80% of movie audiences who don't want to watch The Fast and The Furious part 9.

- when a rare interesting-looking film comes out that I want to see by the time I get around to seeing it it has already left the theater. Remember the days when movies would stick around for months? Then a year or so later it would appear on video or DVD. Not anymore. Now the movies are gone after two weeks and a month later it's available on DVD. Why even bother going?
To Add:

There are websites like streaming websites (PM me for website names) where you can watch movies for free.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:50 PM

668 posts, read 787,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post

I would add another - the obscene proliferation of 3D movies. At any given point - from the start of the summer blockbuster season on - most multiplexes were showing only about half the number of movies they normally would, because they would have one screen devoted to a 3D version of a film and another devoted to a 2D version. So, rather than having two films which might cater to two different audiences, you are simply splitting a single audience. That might make single film revenues go up, but not the overall revenues for the theater.

That being said, I've mentioned in other threads that while yes, there was a lot of mindless crap out there this year, there was also a pretty solid slate of thoughtful movies aimed at adults if you could find them.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:21 PM

9,745 posts, read 13,664,160 times
The last time I went to the theater was, I think, 2003. The last few times I went it simply wasn't a pleasant experience. The movies weren't good enough to justify the cost, putting up with all the annoying, noisy people, and the audio is always MUCH louder than I can stand. Plus the picture on the screen always looked like crap because it's too big. So I just stopped paying attention to new movies altogether, and haven't looked back. Since then I took a liking to older movies and just no longer have any desire to see new ones.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:34 PM

17,678 posts, read 3,576,255 times
YES, once I discovered movies free online...well, I cannot remember when I last went to a theatre to see a film.

I like hulu.com but there are others as well. Plus, put on hold, go get a drink etc and start back whenever I like...great indie films, classics, some current ones but a bit later of course, and there are also interesting documentary films and tv shows too.

Plus I watch on my laptop in the bed ,snuggling with my cats. IMO, can't beat that with a stick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman Jr View Post
To Add:

There are websites like streaming websites (PM me for website names) where you can watch movies for free.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:36 PM

20,314 posts, read 37,820,570 times
I tend to agree with the OP and many of the responding comments, and I've voiced similar comments often in this forum.

Too many movies are lame. Comedies stretch credulity, the gimmicky sci-fi flicks are cool but earn a "so what" from me. I just can't get into the kind of fantasy where people can jump several stories high and land like a feather, never get hurt, bullets and zap-rays never find them, etc, and though some of these flicks are a good escape from reality it only takes me 1 or 2 per year to fulfill my appetite for such fare.

What I do like are TRUE stories. Real people and real events appeal to me, flicks like I Walk the Line, The Help, The King's Speech, Secretariat, Invictus, Food Inc, Seabiscuit, Charley Wilson's War, etc.

Of course, to each their own, if you like sci-fi, mystery, horror, action, that's perfectly fine, and I see a few, but far too many flicks today are just simply not to my interest and/or not all that well done. Funny, I grew up watching some of those old Japanese monster movies where you could see the strings holding up the rubber creatures....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-07-2012 at 03:16 PM..

Old 01-11-2012, 07:47 PM

6,682 posts, read 11,910,130 times
So many movies of today are pure crap. I think the movie business and movie theaters are on their way out. Don't know if it will be another 10 years or 20 years, but I can't see theaters being in business with the crap thats out. There are so many people now that don't go to the movies for a multitude of reasons. Lack of good films, The outrageous ticket price and concession prices. They are staying home and renting them and using Netflix.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:09 PM

20,879 posts, read 22,467,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
So many movies of today are pure crap. I think the movie business and movie theaters are on their way out. Don't know if it will be another 10 years or 20 years, but I can't see theaters being in business with the crap thats out. There are so many people now that don't go to the movies for a multitude of reasons. Lack of good films, The outrageous ticket price and concession prices. They are staying home and renting them and using Netflix.
This for sure. There are very few movies worth the price of admission, screaming kids, people texting on their cell phones and with plots I want to see. I have no problem waiting for those I am interested in to be available on NetFlix.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:03 AM

21,474 posts, read 22,729,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
This for sure. There are very few movies worth the price of admission, screaming kids, people texting on their cell phones and with plots I want to see. I have no problem waiting for those I am interested in to be available on NetFlix.
The good thing is that most of the movies that I want to see in the theater (foreign, independent, classic, etc.) are not the ones that attract the people with kids and the rude texting people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or