U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 11:21 AM

20,324 posts, read 37,832,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
This for sure. There are very few movies worth the price of admission, screaming kids, people texting on their cell phones and with plots I want to see. I have no problem waiting for those I am interested in to be available on NetFlix.
I irritate my wife by insisting we get to theatre early enough to get seats in the very back row, which is not a bad seat in today's megaplexes. In the back row there is NO ONE behind me to talk, use a phone, bump my seatback, and worst of all, cough and sneeze on me (yuck!).

We were at a show this past summer where a guy behind me had breath so bad it literally took your breath away; I've never experienced a human with such breath, he must have been a smoker of cigars made of *** tirds.

We go during the day while kids are in school and matinee prices are in effect. We avoid going to the movies on weekends and holidays and tend to wait a week before seeing new movies to avoid the larger crowds in the first few days. It works out rather well, since most new releases open on a Friday, by the following Tuesday or Wednesday we have the place, and the parking lot, to ourselves.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 12:47 PM

7,022 posts, read 5,778,848 times
Found this great article that speaks a lot of truth-

Top 10 Ways Hollywood Can Win Its Audience Back

1. Hollywood Needs Movie Stars, Not Brands Examples of movie stars: Sandra Bullock and Tom Cruise. Examples of brand stars: Shia LaBeouf and Megan Fox.

2. Stars Must Stop Insulting the Customers - I agree 100% with this. I believe most Americans are fine with politically active actors but these actors cross a line when they insult some of their fans by calling them racists or nazis or whatever is immature and guarantees their losing part of their movie-going audience. I soured on Tom Hanks because he felt the need to insult our war veterans.

3. Liberal Films Are Fine, Partisan Films Must Stop

4. Keep Politics Out of Children's Movies

5. Stop Marketing Exclusively to Teens

6. Go Back To Storytelling Basics, Crack the Code of the Classics

7. Learn From the NFL - This one surprised me and didn't seem to make any sense until I read the paragraph. I didn't know the NFL was that involved in marketing and creating star athletes.

8. Learn How to Market Fresh Ideas - There's absolutely no good reason why "Hugo" and "The Adventures of Tintin" should have bombed.

9. Stop Making Excuses for a Failing Home Video Market - [/i]Agreed, I'm tired of Hollywood trying to blame everything on "illegal downloads", that's a red herring and everybody knows it. Nobody wants to download bad movies even if they are free.

10. The Lousy Theatre Experience - Talkers, cell phones, ticket and concession prices. You’ve got to fix this. Right now, unless you’re the one doing the obnoxious talking, going to the theatre is a stressful and miserable experience.Moreover, you’re charging us too much for tickets, and the theatres are absolutely gouging us for food and drink.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:50 PM

20,893 posts, read 22,478,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
The good thing is that most of the movies that I want to see in the theater (foreign, independent, classic, etc.) are not the ones that attract the people with kids and the rude texting people.
I have seen people bring their kids to all types of movies. It's the parents who bring their kids in lieu of leaving them home with a baby sitter. And I have seen them at every type of movie including the type you describe.

I mean, what kid would be entertained by "The Help"?

Most movies I like don't require a large screen anyway.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:25 PM

7,022 posts, read 5,778,848 times
Time for an update.

Has your movie going experience been better, worse, or about the same this year?

Is it safe for adults to go back to the movies?
Some good news: there are signs that mainstream, major-studio dramas are making a comeback.

Old 12-22-2012, 04:51 PM

8,567 posts, read 9,340,236 times
Quote:
Are you sick of the crap being put out today? Let me clarify.
I look at it as though there is something for everybody. Not everyone is going to like 'The Sound of Music', not everyone is going to like 'Battle for L.A.' So if film makers want to make their investments in a film, I'm not going to be opposed as long as there is no government bailout. I quit going to theaters about the time of 'Star Wars'. Not because of 'Star Wars' but I just lost interest in wasting my cash on trash celluloid. If it's good enough I'll see it on TV, or Amazon Prime rental. And I don't rent very often.

I suspect theaters are closely associated with malls for a reason. Some people just need a place to park the kids or to go mindless themselves. Those aren't people with whom I'd choose to spend my time. And if I do go to the theater, it's likely to be a matinee at reduced price. And I prepare and cook my own food.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:03 AM

21,070 posts, read 15,259,347 times
I don't know that movies are overall worse than they ever were. There have always been B, C and even D movies (Plan 9 From Outer Space, anyone?) The difference, I think, is that as we age, we tend to remember them with fondness whereas we look at current releases with a more critical eye.
There have always been remakes. Heck, John Wayne made the same movie twice.
I still enjoy a lot of the movies made today and as with music, I find hanging on to a particular time or era and comparing or dismissing everything that comes after, a certain form of snobbery that I have no use for.
I'll take "Lord of the Rings" over "Gone with the Wind" any and every day.
And, while I do love the old musicals with Fred Astaire, for example, the storylines are no more realistic than are those of the "Underworld" series though I find both equally stylish.
One thing that has changed for me is that as I get older, what I want from a movie has changed. I no longer want to be emotionally manipulated (and I now recognize it as such) so I would never see something like "Love Story" (pretty bad, BTW) today.
As for actually going to the theater, again, the older I get the less willing and able I am to give up two or more hours to doing nothing but watching a movie. That, more than the available "product" is a much greater determinant of whether I go to the theater. Went to see " The Avenger's" on Mother's Day because it was easy to give myself the afternoon off.
But except for special occasion viewing, hard to justify that block of time.

I will, however, be in the theater for "Les Mis." Merry Christmas!

Old 12-23-2012, 10:13 AM

5,798 posts, read 5,243,934 times
Obviously movies aren't nearly as good as they were during the seventies when the major studios would actually pursue the making of classics such as 'Chinatown', 'One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest', 'Network' and dozens of others; nowadays, similar movies are backed by entities you've never heard since the major studios are fixated on event movies for 15 year olds such as Transformers and cross-promoting the heck out of all of them.

Look at the ads in your Sunday newspaper today for all of the 'Oscar-season' releases and you'll get my point; I also can't stand people who whip out their cell phones immediately upon taking their seats in a movie theatre, since that behavior is extremely rude.

Being pulled around by your nose to a cellphone is a pretty pathetic way to live, and there's no reason to do so in a movie theatre or any other indoor venue.

Thank goodness I don't go to the movies at night here in LA when I can see movies for $7.00 or less during the daytime.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:19 PM

33,954 posts, read 32,416,664 times
You know, I used to think the older movies were better when I was younger and watched them but when I watch them again now, I'm not so sure. I think a lot of the much older movies are over-acted and the movies from the 70s depended too much on the saxaphone music. For example, I think "Gone With The Wind" is the most hammy acting I have ever seen/heard next to "The Bad Seed" and "Whatever Happened To Baby Jane" and yet actors from those movies got Oscar nominations/awards in their day.

But as far as originality goes, the writers back then were much better than what we have now.

I think 30 years from now, people will look back at movies from 2000 - 2012 and wonder why there was so much cheesy special effects.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:26 PM

4,004 posts, read 5,091,123 times
I actually believe the general quality of movies is far higher on average than say, 5 or 10 or 20 years ago.

I avoid going to the movies like the plague (sitting in a dark room with sniffing strangers is just not my thing) but even I plan to go this holiday as there are a couple of movies I'm dying to see on the big screen.

I can't even remember the last time I felt this way.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:06 AM

18,856 posts, read 30,492,371 times
I am so old, that now I see re makes of older films. There are so many being done today...same theme, different actors. Can't Hollywood do original films any longer? A good example of this is "Les Miserables".

Which is why, when I do see an original film, like, "Life of Pi", I am pleasantly entertained.

I am extremely disturbed by the escalating violence in movies. Does life imitate art? Or vice versa?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or