Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 10:36 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,149,092 times

Advertisements

Let me clarify.

First and foremost I am a big movie buff. So I've seen most everything at least worth seeing. I always go to the movie store on tuesday when the new releases come out, and I gotta say, that I am highly dissapointed with the movie business in the last few years.

For one the quality of movies suck. What is the deal with constant remakes? With the exception of a few, most are hard to take. They are rarely bareable to watch simply because for many of us they don't come close to the original and for thoses who have seen the original it is hard to not constantly compare them while viewing.

Enough of the remakes already.

Start taking some of those good movies scripts off the shelves and get some intelligent thought provoking movies out there.

It seems to me like the movies of the eighties and nineties where much better. More plot to them and just better in almost all areas.

I personally can't take most of the crappy action movies being pumped out left and right. It feels like their all the same. I'm not to into big budget movies. You can spend all the money in the world on special effects, but if the movie lacks an adequate plot then I will be be bored to death.

And last but not least, enough of all of these cheasy cheaply made, awfully plotted horror movies. My god when does it end? I've never seen so many stupid rediculous horror movies being pumped out in the last decade than at any other time.

I take back the last but not least, because darn it, I'm on a roll.

Hollywood--wake up. Enough cartoon or kid movies. I get it, they are moneymakers. But when half the movies to view at any given mall is for a ten year old or younger you are losing your mature audience.

Stop dumbing down movies. Most of us don't need or want a cheesy car chase in a movie. Start putting out intelligent movies. Take a risk. Isn't that what hollywood is about? I think that they cater to much to knuckleheads and kids. If you put intelligent movies out there adults will come.

I truly think that hollywood is losing its mojo as far as movie producing. The product is not the same as yesteryear and the results are showing by attendance in theatres.

As someone who loves movies, please stop putting out this regurgitated crap and cheesy remakes. Give some of us Americans a little confidence that if you make a good film we will notice and come see.

rant over.

Thanks for listening.

smp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 10:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,797 times
Wink movies so numerous that all types now available

waste of time to criticize mass media movies, as there are hundreds of intellectual, artsy, etc. movies made in numerous countries.....with sub-titles, English dubbed. seek and ye shall find and let go of criticism.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tom View Post
waste of time to criticize mass media movies, as there are hundreds of intellectual, artsy, etc. movies made in numerous countries.....with sub-titles, English dubbed. seek and ye shall find and let go of criticism.

I know I actually watch alot of them. I like how the people look more real too. But, then again, I would like to watch movies instead of reading movies. I find (and I've watched alot of them) that when you are constantly reading there's good and bad to them. The good is that you don't miss any of the plot. Sometimes it's hard to hear everything said in a movie. The bad is that you are not paying attention to the subtle subtleties and nuances since you are so focused on reading what is being said.

And as far as criticizing. I'll criticize what I want. If I find that American movies suck today, then I'll say it. Don't ever tell me how to speak or what I can say again. Thank you.

Didn't mean to be blunt, but I hate when people tell others what they should or shouldn't say. You don't know me, and its quite nervy for you to tell me how what I should or shouldn't say..

Last edited by supermanpansy; 09-25-2011 at 11:36 AM..

Old 09-25-2011, 12:11 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,222,421 times
I totally agree with you, SMP! Of course, I thought my view was due to increasing age and intolerance with the general dumbing-down of education and culture at every level in society, IMHO.

Most movies being made in America today are indeed "crap" geared to the teen male demographic, with non-existent character development, dramatic tension, sharp direction and editing, or acting chops on the part of the main characters. Yes, there are exceptions but I am generalizing for the sake of the OP's thread intent.

I find myself turning more and more to watching my favorite classic films over and over, rather than subject myself to what passes for entertainment today.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:45 AM

103 posts, read 208,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
Let me clarify.

First and foremost I am a big movie buff. So I've seen most everything at least worth seeing. I always go to the movie store on tuesday when the new releases come out, and I gotta say, that I am highly dissapointed with the movie business in the last few years.

For one the quality of movies suck. What is the deal with constant remakes? With the exception of a few, most are hard to take. They are rarely bareable to watch simply because for many of us they don't come close to the original and for thoses who have seen the original it is hard to not constantly compare them while viewing.

Enough of the remakes already.

Start taking some of those good movies scripts off the shelves and get some intelligent thought provoking movies out there.

It seems to me like the movies of the eighties and nineties where much better. More plot to them and just better in almost all areas.

I personally can't take most of the crappy action movies being pumped out left and right. It feels like their all the same. I'm not to into big budget movies. You can spend all the money in the world on special effects, but if the movie lacks an adequate plot then I will be be bored to death.

And last but not least, enough of all of these cheasy cheaply made, awfully plotted horror movies. My god when does it end? I've never seen so many stupid rediculous horror movies being pumped out in the last decade than at any other time.

I take back the last but not least, because darn it, I'm on a roll.

Hollywood--wake up. Enough cartoon or kid movies. I get it, they are moneymakers. But when half the movies to view at any given mall is for a ten year old or younger you are losing your mature audience.

Stop dumbing down movies. Most of us don't need or want a cheesy car chase in a movie. Start putting out intelligent movies. Take a risk. Isn't that what hollywood is about? I think that they cater to much to knuckleheads and kids. If you put intelligent movies out there adults will come.

I truly think that hollywood is losing its mojo as far as movie producing. The product is not the same as yesteryear and the results are showing by attendance in theatres.

As someone who loves movies, please stop putting out this regurgitated crap and cheesy remakes. Give some of us Americans a little confidence that if you make a good film we will notice and come see.

rant over.

Thanks for listening.

smp
TV is better.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:39 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
<shrug> You mistake movies for "product." Product is what is marketed according to demographics and buying power. "Movies" are more of a gamble, as the audience can be limited or fragmented.

There were more horror movies released in the 1960s / 1970s, but many of them were designed as second feature drive-in fare, or were simply retitled and re-released with a different ad campaign.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:02 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,760,459 times
Most of the movies today are crap....I would put the figure at 90%. If it seems like a borderline film, I will go to the dollar show to see it and we have a nice clean one in Plano,Texas if you ever visit.

Cinemark Plano Movies 10 - Plano, TX

Old 09-26-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
<shrug> You mistake movies for "product." Product is what is marketed according to demographics and buying power. "Movies" are more of a gamble, as the audience can be limited or fragmented.

There were more horror movies released in the 1960s / 1970s, but many of them were designed as second feature drive-in fare, or were simply retitled and re-released with a different ad campaign.

Please really. Enough with the "technical" lessons today. I have already gotten a few from other threads. I think that you got the jist of what I am saying, but you just felt the need to enlighten us all with your wisdom. Kudo's to you. If that is all you have to contribute to this thread, then why bother? Did you just want to show us how freaking smart you are? We're impressed, or I should say that I'm impressed. Happy?

Old 09-26-2011, 10:59 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
Please really. Enough with the "technical" lessons today. I have already gotten a few from other threads. I think that you got the jist of what I am saying, but you just felt the need to enlighten us all with your wisdom. Kudo's to you. If that is all you have to contribute to this thread, then why bother? Did you just want to show us how freaking smart you are? We're impressed, or I should say that I'm impressed. Happy?
Oh come on, don't get all bent out of shape over Harry, even if he was being sarcastic and giving out rancor, I doubt it was directed towards you. Besides, you never let a chick pea on you before?
I kid! I kid!

Anyhow, what he stated was true and I also agree with Texan, the percentage of crappy films Hollywood has been churning out for at least the last decade is at least 80% imho. It is so known and sadly accepted that I don't see the point in discussing it anymore.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:10 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,126,379 times
The state of film-making today has become a sad situation. The movies that are approved to be made are strictly dictated by kids between 10-15, who plunk down money to see movies about fast cars, robots and machines destroying buildings, horror films, films showing an hour and a half of pyro technics and terrific special effects but devoid of plot ect...

I may be over generalizing ----I realize that. However, I just think all we are getting now are sequels on action films-----there are very few new and creative ideas these days.

The general notion is if something has gotten a lot of dollars before, why should we change a be creative----so expect more monsterous robots ect...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies