Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 05:44 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,647,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
And I agree with Stan, it isn't what people want. If that is all that you have to choose from, than that is all you have to choose from. I've gone to many movies this and last year that seemed mediocre but everything looked mediocre. Plus attendance at movies this decade is at an all time low. Don't count from what movies make, because movies cost more than twice what they did twenty years ago. Your idea of, "if people went to see better movies, then better movies would be made", is absolutely not true. There have been numerous articles in Time, Newsweek, entertainment etc on this very subject. In one they used the movie, "kings Speach" as an example of an intelligent movie that was heralded and people did go see it. I think the problem stems from greed. They know that kids parents (little kids who watch cartoons) need something to do with their kids so they make a million little kids movies. They're big moneymakers.

The other part, is that America is dumbed down. I believe we are at an age' where we want everything now. No patience. Many people don't want to wait through some lags to get to the point or best parts. We have to constantly throw action at the viewer non stop to get their attention. This is just the world we live in today. I actually watch alot of old movies from the fifties and sixties. But that's just me. I've seen everything there is to see in the last thirty years so now I've branched out. I watch alot of sub titled movies too, but I have found that there are subtleties and slight nuances that you just don't get. Mainly because you are focusing on reading the movie. At the same rate, by reading the film, you don't miss much. However, I have just rented a movie called Red. A subtitled film and their were times in the movie where the main character was looking down at a newspaper (which was not subtitled) and that was information that was important that I could not obtain.
I agree with much of what you said, especially about the dumbing down, but I stand by my idea that it's what people want. Most people. Not necessarily that they literally want crap, but what they gravitate to is films with action, violence, profanity, simple dialogue, superficial character development, showy visuals, familiar material (e.g. comic books), and happy endings.

As to your example of The King's Speech. Perhaps it's true that many people whom you and I know did see it, and perhaps it's true that it made a reasonable amount of money, but in that year, 2010, it ranked 18th, and was out-earned bya big batch of movies geared to an adolescent mindset, or really for kids, and almost all of them falling under the category of familiar material (sequels), starting with Toy Story 3. And 2009 looks even worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 06:29 PM

571 posts, read 1,302,740 times
I don't think most people know that the crap is crap, nor do they really care.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:22 PM

8,300 posts, read 13,432,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1 View Post
I don't think most people know that the crap is crap, nor do they really care.
People are stuck at their crappy jobs with crappy pay and benefits, crappy marriages living crappy lives so how much could they care about crappy movies?

Old 10-04-2011, 08:33 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,477,811 times
I saw an ad last night for a remake of FOOTLOOSE. My guess is this will be another time they should have left well enough alone.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:00 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,148,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
I saw an ad last night for a remake of FOOTLOOSE. My guess is this will be another time they should have left well enough alone.

The first one was lame. I don't know why they felt the need to pick from that apple tree again...When we're making remakes of already lame originals it says alot about where were at with movie making at this point of time.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
The first one was lame. I don't know why they felt the need to pick from that apple tree again...When we're making remakes of already lame originals it says alot about where were at with movie making at this point of time.
I had no problems with the original. I like movies based on real events and places. As the original was. Great soundtrack too.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:12 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,888,437 times
As a 33 year old, I think this era is a nightmare for movies.

-From about 2002/03 to 2010. I'd call it a dark age. Look at all the remakes. Herbie Fully Loaded. Dukes of Hazzard. It started there and got worst. Those were back in 2005, and I think they look good vs the remakes of 2008-2010.

Karate Kid was sacrilege IMO. *Horrible* boundy crossed there.

-Technology has damaged movies IMO.

It use to be stories, character, plot first....technology second. I.e. in the late 70's, 80's or 90's.

Now technology (cgi) is like this new toy, that won't shut off. I think part of the art of movie making is lost with cheap and (easily accesible) technology.

In the old days with puppets (i.e. star wars) there use to be more care and thought. Or the use of minatures.

-This collaboration with video games has hurt movies. I think they've blurred the line with video games and movies. It all becomes "entertainment"....but people want movies.

-Also the shorter duration in theaters. Remember in the 80's or 90's when movies would stay for months? Remember titanic in 1997 and 98? It was the number one movie for 5 months. It played for a year or something.

I remember home alone played for a long time (1990). A lot of movies. It diminishes the experience....this, get them in, get them out mentality.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:13 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,325,252 times
"Are you sick of the crap being put out today?"

So, you think this is a recently, new phenomena? Cracks me up when people say, "...these days", "today", "now days", etc. as if the 'old days', or 'back in the day' were somehow different.

But, "yes", today's crap is crappier than yesterday's crap in that the mainstream crap is the same crap over and over. Unlike yesterday's crap where you knew it was crap before you saw it. There used to be a better delineation of crap.

Yesterday, if you went to see, "The Amazon Women of Mars", you could be pretty assured where this movie would be on the crap-meter. Now there were the isolated break-out crappy movies that became less crappy. For me, The Blob, is a break-out crappy movie; it's a childhood favorite of mine. But, for the most part, a crappy movie was a crappy movie and that's what we knew we were paying to see.

But we had a choice. Every week or few weeks a bunch of movies would come to town and we'd have a choice: Crappy vs not-crappy. The crappy movies were generally horror, westerns, sci-fi, and teen angst/coming of age. The non-crappy movies tended to be drama, romance, and sci-fi. Sci-fi is special in that it's so easy for it to be crappy but when it's not, it's not.

Today, crap is camouflaged in the name of a re-make of a non-crappy movie from yesterday.

The other thing, which is not new at all, is there are so few actors for so many roles. Now this has always been the case, if not more so in the Golden Age of Hollywood. But, seriously, couldn't we double or triple the available stock of actors? If I see the same actor in 10 different major movies over a 3-5 yr. span then some of the believability is gone. Spread the opportunity, wealth, and celebrity around.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:19 AM

Take a look at the movies that came out in 1939 and tell me that it hasnt been a slow decline in quality ever since.
Gone With the Wind-Wizard of Oz-Stagecoach-Goodbye Mr. Chips-Hunchback of Notre Dame-Gunga Din-Ninotchka-Of Mice and Men-Drums Along the Mohawk-Beau Geste. And there are many more!

Last edited by Capt. Dan; 10-05-2011 at 07:32 AM..

Old 10-05-2011, 07:36 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,325,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Take a look at the movies that came out in 1939 and tell me that it hasnt been a slow decline in quality ever since.
I'm with ya'. I'm so glad TMC isn't showing their digitially coloured movies anymore. Those old black and white films from the 30's and 40's can be so great to watch. It was tough getting my wife to watch them but now she's coming around.

We saw a movie about Winter squatters in a mansion and the separated owners of it were pretending to be squatters also. Charming film. Wish I could remember the name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies